ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport application from india

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pravinuk
Newly Registered

british passport application from india

Post by pravinuk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:39 am

I would be grateful if you could help me. I was living in the UK on PR. I relocated to India in Dec 2013. I went to UK for my oath ceremony in July 2014, received citizenship certificate and returned to India immediately. Have not applied for British passport yet.
1. If I apply for passport now what address should I put in my application form? Can I put an Indian address on British passport application.
2.Do they send passport to Indian address?
3.Will I have to go for an interview- if yes, will it be in India?
Many thanks

t2ict

Re: british passport application from india

Post by t2ict » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:52 am

pravinuk wrote:I would be grateful if you could help me. I was living in the UK on PR. I relocated to India in Dec 2013. I went to UK for my oath ceremony in July 2014, received citizenship certificate and returned to India immediately. Have not applied for British passport yet.
1. If I apply for passport now what address should I put in my application form? Can I put an Indian address on British passport application. Do you think the Indian government will do the same for a foreign citizen taking up Indian citizen ship and have foreign address in passport ?

Many thanks

lijogrg444

Post by lijogrg444 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:36 am

british passport doesnt have address on it Yes you can

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:18 am

lijogrg444 wrote:british passport doesnt have address on it Yes you can

Doesn't the OP have to surrender the Indian passport before getting the UK one?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:01 pm

chocolateorange88 wrote:
lijogrg444 wrote:british passport doesnt have address on it Yes you can

Doesn't the OP have to surrender the Indian passport before getting the UK one?
No. As far as the UK is concerned, that is strictly a matter between the OP and the OP's other (former) nation of citizenship, and is none of their business.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:17 pm

pravinuk wrote:I would be grateful if you could help me. I was living in the UK on PR. I relocated to India in Dec 2013. I went to UK for my oath ceremony in July 2014, received citizenship certificate and returned to India immediately. Have not applied for British passport yet.
1. If I apply for passport now what address should I put in my application form? Can I put an Indian address on British passport application.
Many thanks
There was a thread on this.
  • 1. Yes, you can.

2. Yes, they will.

3. Probably, yes, though admittedly, I couldn't fine the exact details. You will likely have to go to the nearest British consulate.
I think the bigger concern for you is your status in India. Technically, you were only supposed to travel on your old passport for absolutely necessary or pre-planned travel up to 90 days after acquiring British citizenship. I suppose since you legally entered the country, you cannot be classed as an 'overstayer', but you might want to check up on that. The moment you use that new British passport to leave India, you are going to need a visa to get back in.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:58 pm

t2ict wrote:Do you think the Indian government will do the same for a foreign citizen taking up Indian citizen ship and have foreign address in passport ?
The UK, in general, is broadly much more accommodating of such requirements than the Indian government.

Besides, many British citizens can and do live abroad, in Spain and Australia, for instance. So, it is not as strange a request as it seems.
chocolateorange88 wrote:Doesn't the OP have to surrender the Indian passport before getting the UK one?
No. The Indian passport surrender takes place after getting a foreign passport. Indeed, the foreign passport number is a required part (not sure why) of the surrender application and a copy of the foreign passport must be submitted as well.
ouflak1 wrote:
1. Yes, you can.

2. Yes, they will.

3. Probably, yes, though admittedly, I couldn't fine the exact details. You will likely have to go to the nearest British consulate.

I think the bigger concern for you is your status in India. Technically, you were only supposed to travel on your old passport for absolutely necessary or pre-planned travel up to 90 days after acquiring British citizenship. I suppose since you legally entered the country, you cannot be classed as an 'overstayer', but you might want to check up on that. The moment you use that new British passport to leave India, you are going to need a visa to get back in.
More information on applying for a passport from outside the UK. Remember that you will need a counter-signatory who meets the requirements on Page 11 of that document. Thankfully, India is still a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and hence an Indian professional can still counter-sign your form. They will need to have known you personally (professional acquaintances are not allowed) for atleast two years.

I concur with outflak1. Your Indian citizenship expired on the day you got your British citizenship. But you had the grace period of 90 days of use of the Indian passport while you arranged to get a new passport of your new citizenship.

You have overstayed the 90 day limit on using the Indian passport. Living in India, I am sure you are aware of the nature of Indian babudom. You will certainly be fined for misuse of an Indian passport and will have to arrange for an exit visa for when you are granted a British passport. Given that you have lived in India in breach of Indian laws as regards passport usage, I would imagine that getting OCI or an X-visa would be more complicated for you.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.