ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 refused..Article 7(3)?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

baream2009
Newly Registered

EEA4 refused..Article 7(3)?

Post by baream2009 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I am a German citizen who moved to the Uk in 2008. I have worked from 2008-2009 with small gaps in between and for one year from Jan 2010 to Jan 2011. After this I have studied and only started working again from March 2015. I had no CSI during my studies and no EHIC that would cover the period. In 2009 I worked as a para-legal and have since then completed an LLB degree and the LPC. My question is whether I could argue that I retained worker status during my studies because my previous work was connected to my studies (Art 7(3)) or is this too far fetched because the period of unemployment is too long? The EEA4 application was for my husband who is a non eu national.

Many Thanks

noajthan

Re: EEA4 refused..Article 7(3)?

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:59 pm

baream2009 wrote:Hi everyone,
I am a German citizen who moved to the Uk in 2008. I have worked from 2008-2009 with small gaps in between and for one year from Jan 2010 to Jan 2011. After this I have studied and only started working again from March 2015. I had no CSI during my studies and no EHIC that would cover the period. In 2009 I worked as a para-legal and have since then completed an LLB degree and the LPC. My question is whether I could argue that I retained worker status during my studies because my previous work was connected to my studies (Art 7(3)) or is this too far fetched because the period of unemployment is too long? The EEA4 application was for my husband who is a non eu national.

Many Thanks
Here is guidance HO will use to evaluate if an applicant is a qualified person:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

baream2009
Newly Registered

Post by baream2009 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank you! However, this does not clarify whether I could rely on it in my case.

Additionally, would my course qualify as vocational training?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:45 pm

baream2009 wrote:Hi everyone,

Many Thanks
With an LLB, I am sure you will be able to find answers to your question.

You may be able to rely on that. Depending on the nature of the course. Also you applied on EEA 4. But you are a German national.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:48 pm

baream2009 wrote:Thank you! However, this does not clarify whether I could rely on it in my case.

Additionally, would my course qualify as vocational training?
Rely on what? retained worker status? I don't know about that matter.

HO caseworker will use their guidance (most likely applying it to the letter) to see which category of qualified person you slot in.
If a student they will be looking for CSI (etc).
If a worker they will want employer & tax details (simple as that)
- over the appropriate period

baream2009
Newly Registered

Post by baream2009 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:06 pm

We used the EEA4 for my husband who is a non eu national. I did send details about my course and previous work experience along with a cover letter explaining that I am seeking to rely on retained worker status according Art 7(3) and the Sylvie Lair judgement. The HO reason for refusal was that I had no CSI during my studies.

Does that mean that they I have not retained worker status during the period of my studies in their opnion because this is not what the letter says? My question is whether it is worth appealing this refusal or whether we should just apply for a 5 year visa using the EEA2?

I have tried to look for answers but I am still unsure about what action would be appropriate now.

Many Thanks

baream2009
Newly Registered

Post by baream2009 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 pm

I mean a five year permit

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:07 pm

baream2009 wrote:We used the EEA4 for my husband who is a non eu national. I did send details about my course and previous work experience along with a cover letter explaining that I am seeking to rely on retained worker status according Art 7(3) and the Sylvie Lair judgement. The HO reason for refusal was that I had no CSI during my studies.

Does that mean that they I have not retained worker status during the period of my studies in their opnion because this is not what the letter says? My question is whether it is worth appealing this refusal or whether we should just apply for a 5 year visa using the EEA2?

I have tried to look for answers but I am still unsure about what action would be appropriate now.

Many Thanks
Worker or self employed person may retained worker status if he or she unable to work due to illness/accident etc or suffering from any temporary decease or in case of maternity leave etc,or may be some training courses which are the parts of your job(paid one),if this happen after certain years of employment or self employment.
As you left your job and started your studies,so you spend your last four years as a student not as under 7(3).And as a EU student you must have Csi for all the time of studies to qualify PR.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:41 pm

I am not sure Liar helps much.

The ECJ in Blaziot had ruled that University studies may qualify as Vocational training.

There may be a merit in an appeal.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:36 pm

baream2009 wrote:We used the EEA4 for my husband who is a non eu national. I did send details about my course and previous work experience along with a cover letter explaining that I am seeking to rely on retained worker status according Art 7(3) and the Sylvie Lair judgement. The HO reason for refusal was that I had no CSI during my studies.

Many Thanks
The Lair case (sic) seems to be about the right under Article 7(3) to "access to training in vocational training schools and retraining centres" under the same conditions as national workers.
However your case seems to be about 2 categories of qualified person, (as defined by EU regulations), and not a 'EU law versus national law' type of question per se.

You evidently did not persuade HO, (perhaps you failed a "temporarily" test), or they did not understand the case you attempted to make, which was, presumably, under 6(2) of the Immigration Regulations.
Someone who has temporarily stopped working can still be considered a worker under regulation 6(2) of the regulations if they can provide proof that they:
  • voluntarily stopped working to start vocational training related to their previous employment
If the reason given was due to "lack of CSI", the caseworker has evidently considered you in the student category of qualified person (during that period of legal studies).
You may have just received a boilerplate letter with a stock paragraph about CSI.

Concerning CSI, it's a long shot but there was a transitional arrangement (dating from 2011) when the longstanding requirement for students to hold CSI began to be enforced.

This transitional arrangement means if someone was granted a RC in/before 2011 (on the basis of exercising treaty rights as a student) then they are exempted from having to demonstrate holding CSI as a student (from that time onwards).

Did you hold such a RC (on the basis of being a student) at the time?

baream2009
Newly Registered

Post by baream2009 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:39 pm

No I did not hold one on the basis of being a student. Thank you for the replies.

Considering everything a new EEA2 appears to be the best option now?