ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gusza
Newly Registered

Can I apply for citizenship

Post by gusza » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered 100 times before but my searches are coming up blank and the UK law is really confusing in this regard. If it has been then please just send me in the right direction.
So I am interested in applying for UK citizenship and just need some guidance for the correct ways to go about it. Here are my direct circumstances.

I was born in South Africa in May 1984 (currently 31 years old), I am a South African citizen.
My mother is a British Citizen born in Scotland in 1950, she moved to South Africa in 1958 and is only a permanent resident of South Africa. (No dual citizenship)
My Father is a South African citizen born in South Africa in 1948.
My parents were married in 1975 in South Africa.
From a Grandparents perspective both my Mother and Fathers parents were all born in the UK during the period 1900 - 1915(I have all the original birth certificates for them). All four of them remained British citizens during the coarse of their lives and lived in South Africa as permanent residents.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and overlap with my scenario.
So the question is which way do I go about applying for citizenship if it is at all possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Regards,
Gus

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Re: Can I apply for citizenship

Post by chocolateorange88 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:20 pm

My mother is a British Citizen born in Scotland in 1950, she moved to South Africa in 1958 and is only a permanent resident

Is your mother a british passport holder?

gusza
Newly Registered

Post by gusza » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi,

Yes she is a British passport holder.

edit. She remained a British citizen throughout her time here and has had a British passport throughout.

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:55 pm

So youre britsh by birth. You should be able to apply directly but im not sure what documentation if any you need to prove this!
Wait for someone with more knowledge to reply

gusza
Newly Registered

Post by gusza » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:58 pm

chocolateorange88 wrote:So youre britsh by birth. You should be able to apply directly but im not sure what documentation if any you need to prove this!
That is kinda what I thought but was not sure if this required me to be registered for it or anything when I was born. Age seems to be a factor on some of these things. Like I mentioned the UK law seems quite confusing, or maybe it is just me. :) Will wait for more info. Thanks so far though.

gusza
Newly Registered

Post by gusza » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 am

bump.

Anyone else who can comment here would be appreciated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 am

gusza wrote:
chocolateorange88 wrote:So youre britsh by birth. You should be able to apply directly but im not sure what documentation if any you need to prove this!
That is kinda what I thought but was not sure if this required me to be registered for it or anything when I was born. Age seems to be a factor on some of these things. Like I mentioned the UK law seems quite confusing, or maybe it is just me. :) Will wait for more info. Thanks so far though.
Confirmation of status is one option & may help, see:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... us-form-ns
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

gusza
Newly Registered

Post by gusza » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:36 am

noajthan wrote:
gusza wrote:
Confirmation of status is one option & may help, see:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... us-form-ns
Thanks noajthan, I will start here.