ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents Settlement Visa - Success atlast!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UKRanger
Newly Registered

Parents Settlement Visa - Success atlast!

Post by UKRanger » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:17 pm

Folks,

Thanks for your previous replies and interest. It has been a horrendous 1 year for me since last year. But in the end, justice prevailed! My parents have got a settlement visa to accompany us in the UK! It is unbelievable. Really a miracle. We went through absolute hell in terms of convincing the authorities about our situation. ( Please check my previous post, link copied here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=)

Midway, our struggle got even worse, because the initial lawyer turned out to be extremely dodgy. He would takes hundreds of pounds from us at each visit but no work was done. We hardly had any idea about legal stuff and got duped. Finally his office was closed and we had no phone or contact. We later found through some other lawyer that he has been debarred and he cannot practice. We lost all our files and papers, most of them originals! We thought we had absolutely no way of reviving this case now, as we had lost so much paperwork as evidence. But through another lawyer, we won. He was a good lawyer. He said that he did not have to do much work, as my case was quite straightforward and would win in the court anyway. I also did a lot of paperwork in terms of writeups and evidence gathering myself. He just appeared in the court and did a really good job in terms of talking!

We raised an appeal and we had to visit the court. The judge heard our appeal. Both me and my wife were questioned. We thought we have good evidence. The next 10 days were absolute nightmare in terms of waiting.

My comments to other people here is - I can certainly understand the frustration and helplesness most of you will be feeling. I hope things turn out well for you. At anytime do not get disheartened. Use all the appropriate means and also use the right methods - as mentioned in the home office appeals section of the website.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Congratulations!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:52 pm

I'm very glad it all worked out for you!

magata

Post by magata » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Great! congratulations

pwsharma
Newly Registered

Please advise

Post by pwsharma » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:30 pm

Congratulations! Would really appreciate your advice on a similar situation.

The immigration officers were very rude and refused my parents settlement visa on grounds that we could not demonstrate financial dependence and that they have brother and sisters back in India. My father is over 65 years and my mother is over 60. We are two sisters, both settled in the UK. I am a British citizen and live here with my husband and two year old son. My sister is in the UK on a five year work permit. I sponsored my parents to come to the UK and all the relevant papers from my side in terms of income and accommodation were found satisfactory.

We appealed against the decision and have a court hearing in December this year.

My parents siblings are all over 50 years and themselves over or nearing pensionable age. My father gets some pension after his retirement but not sufficient to survive. My mother is not working. However, we do not have any proof of sending money as it has mostly been in person (whenever we visit India or they came to UK which has been every few months for the last three years...they have been to the UK three times previously on visiting visa).

Please advise as to how we can demonstrate that my parents siblings cannot provide financial support. Is there any other means of demonstrating financial dependence that may be acceptable?

UKRanger, could you kindly forward details of the lawyer. Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Pwsharma

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Please advise

Post by sakura » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:16 pm

pwsharma wrote:Congratulations! Would really appreciate your advice on a similar situation.

The immigration officers were very rude and refused my parents settlement visa on grounds that we could not demonstrate financial dependence and that they have brother and sisters back in India. My father is over 65 years and my mother is over 60. We are two sisters, both settled in the UK. I am a British citizen and live here with my husband and two year old son. My sister is in the UK on a five year work permit. I sponsored my parents to come to the UK and all the relevant papers from my side in terms of income and accommodation were found satisfactory.

We appealed against the decision and have a court hearing in December this year.

My parents siblings are all over 50 years and themselves over or nearing pensionable age. My father gets some pension after his retirement but not sufficient to survive. My mother is not working. However, we do not have any proof of sending money as it has mostly been in person (whenever we visit India or they came to UK which has been every few months for the last three years...they have been to the UK three times previously on visiting visa).

Please advise as to how we can demonstrate that my parents siblings cannot provide financial support. Is there any other means of demonstrating financial dependence that may be acceptable?

UKRanger, could you kindly forward details of the lawyer. Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Pwsharma
Just to clarify - you sister does not yet have ILR or BC? If not, she isn't yet settled...did she apply for your parents' settlement visa along with you, or did you do it alone?

pwsharma
Newly Registered

Post by pwsharma » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:53 pm

I applied on my own but stating that my sister was here in the UK as well on a work permit and living in separate accommodation