ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR/NTL Biometric Immigration Doc App Help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wclark1238
Newly Registered

ILR/NTL Biometric Immigration Doc App Help

Post by wclark1238 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:28 pm

US citizen granted ILR at age of 11 in 1973. Have now fallen foul of recent law changes meaning I have difficulty in proving my eligibility to work in UK - my ILR stamp is in old/expired passport which is no longer acceptable to prospective employer as proof of my eligibility. Therefore have decided to apply for NTL Biometric Immigration Document which will act as my proof to possible employers of my eligibility to work here.

My concern (and question) relates to the requirement on the NTL form (section 3) to document all absences from the UK of greater than 6 months. I spent some time in the United States Air Force and therefore was outside of the UK for a few periods in excess of 6 months.

4/2/87 - 4/9/87 Outside of UK (in USA) due to working for USAF
Then a short term visit to UK for family reasons.
7/9/87 - 19/4/89 Outside of UK (in Guam) due to working for USAF
Then a short term visit to UK for family reasons.
??/4/89 - 9/2/90 Outside of UK (in Guam) due to working for USAF
Returned to UK (due to USAF posting to RAF Alconbury). Left USAF in 04/94 and have remained in UK ever since with only short term work or holiday absences.

All of the above listed exits from and entries to the UK in green font are documented in my passports whereas my exit from the UK some time within a week or so of 19/4/89 (red font) is not documented within my passport - I did not collect a stamp in passport upon embarkation.

So, my longest absence was for 590 days (well within the 2 year limit it appears) however over a 3 year period from Feb 87 to Feb 90 I was only in the UK for approximately 2 weeks. Can anyone advise how my 'case' is likely to be viewed by those at the Home Office who sit in judgement?

I joined the USAF, at that time, in the interests of gaining work experience but did so solely with the intention of returning to the UK upon completion of my initial enlistment. I was lucky enough to get an assignment to Alconbury which got my back here even more quickly but when my enlistment was up in 94 I left the USAF and have worked for UK employers since.

Hope that someone can provide some reassurances as I am feeling a bit troubled about all of this. I have lived and worked here (almost) all of my life. I have a wife and step-children here as well as an elderly mother whereas I have no connection (save my passport) with the USA so do not relish the prospect of being told that I somehow 'relinquished' my ILR as a result of my absence(s) in the time from Feb. 87 to Feb. 90 :cry: