ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for a child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MJ1989
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for a child

Post by MJ1989 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi guys,

My family and I moved to the UK 11 years ago, at the time my brother was only 9 months old. He is now 12 and I would like to apply for a British passport for him. I naturalised last year and am now a British citizen, both my parents and brother have Indian passports with ILR visas (since 2006).

I want to know whether we can apply for my brother to be naturalised even though neither of my parents hold British passport?

Thanks
MJ

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation for a child

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:55 pm

Children under the age of 12 do not naturalise, they get registered.

Children born abroad get registered at the discretion of the Home Office. They typically only exercise discretion if the parents are naturalised.

As neither parent is naturalised, it is unlikely that a child registration application would succeed.

Your sibling can of course naturalise when he meets all the requirements as an adult after the age of 18.

As an aside, on what basis did you get your citizenship? Were you naturalised (as an adult) or registered (as a child) and were you born in the UK or overseas?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MJ1989
Newly Registered

Post by MJ1989 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi,

thanks for your reply - so he has to wait until he is over 18 to naturalise or can he do so once he turns 13?

I am 25 so I applied as an adult and was granted my citizenship with no requisite regarding my family.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:34 am

secret.simon wrote:Children under the age of 12 do not naturalise, they get registered.
That was my mistake. Children under the age of 18 (minors) do not naturalise, they get registered.

You can try to apply on Form MN1 under Section 3(1) and put in all the reasons that he should be granted British citizenship. It is a gamble and you may lose all the money on the application, because, as mentioned above, it is at discretion and his case would be an exception to the currently existing guidance on exercise of discretion.

He can naturalise in his own right at the age of 18.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:25 am

MJ1989 wrote:Hi,

thanks for your reply - so he has to wait until he is over 18 to naturalise or can he do so once he turns 13?

I am 25 so I applied as an adult and was granted my citizenship with no requisite regarding my family.
If one parent applies to naturalise at the same time then the registration of child (under 18) will still be at Home Secretary's discretion but the case will have more chance.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

MJ1989
Newly Registered

Post by MJ1989 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Thank you both, very helpful!

MJ1989
Newly Registered

Post by MJ1989 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi

I have a follow up question - if my brother does get registered and all goes well - is he then a British citizen and can obtain a British passport? or will he have to apply for naturalisation when he's 18?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 am

he then a British citizen and can obtain a British passport
Yes
will he have to apply for naturalisation when he's 18?
No, because he will already be British!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.