ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent visa for recent ILR - FLR(M) or Dependent on PBS?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nihMoham
Newly Registered

Dependent visa for recent ILR - FLR(M) or Dependent on PBS?

Post by nihMoham » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 pm

I recently got my ILR using the advice on this forum (many thanks!), after having originally come to the UK on a Tier 1 General visa. My fiancee is here on a Tier 4 Student Visa, expiring 31st of January 2016 (less than 6 months).

We are getting married in the first week of November (the HO determined that it was not going to investigate our relationship with regard to the wedding ceremony). I want to have her leave to remain switched to a dependent visa, however there seems to be some ambiguity in what the process is - is she supposed to apply as a family of a settled person (https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family) or as a dependent under the PBS Tier 1 General visa (https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-general/family-members) ? The "exceptions" section in the first link seems to indicate that it has to be as a PBS dependent, however having spoken to an advisor at my fiancee's college, he said it would be the FLR(M).

After the meeting, he emailed to say that having reviewed the necessary documentation he believed that I could apply under either scenario, however I am not entirely sure he knows what he is talking about (he's an international student advisor who is not OISC registered and has never dealt with a situation like this before).

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated

vinny

Re: Dependent visa for recent ILR - FLR(M) or Dependent on P

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:28 pm

As you already have ILR, FLR(M) is correct, assuming that all the requirements under Appendix FM-SE, etc., are met. This includes the requirement that her current leave should have been granted for a period exceeding six months.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nihMoham
Newly Registered

Post by nihMoham » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 pm

vinny wrote:As you already have ILR, FLR(M) is correct, assuming that all the requirements under Appendix FM-SE, etc., are met. This includes the requirement that her current leave should have been granted for a period exceeding six months.
Thanks vinny - her Tier 4 visa was granted from September 2014, so it was granted for a 16 month period - Am I mistaken in thinking it was a requirement that the visa should be valid for 6 months for her to be able to switch?

Also, on another note, thanks for all your guidance and posts on topics - was a godsend when i was applying for my own ILR

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:37 am

nihMoham wrote:Thanks vinny - her Tier 4 visa was granted from September 2014, so it was granted for a 16 month period - Am I mistaken in thinking it was a requirement that the visa should be valid for 6 months for her to be able to switch?
She may switch to FLR(M) prior to expiry of her leave, that was granted for a period exceeding six months. E-LTRP.2.1.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.