ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer , how to return to U.K ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

steajames
Newly Registered

Overstayer , how to return to U.K ?

Post by steajames » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:13 am

My girlfriend, Ugandan, myself British, she had visa for holiday, overstay some 5 years, we lived together during that time, she recently went back to Uganda, where do we stand regarding her coming back to settle/marry ,options, course of action please ? help ! THANKS.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 am

Oli Otya Steajames?

If your girlfriend is returning to the UK in a category leading to settlement such as work permit, marriage etc then previous overstaying should not prejudice her return to the UK.

However, if she was to apply for any short term stay Visa such as Visitors or Student; this would lilely not be granted as she did not abide with her previous visa conditions.

If you are going for the marriage route make sure the paper work is thorough as Kampala BHC is extremely stringent!.

Also if going the marriage route - dont be afraid of disclosing previous overstaying

Good Luck
Where there is a will there is a way.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:38 pm

Chess wrote:Oli Otya Steajames?

If your girlfriend is returning to the UK in a category leading to settlement such as work permit, marriage etc then previous overstaying should not prejudice her return to the UK.
Not necessarily now the case, I'm afraid - ECOs have started refusing under para 320 for previous overstaying.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

steajames
Newly Registered

Post by steajames » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks all, would it be worthwhile for the application if i were to visit and marry in uganda or wouldn't it have any bearing on the matter ?

steajames
Newly Registered

Post by steajames » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:19 pm

Please, what would our best options be regarding returning to u.k to settle, i understand she applies in Uganda, is it worthwhile me being present? thank you.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:05 am

I'm not an expert in this area.

Based upon my readings in this forum and in other places, if you marry her in Uganda (or some other country), you should have little trouble applying for a spouse visa to bring her to the UK. Most religions/churches are recognized, unless it is something pretty 'offbeat.'

Documentation with the civil government is critical.

When she left after such an overstay, what sort of documents did she receive from immigration? What marks in her passport? Was she deported?

You've given us very few details to work with, here. When did she leave the UK?

the Admin

steajames
Newly Registered

Post by steajames » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:17 pm

went back on own accord with new passport, no problems upon departure.

MikeKorea
Newly Registered

Post by MikeKorea » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:44 pm

steajames wrote:Thanks all, would it be worthwhile for the application if i were to visit and marry in uganda or wouldn't it have any bearing on the matter ?
Steajames,

With respect to Chess and Administrator their replies are consistent with way the rules were applied in the past, but I think it's fair to say there is a belief that the application of these rules has changed in the last few months. In other words, there has been a conscious policy shift and ECOs have been instructed to refuse on the basis of 320(11) - overstaying. My case is similar to yours and I posted my experience here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=20604

You may also wish to read the following threads about overstaying if you haven't already here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=20370
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=20713

I really want to wish you luck but just be aware that the odds may be really stacked against you at this point as things currently appear to stand.

Mike