ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bsudhir

Applying for British citizenship

Post by bsudhir » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi

I have read the FAQS but have a few questions:

My situation:

Me - June 2008 1 yr WP + 4 years on Tier 1. Got ILR June 2013. I am eligible to apply for citizenship in July 2014 ?

My wife and son joined me in UK in October 20th 2009 and the also got ILR in June 2013 along with me.

I am planning to apply for citizenship at the end of the month -October. Can we all apply before 20th october or do we need to wait and apply after 20th october ?

noajthan

Re: Applying for British citizenship

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:16 pm

bsudhir wrote:Hi

I have read the FAQS but have a few questions:

My situation:

Me - June 2008 1 yr WP + 4 years on Tier 1. Got ILR June 2013. I am eligible to apply for citizenship in July 2014 ?

My wife and son joined me in UK in October 20th 2009 and the also got ILR in June 2013 along with me.

I am planning to apply for citizenship at the end of the month -October. Can we all apply before 20th october or do we need to wait and apply after 20th october ?
You can all apply after being free from immigration time restrictions for 12 months; that means after holding ILR for 12 months.

So from your stated dates/timeline you could apply for the privilege of citizenship any time after October 2014;
(assuming all other requirements are met).

Note adults apply to naturalise, use form AN;
a minor (under 18) applies to register at Home Secretary's discretion (if born abroad), form MN1
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

bsudhir

Post by bsudhir » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm

My wife and son will complete 6 years only in 2015 October. Can they also apply after 1 year of ILR without completing 6 years in UK?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:39 pm

bsudhir wrote:My wife and son will complete 6 years only in 2015 October. Can they also apply after 1 year of ILR without completing 6 years in UK?
An adult applying in own right (after 12 months of ILR) has to have 5 years residency in UK under their belt (not 6).
And be able to prove physical presence in UK 5 years from date of application.

If married to a BC they don't need to wait the 12 months & can apply with 3 years residency in UK.

See adult guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_2015.pdf

No hard & fast requirements on minors either for time to hold ILR nor specific requirements on residency in UK (unless they are an older teenager).

See minor's guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ations.pdf

bsudhir

Post by bsudhir » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Thank you.

One more question - I will apply this month along with my wife and kid. We hold indian passports. My sons indian passport will expire in March 2016. Can I still apply for citizenship or first renew my child's passport and then apply ? What happens if the passport expires while the citizenship process is in progress?

bsudhir

Post by bsudhir » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Thank you.

One more question - I will apply this month along with my wife and kid. We hold indian passports. My sons indian passport will expire in March 2016. Can I still apply for citizenship or first renew my child's passport and then apply ? What happens if the passport expires while the citizenship process is in progress?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:48 pm

bsudhir wrote:Thank you.

The guidance doesn't state categorically a passport has to be valid.
In any case it will be at the date of application (if before March).

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ations.pdf