ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acceptance of ESOL qualifications for Spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ramana66

Acceptance of ESOL qualifications for Spouse

Post by Ramana66 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi forum members,

I am looking for some help to get clarity on Naturalisation application for my wife. (Apologies for length of my query, but thought I will give some background)

1. I was on PBS Tier 1, got ILR (July 2013) and Naturalisation (Nov 2014), UK Passport (Dec 2014) together with my kids.
2. My wife also got ILR along with us (July 2013), however we did not applied for her Naturalisation with us as she studied her graduation in regional language and does not have required English language. She did passed the LIUK prior to ILR.
3. To improve the English skills she attended ESOL Entry 3 course at York council from Sept 15 till June 15.
4. As a part of course, she appeared three separate ESOL tests conducted by Trinity College London and passed all of three of them as below. Council said these would be adequate for Naturalisation application.

- ESOL Skills for life Reading - Entry 3 (test in March 2015 certificate issued in May 2015),
- ESOL Skills for life Writing Entry 3 (test June 2015, certificate issued in July 2015),
- ESOL Skills for life Speaking and Listening Entry 3 (test June 2015, certificate issued in July 2015)

As per the information on gov.uk ESOL qualifications obtained after 6 Apr 2015 are not acceptable to prove English Skills. After 6th April 2015, required qualification is GESE Grade 5 (SELT) comprises only speaking and listening for Settlement and Natrualisation applications.

When I raised this the council and why they made to appear an exam which is not recognised for Naturalisation application, they called Trinity College and informed to me that Trinity has confirmed that the ESOL qualifications of wife will be valid for Naturalisation application.

Based on this, I have applied for her Naturalisation this morning through NCS from York council. I gave my credit card details for processing the payment. I did not get much clarity from the NCS lady whether my wife's English qualifications are acceptable or not as she was also bit cynical about frequent changes to the forms, fees and rules.

Now my big worry is whether her application would be rejected based on above (potential loss of over £1000 + agony). Looking at above I see below two options for me.

A. Do nothing and hope for approval

B. Quickly book new approved test - GESE Grade 5 for my wife. This test will give results instantly and certificate will be available within 7 days (however, I can provide electronic reference number for the application). If I chose this option, can I communicate this with Home office (UK Visas & Immigration as they called now) and request to consider this information while assessing her applications.

C. Could I retract my application and apply with the new required English qualifications once she gets them. If so, would I lose my fee (which I am not paid as the application may be just left York). This could save me £1k (if there is a risk of rejection)

I would be grateful for any thoughts and comments (especially from senior members and moderators).

Once again apologies for long post and thanks in advance for any guidance.

Regards,

noajthan

Re: Acceptance of ESOL qualifications for Spouse

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Ramana66 wrote:Hi forum members,

I am looking for some help to get clarity on Naturalisation application for my wife. (Apologies for length of my query, but thought I will give some background)

3. To improve the English skills she attended ESOL Entry 3 course at York council from Sept 15 till June 15.
4. As a part of course, she appeared three separate ESOL tests conducted by Trinity College London and passed all of three of them as below. Council said these would be adequate for Naturalisation application.

- ESOL Skills for life Speaking and Listening Entry 3 (test June 2015, certificate issued in July 2015)

A. Do nothing and hope for approval

B. Quickly book new approved test - GESE Grade 5 for my wife. This test will give results instantly and certificate will be available within 7 days (however, I can provide electronic reference number for the application). If I chose this option, can I communicate this with Home office (UK Visas & Immigration as they called now) and request to consider this information while assessing her applications.

C. Could I retract my application and apply with the new required English qualifications once she gets them. If so, would I lose my fee (which I am not paid as the application may be just left York). This could save me £1k (if there is a risk of rejection)

I would be grateful for any thoughts and comments (especially from senior members and moderators).

Once again apologies for long post and thanks in advance for any guidance.

Regards,
The Gov UK webpage on proof of English appears somewhat misleading or confusing.

ESOL speaking/listening is the relevant certificate for proof of English for naturalisation.

Entry 3 is at the requisite B1 level of CEFR so if the qualification is listed on Ofqual website it should be accepted, this side of November.

Suggest you check using precise details from the certificate.

Out of interest, which option did you tick in the form for proof of English?

The NCS should really have cleared any confusion you or she may have had before accepting your qualification.

Anyway if cert is listed by Ofqual you should be in the clear.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi Noajthan,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I checked using the precise details from the certificate (as below) on Ofqual

Qualification Number: 601/5209/6 (for Speaking and Listening) - I think this is the most important one.
Qualification Number: 601/5216/3 (for Writing)

Both the above qualifications show on the ofqual register and also say that "ESOL qualifications that are required for citizenship - YES". However, the gov.uk site still says that ESOL qualifications after 6th April 2015 are not acceptable.

I ticked the option for ESOL for life after 6th April 2015, but wrote a comment in the space provided that the exams are taken between March and June. Not sure whether I should panic or it should be fine.

Thanks,

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Ramana66 wrote:Hi Noajthan,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I checked using the precise details from the certificate (as below) on Ofqual

Qualification Number: 601/5209/6 (for Speaking and Listening) - I think this is the most important one.
Qualification Number: 601/5216/3 (for Writing)

Both the above qualifications show on the ofqual register and also say that "ESOL qualifications that are required for citizenship - YES". However, the gov.uk site still says that ESOL qualifications after 6th April 2015 are not acceptable.

I ticked the option for ESOL for life after 6th April 2015, but wrote a comment in the space provided that the exams are taken between March and June. Not sure whether I should panic or it should be fine.

Thanks,
It's ironic how difficult & unclear the website is:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

However note the 'you can also prove ... ' clause & the warning about no more ESOL after November.
(I'm on my cellphone so its too tricky to paste in the exact text).

It's only S&L that matters, writing is not required.

My understanding is that SELTs are restricted after April;
But not the generic ESOL certs until the drop dead date in November when HO realises its ambition of rationalising & accepting only SELTs.

On the AN form you should have ticked Q1.23 Ofqual option & jumped directly to Q1.27.

NCS should have picked that up if you missed it.
Can you call NCS & catch form/bundle before its forwarded to HO?

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:57 pm

Exactly my thoughts after going thru your previous mail (should have realised earlier). But with the weekend, I will be going to NCS office first thing in the morning and will see if they can replace the paper (I have already printed a new page and filled it exactly as you have suggested.

Ticked Q1.13 Ofqual option & jumped directly to Q1.27.

Kept the fingers crossed. However, if the NCS become ultra efficient and sent my application to HO, then I am planning to send send a separate mail giving all my details and request them to replace the page 7/8 with the new one.

Hopefull, this may work out.

Thank you once again for your prompt help. Now I am clear on the qualification (that they meet the requirements), but need to correct the page.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:05 am

Ramana66 wrote:Exactly my thoughts after going thru your previous mail (should have realised earlier). But with the weekend, I will be going to NCS office first thing in the morning and will see if they can replace the paper (I have already printed a new page and filled it exactly as you have suggested.

Ticked Q1.13 Ofqual option & jumped directly to Q1.27.

Kept the fingers crossed. However, if the NCS become ultra efficient and sent my application to HO, then I am planning to send send a separate mail giving all my details and request them to replace the page 7/8 with the new one.

Hopefull, this may work out.

Thank you once again for your prompt help. Now I am clear on the qualification (that they meet the requirements), but need to correct the page.
My typo, now corrected - I mean Q1.23 (not 1.13).
Hopefully you can catch it otherwise you will have to keep faith in a caseworker with common sense.

But you can see the current form supports ESOL which reinforces the view its still a viable proof.

If risk averse you could still invest ~ £100 in a SELT as insurance;
OR wait but fallback on that if a HO jobsworth raises objections & gives 'x' days to supply proof for the option currently ticked on the form (ie as submitted).

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I don't mind spending another £150 for the SELT certificate and will book a test on Monday based on what happens on my visit to NCS on Monday. I will still try to request them to send the corrected page and if they don't want to do that I will send it to the mailing address given by them on NCS receipt for contacting HO for any change of address of circumstances.

(just cursing myself for the error I made in filling the form - the 6th April thing really overwhelmed me while filling the form and NCS team found to be absolutely useless).

Thank you once again (for the peace of mind I got now).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:20 am

Ramana66 wrote:Thanks a lot.

Yes, I don't mind spending another £150 for the SELT certificate and will book a test on Monday based on what happens on my visit to NCS on Monday. I will still try to request them to send the corrected page and if they don't want to do that I will send it to the mailing address given by them on NCS receipt for contacting HO for any change of address of circumstances.

(just cursing myself for the error I made in filling the form - the 6th April thing really overwhelmed me while filling the form and NCS team found to be absolutely useless).

Thank you once again (for the peace of mind I got now).
Hope it helps, I've been through it - agonising over every detail.

Suggest send in Ofqual printout too, as positive reinforcement for caseworker to do the right thing.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:33 am

Yes, (looks like you are reading my mind - happened twice now :D ). I took the printout of the ofqual register which says that this qualification meets the requirements.

If you decide to work at NCS, there will be loads of happy and smiling faces
:D :D

palaremzi

Post by palaremzi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:39 am

It's been already answered but just wanted to contribute as my wife has the same exact qualifications. The relevant box in the application form is the one that says the test is recognized by Ofqual, which is indeed the case. Please note that these certificates are different than the SELT exams offered by Trinity College. This is where things get confusing and it took a while to realize the difference. Finally note that ESOL certificates are valid for naturalisation purposes until Nov 2015.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:32 am

Thanks a lot. When did you applied for.Did you got approval.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi Forum,

Just an update on my situation.

I had spoken to the council and they have informed that the application has sent already, hence they can do very little about it.

I spoke to UKVI and explained the situation. They have advised me to write a letter explaining the situation and send the corrected pages (which I am doing right now) for their consideration.

Will update the forum once I hear from them.

Thanks

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:11 pm

noajthan wrote:
The Gov UK webpage on proof of English appears somewhat misleading or confusing.

ESOL speaking/listening is the relevant certificate for proof of English for naturalisation.

Entry 3 is at the requisite B1 level of CEFR so if the qualification is listed on Ofqual website it should be accepted, this side of November.

Suggest you check using precise details from the certificate.

Out of interest, which option did you tick in the form for proof of English?

The NCS should really have cleared any confusion you or she may have had before accepting your qualification.

Anyway if cert is listed by Ofqual you should be in the clear.
I agree with you. The confusion is in the HO website as neither AN guidance nor AN form nor booklet mentioned anything about specific test like ESOL. All three sources ask about an an English qualification speaking and listening at B1, B2, C1 or C2 level registered on Ofqual beside LIUK. In the AN form is mention or equivalent as well. So it means other tests than ESOL should be accepted if registered on Ofqual.

AN Form
And either
I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification (Go to question 1.23)

1.23 If you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification, is it:

A test that is on the Home Office list of approved tests
go to question 1.24

A test that is on the Ofqual register or awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority go to question 1.27

As you see no mention to ESOL at all. Now if you will tick first option then you must choose the right test from the Home Office list which include ESOL but if you ticked second option, so you need your test to be registered on Ofqual thats it.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi Forum,

Apologies for delay in updating the status.I have sent a covering letter along with corrected pages to home office.

Recieved Naturalisation letter and completed ceremony last month. Just got the British passport for my wife.

Finally the journey started in 2008 is reached destination. :)

Thanks

Ramana

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 pm

Ramana66 wrote:Hi Forum,

Apologies for delay in updating the status.I have sent a covering letter along with corrected pages to home office.

Recieved Naturalisation letter and completed ceremony last month. Just got the British passport for my wife.

Finally the journey started in 2008 is reached destination. :)

Thanks

Ramana
Glad to hear it worked out in the end. You will be able to laugh about this one day.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Thanks a lot @noajthan.

I like your signature quote. Very opt indeed :)