ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using your other passport after becoming a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yannisb
Newly Registered

Using your other passport after becoming a British Citizen

Post by yannisb » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 am

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been already covered but I got my British Passport in March. It's now at the Saudi Embassy as I need to travel to KSA next week but I have already booked a trip to Dubai and my flight to DXB is on Sunday...

Is it possible to use my "old" Greek passport which expires in 2017? I don't recall having to denounce my Greek citizenship (would the Home Office automatically inform the Greek authorities that I am British Citizen?) and because the Saudi Embassy is taking ages to issue my visa, I am running out of options.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Using your other passport after becoming a British Citiz

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:22 am

HO don't notify your other nationality embassy, it is nothing to do with the UK HO in regards to your foreign passport.

If you have dual citizenship (assuming Greece allows dual nationality) and a valid passport, there should be no issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:22 pm

CR001 wrote:HO don't notify your other nationality embassy, it is nothing to do with the UK HO in regards to your foreign passport.

If you have dual citizenship (assuming Greece allows dual nationality) and a valid passport, there should be no issue.
Indeed some countries, such as America and the UK, require that you enter that country with their passport irrespective of what others you might hold. On that note, I think your bigger concern might be returning to the UK. They can't actually deny a citizen entry. But you would likely have to face some awkward questions and spend some time waiting while the Border Agency does verifications and background checks.

(BTW: Greece does allow dual citizenship)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:28 pm

As an EU citizen/Greek passport holder though, the OP should not have an issue entering the UK through the e-scanners.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tyx
Newly Registered

Post by tyx » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Of course you can still use your Greek passport. You are still Greek, and both Greece and the UK allow multiple nationalities. There is no issue here, you should not be worried at all. Your 2017 Greek passport is absolutely valid and you can still use it with no problem. As a matter of fact it's better to go to Dubai as a Greek citizen, you can stay 3 times longer than a British citizen without a visa :)
And of course you won't have any concerns re-entering the UK with your Greek passport, as I'm sure you know.
I have triple nationality (3 passports) and just swap between them as I please. What matters is that you enter and exit the country with the same passport.
Καλό ταξίδι! ;)