ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa Duration and Delayed work start date

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rubycarlo

Visa Duration and Delayed work start date

Post by rubycarlo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:47 am

Hi all,

I have been issued a restricted COS for 3 years duration (01 Oct 2015 - 01 Oct 2018). However, my work date has now been postponed and this has been indicated by a sponsor note on the COS.

My question is - what is the visa duration based on? the 'length' of engagement on my COS = 3 years? or the work end date on my COS? = in which case, I will get only 2 years and 8.5 months?

Senior members, manci, sushdmehta, please advise if I need to change the work end date on my COS to get a full 3 years

rubycarlo

Re: Visa Duration and Delayed work start date

Post by rubycarlo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:24 am

rubycarlo wrote:Hi all,

I have been issued a restricted COS for 3 years duration (01 Oct 2015 - 01 Oct 2018). However, my work date has now been postponed and this has been indicated by a sponsor note on the COS.

My question is - what is the visa duration based on? the 'length' of engagement on my COS = 3 years? or the work end date on my COS? = in which case, I will get only 2 years and 8.5 months?

Senior members, manci, sushdmehta, please advise if I need to change the work end date on my COS to get a full 3 years
To clarify, my work start date has been postponed to 18 Jan 2016 and my intended travel date stated in the application is 04 January 2016.

rubycarlo

Post by rubycarlo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am

rubycarlo wrote:Hi all,

To clarify, my work start date has been postponed to 18 Jan 2016 and my intended travel date stated in the application is 04 January 2016.
Could I get an answer quickly please? I need to apply today and need an answer to the question "how long do you intend to stay in the UK?" I would appreciate prompt replies!

fx125

Post by fx125 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:35 am

I think its better that you research CoS guidance and talk with your HR/ Legal.

In my understanding, once the sponsor note has been added, you new validity is 2yrs 8.5 months like you say. Thus, you should indicate your new intended arrival day. Your visa will start from this day (04.01.2015).

If you are still worried, in the additional info box of your application, briefly explain the situation but I think there should not be a problem.

rubycarlo

Post by rubycarlo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks for confirming reg the visa validity fx125! I've included a note in the additional info section about my travel date and new work start date.

luckysunny

Post by luckysunny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:33 am

Your visa duration will be based on the job start date and end date. So if your start date is the 18 January 2016, and the end date is the 18 January 2019, that is what your leave will be based on, which is 3 years.

If the start date is 18 January 2016, and the end date is 01 Oct 2018, that is what your leave will be based on. If you have a problem with the end date, ask the person responsible for issuing the COS to add a sponsor note, which states clearly the work start date AND end date. If there is a sponsor note there already, it can be EDITED with the new information.

You cannot enter the country more than 14 days before your start date. So if your start date is on the 18 January 2016, you cannot enter the UK before 04 January 2015.

The question: "How long do you intend to stay in the UK?" You need to put in the dates that match your work start date and end date. So you can just put the following: "As per visa validity"

rubycarlo

Post by rubycarlo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:51 am

luckysunny wrote:Your visa duration will be based on the job start date and end date. So if your start date is the 18 January 2016, and the end date is the 18 January 2019, that is what your leave will be based on, which is 3 years.

If the start date is 18 January 2016, and the end date is 01 Oct 2018, that is what your leave will be based on. If you have a problem with the end date, ask the person responsible for issuing the COS to add a sponsor note, which states clearly the work start date AND end date. If there is a sponsor note there already, it can be EDITED with the new information.

You cannot enter the country more than 14 days before your start date. So if your start date is on the 18 January 2016, you cannot enter the UK before 04 January 2015.

The question: "How long do you intend to stay in the UK?" You need to put in the dates that match your work start date and end date. So you can just put the following: "As per visa validity"
Appreciate the detailed explanation luckysunny! Yes, this is exactly what I thought so too.

I did request my sponsor's migration consultant to change the work end date as well to get the full 3-year visa. Unfortunately, he is adamant that they may face issues with the sponsor license if they make too many changes in the COS (apparently the HO may think that my sponsor is 'messing with the system'.) Not sure how far this is true tho. :?

So looks like I will get a visa duration of 2 years and 8.5 months as per my current COS end date, and will have to apply for an extension sooner. Will post an update once my visa gets through!

luckysunny

Post by luckysunny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:55 am

Alright..

All the best. I hope everything goes well!

rubycarlo wrote:
luckysunny wrote:Your visa duration will be based on the job start date and end date. So if your start date is the 18 January 2016, and the end date is the 18 January 2019, that is what your leave will be based on, which is 3 years.

Appreciate the detailed explanation luckysunny! Yes, this is exactly what I thought so too.

I did request my sponsor's migration consultant to change the work end date as well to get the full 3-year visa. Unfortunately, he is adamant that they may face issues with the sponsor license if they make too many changes in the COS (apparently the HO may think that my sponsor is 'messing with the system'.) Not sure how far this is true tho. :?

So looks like I will get a visa duration of 2 years and 8.5 months as per my current COS end date, and will have to apply for an extension sooner. Will post an update once my visa gets through!