ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

information about parents

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amzad
Newly Registered

information about parents

Post by amzad » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:28 am

i am wondering if anyone has had to enter info about their parents when applying for citizenship to any country. i would like to know the relevance of your parents info when applying for citizenship since it is you that is applying and not your parents.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:25 pm

They probably ask this to ascertain if you are already a citizen without realising it or that you might be eligible to get citizenship by means other than naturalisation.

Unless you have something to hide I don't see what the big deal is.

amzad
Newly Registered

Post by amzad » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:34 pm

i doubt it has anything to do with that because i was looking at the uk holiday work visa application and they also asked parents date of birth and address. i found it strange for them to ask and cant figure out what the relevance is. if anyone knows, please enlighten.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:17 pm

amzad wrote:i doubt it has anything to do with that because i was looking at the uk holiday work visa application and they also asked parents date of birth and address. i found it strange for them to ask and cant figure out what the relevance is. if anyone knows, please enlighten.
If you are a British citizen you cannot be issued with a visa either. Another reason is identity verification.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:43 pm

I just had to renew my UK passport, and there is a section on the form for parents' details, including parents' passport numbers. The guidance notes even mutter about needing to provide grandparents' details under some circumstances.

I didn't need to fill it in as I was renewing, but the box is obviously there for some people.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.