ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Register as british?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsyasin

Register as british?

Post by hsyasin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Hey all,
I was wondering if I could find anyone in the same situation as mine. And of course, expert input is always highly appreciated.
Now, I was born here in 1984 and my parents, stayed here for 6years and went back around 1987. And back then, people with pakistani passports didn't have any trouble getting here, as visa was very easy to get. So, my parents thought they didn't need to get british passports, and we can come here as easily whenever we want to. Which is clearly not the case anymore. I've read that u can be eligible if one of ur parents was on a settled category, but if they haven't kept their very old passports how can one prove that or while applying for naturalisation :?:
The only thing I've is a british birth certificate, I mean I'm on Tier1(G), but was having converstion with a friend and he said that one of his friends(who moved from here and not in touch anymore) was in similar situation. And found out that he was born here so, he applied and got passport.
If there's any possibility that I can skip the whole ilr part and go straight for passport based on being born here and then been in the UK since 2007(student then PSW then T1), I would be very very thankful if someone could point it out.

vinny

Re: Register as british?

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:47 pm

If one of your parents had ILR at the time of your birth, then you are automatically British. Else, unfortunately, you are probably out of luck.

Perhaps your friend was born prior to 1983?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't know actually, coz when i told my friend about being born here, he asked what.. which year, i said 84, and he said no my friend was born in 84 too..
maybe he's mistaken... oh well :(

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:57 am

Another possibility was that they issued your friend's passport in error.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.