ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bahamian Citizen Moving to England

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Bahamian Citizen Moving to England

Post by Lennon_utt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 am

Well actually i would like to move to Germny bbut i have also been considering England alot and would like to know if there is an easier way for a bahamian citizen to move to England

Ok i found way and it is called the Working HolidayMaker visa. any thing stringent i shoudl know about this cuz i fall right in line with it

Thanks,
Lennon

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Bahamian Citizen Moving to England

Post by sakura » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 am

Lennon_utt wrote:Well actually i would like to move to Germny bbut i have also been considering England alot and would like to know if there is an easier way for a bahamian citizen to move to England

Ok i found way and it is called the Working HolidayMaker visa. any thing stringent i shoudl know about this cuz i fall right in line with it

Thanks,
Lennon
Read about it on www.workingintheuk.gov.uk and maybe the British High Commission in the Bahamas website.

It'll be almost impossible to move to Germany, unless you were considering studying there or marrying a German national/resident.

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:58 am

Hmm yes thanks man but i already ran across this site while i was searching. i found out tho that our high comission place is actually in jamacia. i am thinking that the UK is my place to go now tho. i could get a job doing any thing. but does any one know if that will count towards permenant residency? and what could i apply for after the two years? nd also could i go to other EU countries? im still researching this but any help is appreciated

Thanks
Lennon

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:20 am

Lennon_utt wrote:Hmm yes thanks man but i already ran across this site while i was searching. i found out tho that our high comission place is actually in jamacia. i am thinking that the UK is my place to go now tho. i could get a job doing any thing. but does any one know if that will count towards permenant residency? and what could i apply for after the two years? nd also could i go to other EU countries? im still researching this but any help is appreciated

Thanks
Lennon
The WHM visa counts towards the 10 (ten) year long residency category (you must have had ten years of legal and continuous stay in the UK) or the 14 years long residency (a mixture of legal and non-legal and continuous stay in the UK). Do a search on the 10 years LRC to find out what 'continuous' means. It can also help you get citizenship faster IF/ONCE you marry a British citizen, as the residency requirement would have been (almost!) met.

The WHM only allows you to work for 12 continuous months, and spend another 12 months 'holidaying'. As a Bahamian passport-holder, I think you can travel (as a visitor...it does not allow you to work anywhere else except the UK) to most of the EU countries without a visa (not 100% sure, so do check before flying!), so you can holiday with ease once here.

Before the WHM expires, you can apply for any visa category you qualify for - work permit (sponsored by an employer), HSMP, student visa, etc.

I suggest you either get a good, proper job, and use that as a stepping stone for a work permit or HSMP application, or save up and apply to study here, if you wish to stay in the UK longer.

What is your age, and what qualifications do you possess?

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:27 am

Ok well here are my stats

I am a 22 Year old Cacasion (White) Bahamian
single
no children
and i am of American, Irish, Canadian, American decent ( yea they say bahamians mixed up like conch salad)

I am highly skilled in audio engennering ( Live Production, Dj'ing, Car audio, Fabrication, and now i am training in studio work)

there is no economic growth in my country any more and everbody knows everybody and is related to everyone, it sucks. i am willing to do any thing to get my mule to the other side of the world and englnd has been one of those long time hopefulls

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:30 am

also i read somewhere that you can take your "holidaying" breaks any time you wanted and then continue employment

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm

Lennon_utt wrote:Ok well here are my stats

I am a 22 Year old Cacasion (White) Bahamian
single
no children
and i am of American, Irish, Canadian, American decent ( yea they say bahamians mixed up like conch salad)

I am highly skilled in audio engennering ( Live Production, Dj'ing, Car audio, Fabrication, and now i am training in studio work)

there is no economic growth in my country any more and everbody knows everybody and is related to everyone, it sucks. i am willing to do any thing to get my mule to the other side of the world and englnd has been one of those long time hopefulls
Have you looked into Irish ancestry? Who in your heritage is Irish (in your diret line...e.g. parents, grandparents, etc)?

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:38 pm

i missed the ancestry thing by 2 years, my grand mother was born 2 years after the set date

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Was your grandmother born in Ireland then? In what year?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 am

yea she was born in Ireland and migrated to boston, wherfe my grandfather and her met in the army moved here blah blah blah
but i dont qualify for it. i e-mailed the little office we got here and they directed me to this site http://www.britainusa.com/ but it has no info on the wrkers hliday visa because it is for the USA. where i could i get the application from and who would i need to send it to? THe jamacian consulate or the place in new york? im confused

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:40 am

Look at www.ukvisas.gov.uk You may well qualify for the ancestry visa. But you may well also be able to get Irish citizenship. COntact the Irish Embassy for information.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 am

you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)

She was born after 1922 in ireland

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:08 pm

Lennon_utt wrote:you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)

She was born after 1922 in ireland
In that case you can apply for registration as an Irish citizen, which will allow you to live freely in the U.K. However you should check with the Bahamas authorities as to whether this will cause loss of your Bahamian citizenship.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:34 pm

It's a good thing we kept this conversation rolling long enough to establish your Irish ancestry!! How amazed must you be, lennon! Do you have any siblings?

JAJ - this probably means that his parents (whichever one is the child of his grandmother) can also apply for Irish nationality, or should already be an Irish national?

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Here you go, courtesy of google.

http://indigo.ie/~kwood/citizenship.htm

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:05 pm

hold on i dont understand I AM of Irish Decent, But when i checked the qualifications i just missed it cuz my grandmother was born After the year it says for qualification. Or jus because she was born in Ireland that automatically qualifies me as able to live in the uk?

Im confused again. any help would appreciate
Thanks. Lennon

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Lennon

The cut off date you referred to was in respect of UK nationality. You don't qualify for that,but by virtue of the fact your grandmother was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland you qualify for Irish nationality. As an Irish national you are also an EU national and are therefore able to reside in either Ireland or the UK or any other EU country that takes your fancy. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Ok insider i went to the site and what it and you all are basically telling me that since my grandmother was irish i could apply to become in citizen in ireland? i mean just like that?? it will be even better if i could do that while in UK. but i like that idea alot cuz then i could proly still go to germany!!

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:21 pm

INSIDER wrote:Lennon

The cut off date you referred to was in respect of UK nationality. You don't qualify for that,but by virtue of the fact your grandmother was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland you qualify for Irish nationality. As an Irish national you are also an EU national and are therefore able to reside in either Ireland or the UK or any other EU country that takes your fancy. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Shit the is even better news then i expected
thanks for that man im going to look into alla that right now

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 pm

What I would advise you Lennon is to attempt to verify your claim at the nearest Irish embassy to you before coming to Europe I think you said this is Jamaica.

If this is not possible then you will need to have all documentary evidence in proof of your claim when you arrive in either the UK or Ireland.

Good Luck.

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:10 pm

UK embassy is in jamacia, there is no irish embassy or office around here but im checking

but i mean jeez this is some really good news, i would really like to thank everyone thats helped me. this board has been awesome 8)

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm making my application for Irish citizenship at the moment, and this is what you need to do -

The first step is to get a form for Foreign Births Registration and send that off with all the evidence. And there is a lot of evidence needed, such as your birth certificate, your parent's birth certificate, grandparent's birth certificate, marriage certificates, death certificates...it's an annoying process just to register, and then I gather it's a pain to get the passport too. But once you have it, you are free to live anywhere in the EU.

This link http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267#for should help.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:17 pm

VictoriaS wrote:I'm making my application for Irish citizenship at the moment, and this is what you need to do -

The first step is to get a form for Foreign Births Registration and send that off with all the evidence. And there is a lot of evidence needed, such as your birth certificate, your parent's birth certificate, grandparent's birth certificate, marriage certificates, death certificates...it's an annoying process just to register, and then I gather it's a pain to get the passport too. But once you have it, you are free to live anywhere in the EU.

This link http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267#for should help.

Victoria
Funny really, I've lived 46 years believing my grandfather to be Irish, turns out he wasn't! Despite rich Celtic family history, a recent perusal of the Family Bible showed not even my Great Grandfather was Irish born.

Mind you, who knows really, but I'm sure me Da's Da was Irish!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:37 am

INSIDER wrote:Lennon

The cut off date you referred to was in respect of UK nationality.
In fact the cut-off date was for a U.K. ancestry visa (not citizenship).

But the Republic of Ireland is a different country. The reason that Republic of Ireland grandparents can give rise to an ancestry visa entitlement is that what is now that country was part of the U.K. between 1 January 1801 and 5 December 1922.

For some unclear reason the immigration cut-off date is 31 March 1922.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:38 am

INSIDER wrote:If this is not possible then you will need to have all documentary evidence in proof of your claim when you arrive in either the UK or Ireland.
He cannot do that. If he tries, he will be sent straight home.

The only way to achieve this is to register as a citizen and get an Irish passport before leaving the Bahamas.