ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bahamian Citizen Moving to England

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 am

Lennon_utt wrote:UK embassy is in jamacia, there is no irish embassy or office around here but im checking
You can check to see if there is any embassy at: http://www.dfa.ie

If not, you can try the embassy in Washington DC or failing that, contact the Department of Justice in Dublin:
http://www.irelandemb.org/
http://www.justice.ie

Bear in mind that you will have to collect a lot of documentation and then your application will take time to process, so it's not going to happen all that quickly. As someone else has noted, you may discover from the documents that you are not eligible after all.

And you do need to get some confirmation in writing from the Bahamas authorities (or a lawyer in the Bahamas) that you will be allowed to keep your Bahamian citizenship, unless you don't mind losing it.

Lennon_utt
Newly Registered

Post by Lennon_utt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:09 am

ok bad news found it is actually great grand parents from ireland not grand mother ( she was bourn in massachussetts, well now i dunno what i am going to do. prolly a Working holiday visa still

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:17 am

Ah, what a shame!

Good luck with the working holiday maker visa.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:36 am

Lennon_utt wrote:ok bad news found it is actually great grand parents from ireland not grand mother ( she was bourn in massachussetts, well now i dunno what i am going to do. prolly a Working holiday visa still
There's still a chance if ur Grandparent registered as an Irish citizen. Long shot since most never bothered...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:42 am

JAJ wrote:
INSIDER wrote:If this is not possible then you will need to have all documentary evidence in proof of your claim when you arrive in either the UK or Ireland.
He cannot do that. If he tries, he will be sent straight home.

The only way to achieve this is to register as a citizen and get an Irish passport before leaving the Bahamas.
Yes he can. As it turns out it would seem Lennon is not entitled to Irish Citizenship,but if he were and it was apparent on the face of the documents he was then there is no way the Irish Garda would refuse an Irish national entry.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:50 pm

INSIDER wrote: Yes he can. As it turns out it would seem Lennon is not entitled to Irish Citizenship,but if he were and it was apparent on the face of the documents he was then there is no way the Irish Garda would refuse an Irish national entry.
Even if he has an Irish born grandparent he would not be a citizen, only entitled to apply for registration. It is not possible to do the process at the port of entry.

U.K. Immigration would be even less sympathetic.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Absolutely. Unless he registers the Foreign Births registration then he is not considered an Irish national, and he would be refused entry without question.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Victoria and JAJ,

I maintain you are still both wrong.

I don't call myself Insider for nothing. :wink:

If someone arrives at the port of entry with a non-EU passport and claims entitlement to British nationality through whatever method, that claim will be examined at port and if it appears on the face of it that such a person is entitled to it he/she will not be refused but be granted a limited period of entry and told to visit the Home office and sort matters out there.

Similarly if an Irish nationality claimant was in transit through the UK to Ireland, reference would first be made to the Irish Garda, and I can tell you so long as the person has a legitimate claim to Irish nationality backed up with documentary evidence, he/she will not be refused by either the Garda or UK immigration.