ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

4-months gap in job history

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Queen-Rudi
Newly Registered

4-months gap in job history

Post by Queen-Rudi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a applying for naturalisation as a British citizen based on being an EEA national that has lived in the U.K. for more than 6 years. I have just submitted my application via the Nationality Checking Services. The majority of documents/ history was fine.

However, there was one wobbly factor that the service lady wasn't sure would be accepted. I basically had a 4-month gap between two jobs, during which I was travelling in Canada for around two months. There were no other employment gaps and I could prove that taxes were paid correctly that year. Also, my total absence for the relevant year amounted to a total of 65 days, so even less than 3 months.

I was wondering what your view on the matter is and whether I need to be concerned that HO will not accept my application?

aragon

Re: 4-months gap in job history

Post by aragon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Nothing to worry at all. Employment is not a requirement for British Citizenship. My wife has got 3 years gap between her present job and the previous job. NCS lady had no concerns about it.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Queen-Rudi wrote:...

However, there was one wobbly factor that the service lady wasn't sure would be accepted. I basically had a 4-month gap between two jobs, during which I was travelling in Canada for around two months. There were no other employment gaps and I could prove that taxes were paid correctly that year. Also, my total absence for the relevant year amounted to a total of 65 days, so even less than 3 months.

I was wondering what your view on the matter is and whether I need to be concerned that HO will not accept my application?
In terms of establishing you had acquired PR (as the necessary prerequisite to naturalisation of having settled status), a 2 month gap abroad falls within the 6 months absence (in a year) that is permissible under EU rules.
(You should be able to maintain a continuing right of residence in UK with just a 2 month vacation).

Was the travelling during the period you need to establish PR?
Or was it after you had acquired PR?
Do you hold (& did you submit) a 'confirmation of PR' card to support your application?

Did you have evidence of jobseeking in the other part of the gap (in UK)?

In terms of naturalisation, not a concern for (or any business of) HO.
My wife applied as home-maker with zero employment history.
All was good.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Queen-Rudi
Newly Registered

Post by Queen-Rudi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks a lot for your answers.

The two months travelling were indeed during the period I was acquiring PR and, no, I have not requested a 'confirmation of PR' card.

In terms of proof of that I was seeking for a job - I already had my new job in place (which was the reason why I decided to go travelling), so don't have any proof that I was looking for a job during that time. Obviously, I can show that I was resident in the UK throughout this time. Though, I never claimed unemployment benefits or registered with the job centre as I was living off my savings during this time.

Glad to hear that both of you don't think I should be concerned. Thanks a lot for your help!!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Queen-Rudi wrote:Thanks a lot for your answers.

The two months travelling were indeed during the period I was acquiring PR and, no, I have not requested a 'confirmation of PR' card.

In terms of proof of that I was seeking for a job - I already had my new job in place (which was the reason why I decided to go travelling), so don't have any proof that I was looking for a job during that time. Obviously, I can show that I was resident in the UK throughout this time. Though, I never claimed unemployment benefits or registered with the job centre as I was living off my savings during this time.

Glad to hear that both of you don't think I should be concerned. Thanks a lot for your help!!
Certainly in the clear in terms of economic activity for naturalisation (as employment or unemployment doesn't matter).

The NCS lady was exercising due care & diligence as you are also establishing your PR status as part of this application to naturalise;
(another way would have been to apply for & obtain a PR card beforehand, then submit it with naturalisation application - in some cases it helps but it's not mandatory).

For the 2 months vacation you are probably covered; as mentioned, you can leave the country for a limited period without interrupting treaty rights.

The question is how you presented the remaining 2 months of the 4 month period and how it is viewed by the caseworker.

Aha! if living off savings you could also present yourself as self-sufficient for this short interlude.
That is another type of qualified person in terms of treaty rights.

Do you have an EHIC card from original country? or do you happen to have CSI?
(Reason: self-sufficient persons need to show a form of CSI).

Queen-Rudi
Newly Registered

Post by Queen-Rudi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Unfortunately, I don't/ didn't have either of the two, CSI or EHIC from a previous country. To be honest, it didn't even occur to me during the 4 months that I should look into these options as my new job was lined up already.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Queen-Rudi wrote:Unfortunately, I don't/ didn't have either of the two, CSI or EHIC from a previous country. To be honest, it didn't even occur to me during the 4 months that I should look into these options as my new job was lined up already.
Understood.
Hopefully if HO has any query on that period they will write to discuss.
Don't want to worry you unduly (& the 2 months travel part of it should be ok) but best you are aware.