ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

where to find life in the uk test material free

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Only yours

where to find life in the uk test material free

Post by Only yours » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:32 am

Hi,

which chapters should we read to pass the life in the uk test?

is there a website where i can download those chapters free rather than buying a book.

thank you

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 am

LIVERPOOL4EVER
Newly Registered

Re: where to find life in the uk test material free

Post by LIVERPOOL4EVER » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Only yours wrote:Hi,

is there a website where i can download those chapters free rather than buying a book.

thank you
I have downloaded the book from the internet the second edition. don't know the rules here if I can put the link where i dowloaded from. I'll send it to you as private message anyway

the chapters you need to study are from chapter 2 to chapter 6.

Taha
Newly Registered

Post by Taha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 pm

I have passed the test prepared from following website:

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

i find it quite helpful .....

Wish you all the best !!

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 am

I passed the test without any preparation at all :roll:
The questions are really easy - well, easy if you know the history of UK and lived here for a while.

I was going to prepare, honest - I even bought an official book (as downloadable DRM-protected PDF :evil:). But then the deadline at work happened, and so no time for preparation. In fact I did not have any sleep the night before the test - I almost felt asleep during it!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:49 am

My favourites: What is a Quango? Who has precedence. The House of Commons or the House of Lords? How many weeks after Easter does Mothers Day fall every year?
If you can answer questions like these without reading the study book you have better knowledge of the UK than I have...and I was born here. :roll:

king_kong

Familiar face

Post by king_kong » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 am

When I went for the test, the staff were very friendly (to everybody), but were extra friendly to one particular guy. I was wondering why.
I gathered that he is a familiar face in the test center as he has taken the test sufficient number of times and failed.
Preparation always helps.
I bought all the 3 books.
Prepared flash cards with the facts.
Prepared a "wall of post its" to make the facts like percentages, polulation, child labor etc etc to make facts stick to my brain.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:58 am

Good advice King Kong. :wink:

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Casa wrote:If you can answer questions like these without reading the study book you have better knowledge of the UK than I have...and I was born here. :roll:
I actually can answer all of these questions :shock:
Then again, I contracted for one of the organisations in your post recently - so it was easy :wink:

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:31 pm

You have already received good suggestions. I wanted to write my experience anyway as this forum has really helped me and as a member I feel obelised to share my experience, hence using this opportunity to summarise:

1.Get hold of the official book (Hard copy or electronic copy). I find reading from a hard copy easier hence I got it from my local library. Glance through the official book in the first go just to understand the areas and coverage. Also in my opinion you do not need to buy multiple books just have the main book - Life in the United Kingdom: a guide for new residents 3rd addition
2.Identify chapters that needs more revision than others after the first glance
3.Go through the entire book once – Make notes of data like name of wives of king, population, king hierarchy, legal system across different countries like England and Scotland etc…..
4.Do practice test from https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test-1/
5.Attempt 5-6 tests from this website – understand the areas you are making mistakes and connect them with the corresponding chapters in the official book
6.Read the official book second time and give emphasis to chapters identified as area of improvement from your test results
7.Update your notes from point 3 above. Typically in the first reading my notes was about 8-10 pages that reduced to 3-4 pages after the second time reading as the areas that I needed to repeat again reduced drastically after second reading
8.Now take all the tests from the website mentioned above you will find it easy after you have read the book twice. Most of your questions in actual test will be covered in the 41 tests from https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk
9.Come back and read the specific chapter / notes for any specific area if it is still troubling you

This is a method I used and think it may work for most . I found the actual test to be easier from the tets from the practice website mentioned above as there were only couple of question on figures/data / % – an area that took 80% of my preparation time as the other details are easy to remember after first time read of the book. Remember you will be ok even if you get few of them wrong in the actual test.

As of the rule today the pass result is valid for ever, hence pls attempt the test well in advance and do not leave it till last month of your ILR application. I did it in March 2015 when my actual ILR is due in April 2016. I had also booked an additional test one week after date of my first test just in case I fail .I did not want to wait for couple of weeks to get a slot. Ofcourse I passed in the first attempt and the result was told to me immediately after the test and first thing I did after coming back home was to cancel the test booked the next week as a contingency. The idea was that I felt that I will forget all the facts and figures if I wait for couple of weeks after failing in the first attempt hence went ahead and booked second one. You don’t lose any money if you cancel in time.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Jacob

Kmaj007
BANNED

Post by Kmaj007 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Only yours wrote:Hi,

thank you

it will only cost you £16 for the book, why can't you buy it.... shame

Kmaj007
BANNED

Re:

Post by Kmaj007 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:17 pm

wunder wrote:I passed the test without any preparation at all :roll:
The questions are really easy - well, easy if you know the history of UK and lived here for a while.

I was going to prepare, honest - I even bought an official book (as downloadable DRM-protected PDF :evil:). But then the deadline at work happened, and so no time for preparation. In fact I did not have any sleep the night before the test - I almost felt asleep during it!
This test is mostly for people who have no knowledge of UK history, like what happened from Romans era to anglo saxons, since you were part of british history, you don't need any preparation. Concentrate on work deadlines mate, i hope you all the best in life, do pary for commoners like myself :D

Kmaj007
BANNED

Post by Kmaj007 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Jacob123 wrote:You have already received good suggestions. I wanted to write my experience anyway as this forum has really helped me and as a member I feel obelised to share my experience, hence using this opportunity to summarise:

1.Get hold of the official book (Hard copy or electronic copy). I find reading from a hard copy easier hence I got it from my local library. Glance through the official book in the first go just to understand the areas and coverage. Also in my opinion you do not need to buy multiple books just have the main book - Life in the United Kingdom: a guide for new residents 3rd addition
2.Identify chapters that needs more revision than others after the first glance
3.Go through the entire book once – Make notes of data like name of wives of king, population, king hierarchy, legal system across different countries like England and Scotland etc…..
4.Do practice test from https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test-1/
5.Attempt 5-6 tests from this website – understand the areas you are making mistakes and connect them with the corresponding chapters in the official book
6.Read the official book second time and give emphasis to chapters identified as area of improvement from your test results
7.Update your notes from point 3 above. Typically in the first reading my notes was about 8-10 pages that reduced to 3-4 pages after the second time reading as the areas that I needed to repeat again reduced drastically after second reading
8.Now take all the tests from the website mentioned above you will find it easy after you have read the book twice. Most of your questions in actual test will be covered in the 41 tests from https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk
9.Come back and read the specific chapter / notes for any specific area if it is still troubling you

This is a method I used and think it may work for most . I found the actual test to be easier from the tets from the practice website mentioned above as there were only couple of question on figures/data / % – an area that took 80% of my preparation time as the other details are easy to remember after first time read of the book. Remember you will be ok even if you get few of them wrong in the actual test.

As of the rule today the pass result is valid for ever, hence pls attempt the test well in advance and do not leave it till last month of your ILR application. I did it in March 2015 when my actual ILR is due in April 2016. I had also booked an additional test one week after date of my first test just in case I fail .I did not want to wait for couple of weeks to get a slot. Ofcourse I passed in the first attempt and the result was told to me immediately after the test and first thing I did after coming back home was to cancel the test booked the next week as a contingency. The idea was that I felt that I will forget all the facts and figures if I wait for couple of weeks after failing in the first attempt hence went ahead and booked second one. You don’t lose any money if you cancel in time.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Jacob

You should be awarded PhD in British history rather having a paper saying LIUK passed, You are a Gem