ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused on CoS allocation

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Physicist
Newly Registered

Confused on CoS allocation

Post by Physicist » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a time pressing issue so I'm hoping people in the know here would clear it up.

I am Tier 4 Visa which is due to expire on the 19th of October. I have applied for a masters course which is one year long, however I'm unsure yet because my eligibility is in question as I completed my bachelors in 4 years and eight months (including a foundation year which was 8 months long part). I'm going to clear this up today if a new CAS can be issued.

I also have another option. I have a business willing to sponsor me. However, it is a small business which has never used their license before. The issued CoS to one person but that was never used. Ever since then the SMS remains relatively untouched. There is an option to create/assign CoS and where you can enter your details however I found out yesterday that they need unrestricted allocations or restricted CoS allocations or something. I'm not sure what it is but there is a thing about allocations.

So what I'm trying to ask is that, given that you can seem to assign and create CoS, does that mean all you have to do is fill in the form, enter and pay and it will automatically generate a CoS number or will it go into review and then the UKBA will review it for a few days.

I was under the impression that all you had to do was assign and create a CoS and you will have a number but it doesn't seem to be that way. Could anyone assist in checking if I'm ok to go ahead or not given I do not have much time and the business it self would rather be exempt from the resident labour market test? If there is such a thing as CoS allocations and what not, where do I check it and know I'm good to go given the limited time I have?

I have heard that if you have unrestricted or some CoS available or allocated to you, then its alright and it doesn't matter, otherwise it could be a two week wait so how can know if I'm the former and not the latter.

Thank you reading and taking the time to answer. It is much appreciated!

hassanh
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: Confused on CoS allocation

Post by hassanh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:05 pm

It should be company's level 1/2 user or Authorising officer who should be accessing the UKVI sms system. If anyone else is using that system, it means they are breaching the sponsors roles and responsibilities. They will have to request unrestricted COS for you which takes about two week. After that they can assign it to you.

When requesting COS, they will have to provide all the details about the job and job description. You may be exempt from Resident Labour Marketing Test as you will be switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2.

I would advise you to go through the Tier 2 policy guidance first before attempting any thing. Also, your perspective employer should read the policy guidance for Sponsors. You need to know what whether you are and the job they are offering you is eligible for Tier 2 visa or not.

The policy guidance is straight forward and will help you to understand the process clearly.

Thanks,
Hassan

UKBA-VICTIM
India

Post by UKBA-VICTIM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Hassan,

I am on the similar situation as OP..

My Tier 2 was granted in Dec 2012 then for next years we didn't need the COS allocations so we have not renewed ANNUAL COS allocations..

My tier 2 is due for an extension in a couple of months but Increase COS/CAS allocation page is grayed out as we have not renewed the annual allocations.. so we requested for annual allocation but we had no option to mention Unrestricted or Restricted COS on the page.. So the question is

1. Will they assign Unrestricted COS/ Restricted COS
2. Can we use this allocation for this year or Is it going to be for next year?

thanks,

hassanh
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by hassanh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi,

I think your employer needs to make a request for addition Unrestricted cos through SMS system.

If annual allocation was greyed out then how they can request this? Annual allocation is different from additional Cos request. Annual COS allocation request is usually done during Jan/Feb to get the allocations from April that year.

Double, check with your employer what they have requested and ask them to request for an additional COS as you do not have any allocations for this year.

You still have ample time so do not worry. Things will settle down in time.

Thanks,
Hassan

Physicist
Newly Registered

Post by Physicist » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm

hassanh wrote:It should be company's level 1/2 user or Authorising officer who should be accessing the UKVI sms system. If anyone else is using that system, it means they are breaching the sponsors roles and responsibilities. They will have to request unrestricted COS for you which takes about two week. After that they can assign it to you.

When requesting COS, they will have to provide all the details about the job and job description. You may be exempt from Resident Labour Marketing Test as you will be switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2.

I would advise you to go through the Tier 2 policy guidance first before attempting any thing. Also, your perspective employer should read the policy guidance for Sponsors. You need to know what whether you are and the job they are offering you is eligible for Tier 2 visa or not.

The policy guidance is straight forward and will help you to understand the process clearly.

Thanks,
Hassan
Hi Hassan,

Thank you for your response. No rules were breach as the system is only accessed by the authorising officer.

If I may ask, the policy guidance I looked at says the following:

you must have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor’s or
master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate
Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK
towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave or a period of continuous leave
which includes your last grant of leave:

A period of continuous leave includes grants of entry clearance where you applied no more than 28 days after your previous leave lapsed and/or any periods of overstaying in the UK of no more than 28 days.

Does that mean I can still apply after my current leave expires so basically meaning I have 28 days after my visa expires on the 28th to apply?

UKBA-ViCTIM -- Hey mate, better you start a new thread, you'll get a better response

Physicist
Newly Registered

Post by Physicist » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Sorry to bump this again but anyone?

I'm reading conflicting things, I didn't know an unrestricted CoS get time to be approved and as Hassan mentioned "as long as you enter your details correctly" you should get it.

However others say if you have a CoS available, all you have to do is enter your details correctly and you will instantly get a number after you pay for you to enter in the application you make.

Physicist
Newly Registered

Post by Physicist » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:30 pm

anyone?