ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residency for EEA citizen, health insurance issue

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Permanent residency for EEA citizen, health insurance issue

Post by pocket_rockets » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:55 am

Hey everyone!

I'm an EU national who moved to UK as a full-time student in 2010. It's been over 5 years now and I want to get the British citizenship.

I've passed the Life in the UK test, filled all the form and booked the checking service. However, they told me that I need permanent residency before applying, which I thought was represented by my registration certificate (also known as blue card). I was obviously wrong but there's one thing that I find strange.

They told me that I need to have exercised treaty rights for the last 6 years, which is what the AN form says. However, if you go to the last 2 pages of the same form where they list all the required documents, it says that you only need to prove it for the past 5 years which confused me. Any ideas why they contradict themselves in the AN form?

Anyway, I'm now planning to get the permanent residency first. The problem lies with the sickness insurance (odd way to describe medical cover). I have a health insurance from my home country but when I moved here I didn't transfer it which means that I can't prove that I exercised treaty rights whilst I was a student from 2010 to 2013.

However, during my uni days I was working part time. To be fair, it was a 0 hour contract and I would get a shift every now and then. Sometimes, there were 4-6 weeks gaps in between shifts. I moved in Sept 2010 and I started working in Feb 2011 as I had to wait for my student work visa (yellow card) to be approved. I didn't pay tax as I was making less than £10k a year but I still paid NI which was my contribution towards certain state benefits, including the NHS. There was also a gap of employment of about 4-5 months in my last year of uni.

I don't have any payslips but I was thinking to call HMRC to get them to send me P60s and what not to prove that I paid NI, hence contributed to the NHS. Not sure if it counts for anything, but I never claimed benefits or any sort of welfare.

Based on your experience and knowledge, do you guys think my application would be successful? I've called HO but they couldn't give me a definite answer, they just said if I worked part time then that means I exercised treaty rights. But as mentioned above, there were quite a few gaps which worries me.

I've done everything else for the citizenship, so I'm willing to risk it and send the permanent residency application anyway rather than wait 2-3 more years. It's not the end of the world if I lose £65.

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

noajthan

Re: Permanent residency for EEA citizen, health insurance is

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:40 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:Hey everyone!

I'm an EU national who moved to UK as a full-time student in 2010. It's been over 5 years now and I want to get the British citizenship.

I've passed the Life in the UK test, filled all the form and booked the checking service. However, they told me that I need permanent residency before applying, which I thought was represented by my registration certificate (also known as blue card). I was obviously wrong but there's one thing that I find strange.

They told me that I need to have exercised treaty rights for the last 6 years, which is what the AN form says. However, if you go to the last 2 pages of the same form where they list all the required documents, it says that you only need to prove it for the past 5 years which confused me. Any ideas why they contradict themselves in the AN form?

Anyway, I'm now planning to get the permanent residency first. The problem lies with the sickness insurance (odd way to describe medical cover). I have a health insurance from my home country but when I moved here I didn't transfer it which means that I can't prove that I exercised treaty rights whilst I was a student from 2010 to 2013.

However, during my uni days I was working part time. To be fair, it was a 0 hour contract and I would get a shift every now and then. Sometimes, there were 4-6 weeks gaps in between shifts. I moved in Sept 2010 and I started working in Feb 2011 as I had to wait for my student work visa (yellow card) to be approved. I didn't pay tax as I was making less than £10k a year but I still paid NI which was my contribution towards certain state benefits, including the NHS. There was also a gap of employment of about 4-5 months in my last year of uni.

I don't have any payslips but I was thinking to call HMRC to get them to send me P60s and what not to prove that I paid NI, hence contributed to the NHS. Not sure if it counts for anything, but I never claimed benefits or any sort of welfare.

Based on your experience and knowledge, do you guys think my application would be successful? I've called HO but they couldn't give me a definite answer, they just said if I worked part time then that means I exercised treaty rights. But as mentioned above, there were quite a few gaps which worries me.

I've done everything else for the citizenship, so I'm willing to risk it and send the permanent residency application anyway rather than wait 2-3 more years. It's not the end of the world if I lose £65.

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!
No, a RC is not a confirmation of PR (nor is it a visa). It's simply a confirmation of the holder's status in UK at the time of issue.

It is 5 years as qualified person exercising treaty rights continuously in UK that is required to acquire PR (automatically).

If not married to a BC you have to be free of immigration time restrictions for 12 months;
as an EEA national that means having PR.

Note Once someone has PR they don't have to exercise treaty rights anymore (they are settled already). So you don't need proof of 6 years of exercising treaty rights, just 5.
Summary: get PR in 5 years, then hold it for 1 year.

You may be able to claim you were a worker for some of the time in UK BUT the gaps are going to be problematic;
especially if you can't show you were then a 'jobseeker' in those gaps, (ie registered & actively looking for work, etc).

Going back to student category; did you have an EHIC from your country for your period of studies :?:
At a pinch that can substitute for a full CSI policy especially if, at the time, you 'intended' to leave UK after completing your studies.

Note for students studying before 2012 (as you were);
although it was a requirement for a student, having CSI was not enforced until 2012.

When the need for CSI started being enforced there was a transitional arrangement put in place, this is contingent on the applicant for PR holding a valid RC at the time.
This may help you.

btw CSI is not about access to NHS it's just a requirement for immigration purposes.
And paying NI or tax doesn't help in the need for CSI in connection with treaty rights.
(Nor does never going to see a doctor!).

As a last resort you could shoot for 'self-sufficient' person but again that category requires evidence of CSI (& no transitional arrangement available there).

So self-sufficiency is a long-shot and the gaps in your employment are problematic (even if HO accept your parttime work counts as exercising treaty rights instead of rejecting it as 'marginal').

Let's see what can be done about your student status :idea:

To summarise...

You may still qualify in the student category of qualified person exercising treaty rights (if you had RC on/before 2012) due to the transitional arrangement.
Something to dig into (as well as seeing if you had EHIC at the time).

When was your RC issued :?:

Your PR clock may then have started in 2010 so PR to be acquired sometime in 2015.

As you rightly say it's worth investing £65 to check out the quality of your application & your supporting evidence.

Hold PR for 12 months & shoot for privilege of citizenship sometime in 2016.
That is the timeline unless you do something drastic & marry a BC ( :!: );
then no need to hold PR for 12 months.

This assumes all other requirements for citizenship can be or have been met by that time too;
ie as well as residency: absences within limits, proof physically present in UK 5 years before date of application, sound mind, good character, referees, KOLL & etc).

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Hey Noajthan,

Thanks for your reply. I got my RC in 2013 and I've been working full time ever since, with no employment gaps. Before the RC I had the yellow student card that allowed me to work up to 20 hours a week.

My question is, if CSI was compulsory after 2012, then why am I being asked to prove it if I moved to the UK in 2010? Doesn't make sense.

Also, I have health insurance but it only covers me in my home country.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:Hey Noajthan,

Thanks for your reply. I got my RC in 2013 and I've been working full time ever since, with no employment gaps. Before the RC I had the yellow student card that allowed me to work up to 20 hours a week.

My question is, if CSI was compulsory after 2012, then why am I being asked to prove it if I moved to the UK in 2010? Doesn't make sense.

Also, I have health insurance but it only covers me in my home country.
Depends who is asking you & whether they are aware of transitional arrangements.

Anyway a RC issued in 2013 does not help with missing CSI, that's too late.

You will need to explore if that yellow card is adequate to give exemption via the transitional arrangements.

The point is, even if working legally, you need CSI to be sure your time as a student counts as exercising treaty rights & so counts towards PR.
Or you need that exemption for 2010 - 2012 because if you had it it carries on for as long as you were a student.

Even if you didn't need CSI in 2010 -2012 you will have broken your continuous exercise of treaty rights by not having it as a student after 2012.

Your patchy employment (& no proof of jobseeker status) are unlikely to tide you over (& if no CSI you won't count as self-sufficient).

I think you need an EHIC or a valid exemption via the transitionals to cover your time as student.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Correction: I got the date for the transitional arrangement for CSI wrong - it dates from 2011 (not 2012)

See https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... issued.pdf

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Ok, so I guess it's unlikely that they'll approve my application then. That means I have to wait almost 3 years now as I've been working full time since Aug 2013.

One more question, my homecountry health insurance, if it doesn't cover me in the UK, I assume it won't work?

Thanks for your help again!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:Ok, so I guess it's unlikely that they'll approve my application then. That means I have to wait almost 3 years now as I've been working full time since Aug 2013.

One more question, my homecountry health insurance, if it doesn't cover me in the UK, I assume it won't work?

Thanks for your help again!
Worth reading the small print or calling the policy provider's call centre to see if it can cover you in UK.

Regarding transitional arrangements, worth checking what that yellow card you mention actually is - is it some sort of RC?
Did you get in during or before 2011?

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:40 pm

I applied for it literally within a week after I moved here in UK. My parents couldn't afford to send me too much money so I had to work to support myself.

The apllication was approved and received it in January or February 2011. When I applied for the RC, I had to enclose it in the application. One it was approved, they kept the yellow card and sent me the blue one (RC).

Btw, I am from Romania. Here's the student work visa that I had: http://www.independent.co.uk/student/wh ... 35644.html

I googled it and this article came up, check the image :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:00 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:I applied for it literally within a week after I moved here in UK. My parents couldn't afford to send me too much money so I had to work to support myself.

The apllication was approved and received it in January or February 2011. When I applied for the RC, I had to enclose it in the application. One it was approved, they kept the yellow card and sent me the blue one (RC).

Btw, I am from Romania. Here's the student work visa that I had: http://www.independent.co.uk/student/wh ... 35644.html

I googled it and this article came up, check the image :)
Congratulations on your foresight - it seems to be a valid RC.

Have you a copy of it?
Or any letter from the HO about it?

As per the transitional arrangement for CSI you got it at the right time too - before the deadline in 2011.
13 Transitional arrangements are being introduced, so that an application for permanent residence as a student will not be refused solely on the grounds that there is no evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance on the date of decision where:
  • UKBA issued a registration certificate to the applicant on the basis of their residence in the UK as a student before 20thJune 2011.
14 When considering a permanent residence application in such a case the caseworker should also assume that time spent in the UK prior to the grant of the registration certificate was time spent in compliance with the comprehensive sickness insurance requirement.
Ref: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... issued.pdf

So you should be able to apply for a PR card & quote this exemption (quote the transitional arrangement) in your application for your confirmation of PR.
That will cover your time as student from 2010.
The rest of the 5 years will be based on your worker status.

If you have adequate documentary evidence to support the application then the chances are you have a fighting chance.

Good luck.

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks once again for your help!

Unfortunately I don't have a copy or any letter but surely they must have it in their archives as they kept it. I'll mention it in my apllcstion and I might have a photo taken with my phone of the document. It was when I was trying to convince an employer that I have the right to work in the UK.

Anyways, thanks and I'll post here again once I get an answer from HO.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:47 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:Thanks once again for your help!

Unfortunately I don't have a copy or any letter but surely they must have it in their archives as they kept it. I'll mention it in my apllcstion and I might have a photo taken with my phone of the document. It was when I was trying to convince an employer that I have the right to work in the UK.

Anyways, thanks and I'll post here again once I get an answer from HO.
Yes, good point - details of that card should be in archives.

A good covering letter to explain all these aspects of your case should help.

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Hey noajthan, one more question. Since I received the first registration certificate in January 2011, do you reckon I should wait until January 2016 as technically I haven't exercised treaty rights for 5 years?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:06 am

pocket_rockets wrote:Hey noajthan, one more question. Since I received the first registration certificate in January 2011, do you reckon I should wait until January 2016 as technically I haven't exercised treaty rights for 5 years?
You were in UK from 2010 & started student life then so it seems appropriate to count from 2010 actually.

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:08 am

Awesome, thanks!

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:45 pm

There's one more thing I was thinking about. What's the point of applying for the PR, get it in a few months, then wait another year to get BR.

Wouldn't it be easier and faster if I apply straight for the BR and prove that I've exercised treaty rights in the past 6 years in Sept 2016?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:35 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:There's one more thing I was thinking about. What's the point of applying for the PR, get it in a few months, then wait another year to get BR.

Wouldn't it be easier and faster if I apply straight for the BR and prove that I've exercised treaty rights in the past 6 years in Sept 2016?

Ofcourse - if sure of your status plus evidence.

If risk averse, confirmation of PR is a relatively low-risk first step.

It's your money & your call.

monab
Newly Registered

Post by monab » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi there,

I am also Romanian national and I got my PR this year. I have been thoroughly investigating the transitional arrangements for students and I can almost assure you that you fall under those.
Yellow card is a form of Registration certificate. You had yours before June 2011, so all your time as a student before you got registration certificate will count towards PR.
Unfortunately I am not sure what happens with your time as a student after June 2011 when you had no insurance. I would suggest to claim you were a worker, despite not having full-time employment. You are a worker even if you are looking for a job (not necessarily registered with authorities as someone suggested).

My reco is to apply for PR - £65 is not a big deal and then you would know for sure your status without gambling £1050 (the BC fee).

monab
Newly Registered

Post by monab » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Thinking about it, it's quite funny how in this post everyone considered the Blue Card Reg Cert the correct one to place you under Student Transitional Arrangements. From what I read, I was sure Yellow card was the one, and I still had my doubts regarding Blue card.

I applied for Blue card as soon as I finished my studies in January 2011, based on my degree here. They clearly require a registration certificate acquired on your status as a student, so I am not sure if a Blue card on the basis of a UK degree falls under this... any ideas?

Thanks!

pocket_rockets
Newly Registered

Post by pocket_rockets » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi again!

After the latest news regarding changes in the naturalisation process in November this year, is there any point in applying for permanent residence? Or can I simply use my registration certificate?

Thanks!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:12 pm

pocket_rockets wrote:Hi again!

After the latest news regarding changes in the naturalisation process in November this year, is there any point in applying for permanent residence? Or can I simply use my registration certificate?

Thanks!
Do you happen to have a reference to any latest news regarding changes in the naturalisation process in November this year :?:

Others have mentioned something of the sort but noone has shared any details.
It may help other members to know about these matters.

Thanks a million.

ally007

Post by ally007 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:34 pm

noajthan wrote:
pocket_rockets wrote:Hi again!

Thanks!
Do you happen to have a reference to any latest news regarding changes in the naturalisation process in November this year :?:

Others have mentioned something of the sort but noone has shared any details.
It may help other members to know about these matters.

Thanks a million.

@Noajthan, I am married to Slovakia national 2010 and we have applied for the PR together on the same forms in October this year and she is the main applicant and added me as a family member, which is now 7 weeks now we applied now. I just came across this csi thing on here and I am a bit confused because my Mrs was working full time from 2009 till date and she started uni in 2010 till 2013 and never stop her full time job while studying as well as a strong and focus lady. No csi while studying bcos we didn't even know something like that is on ground. She got her registration certificate in may 2011(blue card) and I have been working since I got my RC early 2011 as well. Although she quoted it on the application that she was working full time while studied as well and paying the fees without public funds. My questions is:

1- do u tink we need to worry about the csi?
2- how long do you think the processing normally takes? They said upto 6months but some eea nationals received their pr withing 4 weeks. And our own is now 7weeks. Although I got my coa 4 weeks after submitted the application with right to work which is a relief.
Waiting for your advice plsss

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:46 pm

ally007 wrote:@Noajthan, I am married to Slovakia national 2010 and we have applied for the PR together on the same forms in October this year and she is the main applicant and added me as a family member, which is now 7 weeks now we applied now. I just came across this csi thing on here and I am a bit confused because my Mrs was working full time from 2009 till date and she started uni in 2010 till 2013 and never stop her full time job while studying as well as a strong and focus lady. No csi while studying bcos we didn't even know something like that is on ground. She got her registration certificate in may 2011(blue card) and I have been working since I got my RC early 2011 as well. Although she quoted it on the application that she was working full time while studied as well and paying the fees without public funds. My questions is:

2- how long do you think the processing normally takes? They said upto 6months but some eea nationals received their pr withing 4 weeks. And our own is now 7weeks. Although I got my coa 4 weeks after submitted the application with right to work which is a relief.

1) It depends if your wife applied on basis of being a worker or being a student during the relevant period.

If HO consider applicant to be a student they will look for evidence of CSI for the relevant period.
If your wife held a foreign-issued EHIC at the time OR was issued with a RC for a student there may be an exemption (transitional agreement) that gets you off the hook.
So that blue card may prove to be very important.

2) I don't know about timelines.

You can track other members' experiences in the relevant timeline thread; although as you have found, your mileage may vary.

In any dealing with government departments (& HO in particular) patience is a virtue (as hard as that may be).

Good luck.

ally007

Post by ally007 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:57 pm

noajthan wrote:
ally007 wrote:@Noajthan, I am married to Slovakia national 2010 and we have applied for the PR together on the same forms in October this year and she is the main applicant and added me as a family member, which is now 7 weeks now we applied now. I just came across this csi thing on here and I am a bit confused because my Mrs was working full time from 2009 till date and she started uni in 2010 till 2013 and never stop her full time job while studying as well as a strong and focus lady. No csi while studying bcos we didn't even know something like that is on ground. She got her registration certificate in may 2011(blue card) and I have been working since I got my RC early 2011 as well. Although she quoted it on the application that she was working full time while studied as well and paying the fees without public funds. My questions is:

1) It depends if your wife applied on basis of being a worker or being a student during the relevant period.

If HO consider applicant to be a student they will look for evidence of CSI for the relevant period.
If your wife held a foreign-issued EHIC at the time OR was issued with a RC for a student there may be an exemption (transitional agreement) that gets you off the hook.

You can track other members' experiences in the relevant timeline thread; although as you have found, your mileage may vary.

In any dealing with government departments (& HO in particular) patience is a virtue (as hard as that may be).

Good luck.

Thank so much for your reply noajthan. Yes she applied as a worker not student. she's been working full time from day 1 she entered this country and i have been working for the past 5years as well and got a good job and paying loads of money for tax every month which is almost my salary :D :D :D

ally007

Post by ally007 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:50 pm

noajthan wrote:

Good luck.

@Noajthan Thanks for your response to my last questions. I still got a few questions to ask you if you don't mind. You mentioned blue card. My partner have one bluecard which got a sticker on it that look like a visa with issue date BUT with no expiring date. She got it after continuous working for 2years . Is that the card you talking about? As I said earlier, We applied together since October and no new since then. Other EEA received their application withing few weeks.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

ally007 wrote:@Noajthan Thanks for your response to my last questions. I still got a few questions to ask you if you don't mind. You mentioned blue card. My partner have one bluecard which got a sticker on it that look like a visa with issue date BUT with no expiring date. She got it after continuous working for 2years . Is that the card you talking about? As I said earlier, We applied together since October and no new since then. Other EEA received their application withing few weeks.
I think I originally mentioned 'Residence Card (RC) in the first place.
What does it say on the card you have?

(In any case, if applying as a worker there is no need for CSI nor an exemption from CSI based on holding a RC).