ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life In Britain Test Worry

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

daverave
Newly Registered

Life In Britain Test Worry

Post by daverave » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:40 pm

my wife is from a non european country and has been here in the UK since november 2009 and at that time was granted discretionary leave to remain for 3 years outside of the immigration rules..which she has now completed and now has started another 3 years of discretionary leave to remain which ends in january 2018 and she then has to apply for indefinate leave to remain.....im worried cause i looked at some of the forms for indefinate leave to remain.....and it states about having to have passed some tests called life in britain and speech test...our solicitor told us nothing about this and said at the time the life in britain test was on ly concerning applying for a british passport a year after applying for the indefinate leave to remain.....has the solicitor got this wrong ??? does my wife have to have passed this test ??? and if so my wife cannot pass this test where does this leave us ????? my wifes immigration decision was made under the old rules in 2010 im very worried and could anyone please tell me the true situation as concerning this life in britain test.

Tripletrouble

Re: Life In Britain Test Worry

Post by Tripletrouble » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:52 pm

daverave
Newly Registered

Post by daverave » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:37 am

i really need some straight answers on this please cause im making myself ill as i suffer from depression...we have two young children and im worried sick about this situation :(

SSWSZ
Member of Standing

Post by SSWSZ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:47 am

simple ans is ur wife need to pass two tests one is life in uk and other is to prove english requirement it should be level B1 .this is for ILR and same documents she need for naturalization (british citizenship).
can u explain why she cannot do test?
ss

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:07 am

The simple answer is:
Knowledge of life and language in the UK wrote:Categories not subject to knowledge of language and life: indefinite leave

This page tells you which people are not subject to the knowledge of language and life (KoLL) in the UK requirement when applying for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

People applying in the following categories do not need to meet the KoLL requirement:
 people applying for ILR on the basis of discretionary leave
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

daverave
Newly Registered

Post by daverave » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:59 am

to be honest my wife when she was young didnt hardly attend school in her country cause her dad made her work as family were very poor.....so my wife lacks an education which has made understanding things very hard for her..and her spoken english not that good...gets very confused with simple understanding and she not good in classroom enviroment as she is very shy and nervous......if she cannot gain these exams what would be the outcome....i cannot talk about this much to her as she will be fearful.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:51 am

daverave wrote:if she cannot gain these exams what would be the outcome....
She does not require them for ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

daverave
Newly Registered

Post by daverave » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Vinny

are you saying my wife would not have to take the life in britain and the other test ???? if so for what reason would she be exempt ???

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:01 pm

daverave wrote:my wife is from a non european country and has been here in the UK since november 2009 and at that time was granted discretionary leave to remain for 3 years outside of the immigration rules..which she has now completed and now has started another 3 years of discretionary leave to remain which ends in january 2018 and she then has to apply for indefinate leave to remain.....
Didn't you read my previous post?
Knowledge of life and language in the UK wrote:People applying in the following categories do not need to meet the KoLL requirement:
 people applying for ILR on the basis of discretionary leave

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:04 pm

daverave wrote:Hi Vinny

are you saying my wife would not have to take the life in britain and the other test ???? if so for what reason would she be exempt ???
I don't think you can be clicking on Vinny's links. :? Let me try:
"People applying in the following categories do not need to meet the KoLL requirement:...
people applying for ILR on the basis of discretionary leave
"

You have said that your wife is on discretionary leave...therefore she doesn't need to pass the Life in the UK and the B1 level English test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

daverave
Newly Registered

Post by daverave » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Vinny you have taken a great load of worry from my mind and im so grateful to you for your help.