ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with spouse naturalisation application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ddontamsetti
Newly Registered

Help with spouse naturalisation application

Post by ddontamsetti » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Dear All,

I am hoping you could clarify two point with my spouse application.

My wife came to UK in June 2012 and got ILR in June 2014 and we are planning to apply for her Naturalisation this November. As I am british citizer now (naturalized in Jan 2014), my wife is eligible for Naturalisation under the 3 year route correct.

Also, my wife took IELTS (academic) in Sept 2012(overall score is 6.0) which we used as part of the IRL application in June 2014 but unfortunately the certificate has a validity of 2 years which expired in Sept 2014. I wanted to check to see if IELTS is an ESOL qualification or not and if not can we still use the certificate which has expired now.

I appreciate if you can clarify these points

Many thanks,

Prasad

noajthan

Re: Help with spouse naturalisation application

Post by noajthan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:27 pm

ddontamsetti wrote:Dear All,

I am hoping you could clarify two point with my spouse application.

My wife came to UK in June 2012 and got ILR in June 2014 and we are planning to apply for her Naturalisation this November. As I am british citizer now (naturalized in Jan 2014), my wife is eligible for Naturalisation under the 3 year route correct.

Also, my wife took IELTS (academic) in Sept 2012(overall score is 6.0) which we used as part of the IRL application in June 2014 but unfortunately the certificate has a validity of 2 years which expired in Sept 2014. I wanted to check to see if IELTS is an ESOL qualification or not and if not can we still use the certificate which has expired now.

I appreciate if you can clarify these points

Many thanks,

Prasad
If this is your question (& not a statement):
As I am british citizer now (naturalized in Jan 2014), my wife is eligible for Naturalisation under the 3 year route correct.
then: Yes.

And, as spouse of BC, no need for applicant to wait to be from immigration time restrictions for 12 months either.
(As she is settled, your wife could have applied at any time after you naturalised, assuming all other requirements for citizenship have been/can be met).

It's all change for proof of English from November, 2015.

See Q1.23 of form AN.
If certificate is on SELT list you can use that path.
Otherwise if it is on Ofqual register & you apply before 5 November, you can use Ofqual path.
If you’re applying for citizenship and took the test before 6 April 2015, your qualification will still be accepted even after it’s expired
See https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ddontamsetti
Newly Registered

Post by ddontamsetti » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Dear Noajthan,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked with the UKBA to confirm that the IELTS qualification will be accepted even though the certificate has expired but they have advised me that the certificate will not be accepted and to take a new test. I have mentioned that it is clearly highlighted on UKBA website that the certificate will be accepted as per the below but the guy said only if the certificate has been used as part of the entry clearance. Is this correct?

Is there any other way that I could get this confirmed or do you think it is best to take another test just to avoid and issues.

Thanks,

extract from UKBA webstive.

If your qualification expires
Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years.

If you’re applying for citizenship and took the test before 6 April 2015, your qualification will still be accepted even after it’s expired.

ddontamsetti
Newly Registered

Post by ddontamsetti » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:51 pm

I have spoke to them again just now and the advisor seems to be bit confused as well and did mentioned the case workers have informed them to advise everyone to take a new test if the certificate is expired. He goes on to say that it depends on the case worked and the application may be rejected as he is quoting the requirement for settlement instead of citizenship application even though I mentioned that there is a difference between the two as per below

Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years.

If you’re applying for citizenship and took the test before 6 April 2015, your qualification will still be accepted even after it’s expired.

If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted as proof if it was one of the following:

previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register

I am hoping someone can clarify if we need to take another test or apply as is

Thanks,