ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents required for FLR(M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

katwmn6

Documents required for FLR(M)

Post by katwmn6 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Sorry to ask this question, as the process appears to be straightforward, but I have been unable to find this topic covered in a thread.

I am applying for FLR(M) (in person) and do not have proof of adequate accommodation. I have been living in a rented flat with my fiancé for the past 4 months, and while I have proof of address (from bank statements), neither of us has the lease (or any utilities) in our name. We have been trying to take over the lease (which was in a former flatmate's name), but the landlord is taking too long and my fiancé visa expires in 3 weeks. Unfortunately we do not have enough money to rent out another flat.

How big of a problem will this be at the time of application? The only necessary documents, according to the application, are as follows:

1. Photos of spouse & applicant
2. Passport of applicant
3. Documents showing that spouse is present & settled in the UK (passport, bank statements, etc)
4. Documents showing evidence of finances (bank statements, pay slips, etc)

It does not specify proof of accommodation, but is it implied in "documents showing that spouse is present & settled in the UK"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Get a copy of the current lease and a letter from the Landlord explaining things and that he is happy that you are both living there. I presume your bank statements show the rent going to him?
--
Mark Y-M
London

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:52 pm

mym, thanks for the advice. sadly our bank statements do not reflect direct deposits, although they do show the monthly rent withdrawn in cash.

perhaps if i get the leaseholder and the landlord to write that we are living there, it would be okay?

do you know if they ask for evidence of living accommodations when submitting the application?

thank you again for any help.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:05 pm

katwmn6 wrote:do you know if they ask for evidence of living accommodations when submitting the application?
Yes. If you cannot supply evidence for it you will be refused.

It's required by the Immigration Rules, Para 284 section vii :

Requirements for an extension of stay as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom

284. The requirements for an extension of stay as the spouse of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom are that:

(i) the applicant has limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom which was given in accordance with any of the provisions of these Rules, other than where as a result of that leave he would not have been in the United Kingdom beyond 6 months from the date on which he was admitted to the United Kingdom on this occasion in accordance with these Rules, unless the leave in question is limited leave to enter as a fiancé or proposed civil partner; and

(ii) is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom; and

(iii) the parties to the marriage have met; and

(iv) the applicant has not remained in breach of the immigration laws; and

(v) the marriage has not taken place after a decision has been made to deport the applicant or he has been recommended for deportation or been given notice under Section 6(2) of the Immigration Act 1971; and

(vi) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse and the marriage is subsisting; and

(vii) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and

(viii) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.

Also read sections 3 and 6 of http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary
--
Mark Y-M
London

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:21 pm

thank you for the info and the PDF; both are very helpful. i finally got a hold of someone at the Home Office and you are correct; a letter from the landlord should be sufficient, so long as it states the duration for which we can live there.

am i missing any other documents? this is all we have, unfortunately -

-passports (& photos)
-marriage license
-bank statements
-letter from sponsor's employer
-sponsor's pay slips
-housing letter

and the application, obviously.

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 am

hi, sorry to bump this again - another situation has arose.

My husband (sponsor) was made redundant this month. I am nervous as to how this will affect my FLR(M) application, which we will make at the PEO in Croydon this Tuesday (13 Nov). We are both university graduates with strong employment prospects, but we have little savings (2,000 GBP combined) and I now fear they will refuse my application on the grounds that he will not be able to support us.

Aside from providing our diplomas and letters of invitation to interviews, what else can be do? Are we doomed? I can't push back the appointment b/c my fiance visa is set to expire this week.

Ack any help would be much appreciated.

thank you...
k

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:33 pm

How will the Home Office know he is redundant unless you tell them?

I presume you already have the letter from the employers and pay slips prepared anyway - so I, personally, would see this as a case where I would apply as planned. After all, if he was made redundant a week after the FLR what would be different?
--
Mark Y-M
London

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:27 pm

mym wrote:How will the Home Office know he is redundant unless you tell them?

I presume you already have the letter from the employers and pay slips prepared anyway - so I, personally, would see this as a case where I would apply as planned. After all, if he was made redundant a week after the FLR what would be different?
thank you for responding.

We have a letter from his employer that is 1-2 months old, stating that he is permanently employed. He has already stopped working for them, however, and our fear is that they will call his company to verify his employment.

We are also uncomfortable submitting any false/misleading documents, esp. since my husband has an unspent conviction (a long story, but he had a small blade on him and had to go to court and he has 1 year left on his conviction). He cannot afford to get into any legal trouble.

Any thoughts on all this?

Again, we would very very much appreciate the advice; I am having nightmares about all this..

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:26 pm

ah. Well, be honest then. Good luck.
--
Mark Y-M
London

Aaliyah110

Post by Aaliyah110 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi I am so so so sorry I did not get back to you my internet had been down all week and have just got it fixed and I had a feeling I needed to go on here I am so sorry i ahve not replied in time for you appointment please accept my appologies..

Did you get the FLR and i hope you did not say he had left his job

do let me know your outocme appoligies again for late reply