ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by chaoclive » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:56 am

louise2 wrote:Hi al i am wishing to add my story.

I am known on this board as Louise however cannot access that account so chaoclive if your reading , Hi :)

I am also in the process of waiting for my renunciation of my british citizenship, I too at present am Irish and British, my husband is american.

The home office received my renunciation back on the 5th may 2015, payment was taken around 16th june 2015 ( due to a problem with payment being made, that delayed things slightly. I called cashiers made payment .

Then nothing, for a few weeks , then received a letter saying thank you for my application for British citizenship. yip i got one too. I wasnt going to email them so called the only number i had which was cashiers they laughed it of and said do not worry error on their side and my application for renunciation was in.

I still to this day havnt received my renunciation and it will be 6 months on the 5th November 2015.

And the waiting game continues, i too have rang them to chase things up , im also told there is nothing they will tell me until 6 months have passed. I have emailed them to be told the same thing. It is slowly destroying my marriage , my husband and I are so frustrated , upset , all the different emotions im sure you can all understand. I honestly thought i would have had my renunciation done by summer holidays thought be nice for kids .. nope, now all i can is hope is he home for xmas, but at the back of your mind you start to wonder will they find anything to not process it. They have had both of my passports ( Irish and British) for neally 6 months now, and every day when postman come slight hope comes, then quickly goes where there is nothing.

I am sorry for you al in the waiting game. but at least we are not alone.
Hi Louise! I was thinking about you the other day when reading through these posts. I really hope you get the renunciation form back soon so you can get on with your life! It's madness at the moment. :(

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Good to hear from you , hope you and your family are well. :)

2 weeks today the 6 months is up. I have never been so anxious in my life. I cannot understand why its taking so long..

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 pm

louise2 wrote:Good to hear from you , hope you and your family are well. :)

2 weeks today the 6 months is up. I have never been so anxious in my life. I cannot understand why its taking so long..
Hi Louise,

Thanks for sharing your updates with us; although, I have to say it's with a heavy heart that I read your message. I've had a feeling [intuition] for some time now that are intentionally making this process last the full 6 months; reasons: I think they know why people with dual Irish/British nationality are renouncing and they're going to make it as difficult for them as they can; is it to put people off or until new legislation comes in and closes this loophole? I don't know. Of course, I have no evidence of this it's just a feeling; I'm sure there are other reasons too, like the recent wave of immigration; all, bad news for us.

It's amazing that less than a year ago people on this board were getting them back in around 2 months. I feel really bad for you and everyone waiting. I've just past the 3 month mark and like you it's putting a terrible strain on my marriage, mainly due to the uncertainty. I'm really interested to see if they'll process your RN before the 6 months are up or are they going to invent some bullshit reason to delay it; I sincerely hope not. I've been looking for work in other EU countries but so far to no avail. Will you be able to contact them when the 6 months are up in 2 weeks?

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi White Emerald. I do feel they are deliberately delaying this i know no evidence, its just my personal opinion, but i really do, and it worries me in my mind i think, will they find anything to delay it or worse still refuse it. I cannot understand how these "people" who work for the home office can be so cruel, playing god with peoples lives. My husband and I both work , law abiding people, our crime i dont earn the 18.600pa, and i cant with two children under 14yrs to support by myself.

With regards to your question i have been told that after the 6 months i can call and they will give me updates. In my head what takes so long to process our renunciations? they have a Irish passport , they have a British passport, the fee is long paid, its my right surely to decide if i wish to renounce, not theirs?

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:52 pm

louise2 wrote:Hi White Emerald. I do feel they are deliberately delaying this i know no evidence, its just my personal opinion, but i really do, and it worries me in my mind i think, will they find anything to delay it or worse still refuse it. I cannot understand how these "people" who work for the home office can be so cruel, playing god with peoples lives. My husband and I both work , law abiding people, our crime i dont earn the 18.600pa, and i cant with two children under 14yrs to support by myself.

With regards to your question i have been told that after the 6 months i can call and they will give me updates. In my head what takes so long to process our renunciations? they have a Irish passport , they have a British passport, the fee is long paid, its my right surely to decide if i wish to renounce, not theirs?
I specifically requested that my Irish passport be sent back as soon as possible as I needed it for travel. Remarkably, they sent it back within a week of taking the fee; although, they also originally told me: "your request for British citizenship is under consideration" :roll: I then sent another recorded delivery letter pointing out this mistake, but before it even reached them I got the correct one; so someone had realised their error.

I really feel for you as I've never heard of anyone waiting this long. I wouldn't say they're cruel per se; rather, they've been instructed to make the process as difficult as possible. It's all part of a wider clamping down on immigration I feel and a desire to remain in the EU [possibly] but with the right to adapt the immigration rights as they see fit. I'm sure this loophole is going to be closed in the future. However, what reason could they have to refuse renunciation? If you have a second passport, then you have the right to consider yourself a citizen of another country. I'm sure I speak for everyone here, In hoping you receive your RN in the next 2 weeks. It feels like you're on the frontline with the 6 months so close.

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm

When i submitted my application back in late April, due to the bank holiday it was received 5th may and with it i enclosed a pre paid envelope for my Irish passport with a note saying basically, when your done with the Irish passport and application there is the envelope to return it however my Irish passport was also returned in a matter of days with the thank you for your British Citzenship letter. When i called cashiers confused and concerned they explained it was a error but i was worried the return of my Irish passport would delay things, i rang the helpline number who basically said best to re send it in however cashiers said they would have took a photocopy of the passport, so it cost me another 7 pounds plus in special delivery to resend it as i didnt want anything to delay things.

But that makes you think if they can pick up on things like that so quick then there is no reason this taking so long .. Maybe cruel was the wrong word but to me seeing my kids faces confused why their stepdad still not here and my husband sleeping on a couch at his family's place as he cant rent a place he cannot commit to any tenancy agreements etc, just breaks your heart , it feels cruel, it feels personal.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Fast approaching 4 months here. As far as the gov closing the 'Loophole' I dont think they can.. I mean we have the right to refuse citizenship if we want! I have never had a British passport since the good friday agreement and I assert my right to use my Irish citizenship. I think to be honest they are just dragging it out and putting us at the bottom of the pile in terms of priority because they can. It is sickening to me how easy it can be to sneak into the UK but when a law abiding citizen falls in love and marrys a non EU citizen then good luck!

Lets be thankful we have this option, many people do not meet the ludicrious requirements for this and in effect are banned from marrying a foreign person. Why don't they change the rules so that the couple has to be married (not just resident) for so many years before the non UK/EU spouse can claim citizenship?

Lets hope by Christmas at the latest something comes up! In the case of Louise - tommorow!! - Thinking about you and wishing you the best for your application, do not let this ruin your relationship and stay strong, please let us know the minute you hear anything as we are all in the same boat :)

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 pm

BCarter wrote:Fast approaching 4 months here. As far as the gov closing the 'Loophole' I dont think they can.. I mean we have the right to refuse citizenship if we want! I have never had a British passport since the good friday agreement and I assert my right to use my Irish citizenship. I think to be honest they are just dragging it out and putting us at the bottom of the pile in terms of priority because they can. It is sickening to me how easy it can be to sneak into the UK but when a law abiding citizen falls in love and marrys a non EU citizen then good luck!

Lets be thankful we have this option, many people do not meet the ludicrious requirements for this and in effect are banned from marrying a foreign person. Why don't they change the rules so that the couple has to be married (not just resident) for so many years before the non UK/EU spouse can claim citizenship?

Lets hope by Christmas at the latest something comes up! In the case of Louise - tommorow!! - Thinking about you and wishing you the best for your application, do not let this ruin your relationship and stay strong, please let us know the minute you hear anything as we are all in the same boat :)
Thank you for your nice words, before i found this thread i thought it was just me still waiting, sounds silly hey..

Fingers crossed to everyone still waiting i wish you all to be reunited with your loved ones soon, i will be sure to update you all. I wonder if in two weeks at the 6 month mark if my update will be, calling them.. hope not.

mfhkay
Newly Registered

Post by mfhkay » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:15 pm

hello every one here
I am married to a non eu citizen and hold dual irish/british nationality and I've been posting but nobody gave me a reply i was born in england and lived here all my life i want to renounce my british nationality to get my husband an eea2 but I am affraid the ukba refused the application saying I am using my irish citizenship for immigration purposes what should i do if anyone can give me an advise

tigerram

Post by tigerram » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 pm

I gave you a reply, weeks ago.

Under legislation, unless you have already renounced your British citizenship, if you are a dual national you will be counted as British if your husband is applying to enter the UK. Why else do you think people here are renouncing their British status - it's certainly not for entertainment value I can tell you!
tigerram wrote:
mfhkay wrote:hello
I am just worried I have dual nationality was born in england and been living in england all my life I am affraid
they will refuse my husband application for EEA2 because I am using my irish nationality and i was english
can anyone help

The ruling is that if you are a dual national, you will be counted as British for their purposes. They will refuse it.

mfhkay
Newly Registered

Post by mfhkay » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:25 am

tigerram wrote:I gave you a reply, weeks ago.

Under legislation, unless you have already renounced your British citizenship, if you are a dual national you will be counted as British if your husband is applying to enter the UK. Why else do you think people here are renouncing their British status - it's certainly not for entertainment value I can tell you!
tigerram wrote:
mfhkay wrote:hello
I am just worried I have dual nationality was born in england and been living in england all my life I am affraid
they will refuse my husband application for EEA2 because I am using my irish nationality and i was english
can anyone help

The ruling is that if you are a dual national, you will be counted as British for their purposes. They will refuse it.

yes the problem is that Ive been always living in london and I wasnt born in NI my mother is from SI and I am getting some benefits as I lived always in england and never moved to ireland they might refuse certainly I didnt exercice the right of free movement

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:38 am

mfhkay wrote:hello every one here
I am married to a non eu citizen and hold dual irish/british nationality and I've been posting but nobody gave me a reply i was born in england and lived here all my life i want to renounce my british nationality to get my husband an eea2 but I am affraid the ukba refused the application saying I am using my irish citizenship for immigration purposes what should i do if anyone can give me an advise
you could consider doing the surinder singh route to another EEA country of which you do not have citizenship, e.g. france/spain and then return to the UK with your husband.

as it stands atm you should be rejected (as per: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ily-permit)

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:28 pm

chaoclive wrote:
as it stands atm you should be rejected (as per: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ily-permit)
Hi chaoclive.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't you get your RN application back in 2.5 months? In your opinion, why do you think it's now taking the full 6?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:21 pm

White Emerald wrote:
chaoclive wrote:
Hi chaoclive.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't you get your RN application back in 2.5 months? In your opinion, why do you think it's now taking the full 6?
Yeah, mine was about 2.5 months or thereabouts. I applied in Feb 2014. I guess I was one of the earlier people renouncing (but I know there are loads of people who completed the process before me).

I'm sure the Home Office are starting to catch on to the reason why more people have started renouncing British citizenship - I guess they are trying to cut down how easy/simple/quick it is to do so. As soon as you lose British citizenship, you automatically have the right to have your family members in the UK. This is definitely not something that the govt would want to happen (immigration targets etc) and I'm sure they will try to delay the opportunity as long as possible.

Hope it works out for everyone soon!

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 am

chaoclive wrote: Yeah, mine was about 2.5 months or thereabouts. I applied in Feb 2014. I guess I was one of the earlier people renouncing (but I know there are loads of people who completed the process before me).

I'm sure the Home Office are starting to catch on to the reason why more people have started renouncing British citizenship - I guess they are trying to cut down how easy/simple/quick it is to do so. As soon as you lose British citizenship, you automatically have the right to have your family members in the UK. This is definitely not something that the govt would want to happen (immigration targets etc) and I'm sure they will try to delay the opportunity as long as possible.

Hope it works out for everyone soon!
Yes, this is what I've been thinking the last few months; it can't be a coincidence, and seems to coincide with the last election so possibly it's new policy. The next question for me is: will they return the forms within the 6 month period, or are they going to find more ways to delay it? I suppose, we'll find out in the next 2 weeks when Louise is due to receive her RN apllication. Good luck everyone!

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Question: is it possible to invite my wife over on a family visitor visa while I'm waiting for the RN? I've read the relevant section on the Gov. site but it's not exactly clear; my father could invite her over as a visitor. Obviously, she can't work and you have to prove you can support the visitor [that's not a problem as i'm working] and it's up to 12 weeks to wait for an answer on this, but it seems like answers may be given more quickly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:27 pm

White Emerald wrote:Question: is it possible to invite my wife over on a family visitor visa while I'm waiting for the RN? I've read the relevant section on the Gov. site but it's not exactly clear; my father could invite her over as a visitor. Obviously, she can't work and you have to prove you can support the visitor [that's not a problem as i'm working] and it's up to 12 weeks to wait for an answer on this, but it seems like answers may be given more quickly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I like your thinking! How long have you been waiting on your RN Emerald?

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 pm

BCarter wrote: I like your thinking! How long have you been waiting on your RN Emerald?
Just past 3 months last week on 21st. I honestly never thought this would take the full 6 months as now seems to be happening. I would have tried to arrange something else while waiting instead of being apart; very frustrating and causing a lot of strain in our marriage. However, the full 6 months seems to be a very recent decision. are you into your 4th month BC?

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:20 pm

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote: I like your thinking! How long have you been waiting on your RN Emerald?
Just past 3 months last week on 21st. I honestly never thought this would take the full 6 months as now seems to be happening. I would have tried to arrange something else while waiting instead of being apart; very frustrating and causing a lot of strain in our marriage. However, the full 6 months seems to be a very recent decision. are you into your 4th month BC?
Mine will be 4 months this coming Thursday (29th) Myself and my wife are playing it cool and essentially trying to stay busy and pass the time until we can be together. I totally know what you mean about frustrating, when I applied for this my understanding was maybe it would take a couple of months! I hope someone on here gets some news and the rest of us can then see some light at the end of the tunnel. Louise is very close to the 6 months and I am hoping for good news any day from her, in the meantime all we can do is stay positive

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:16 pm

BCarter wrote: Mine will be 4 months this coming Thursday (29th) Myself and my wife are playing it cool and essentially trying to stay busy and pass the time until we can be together. I totally know what you mean about frustrating, when I applied for this my understanding was maybe it would take a couple of months! I hope someone on here gets some news and the rest of us can then see some light at the end of the tunnel. Louise is very close to the 6 months and I am hoping for good news any day from her, in the meantime all we can do is stay positive
Yes, I'm sure everyone is hoping to hear good news from Louise in the coming days. It seems to me like we're almost entering unchartered waters when the 6 months are up. In the meantime, i've been looking into the 6 month visitor visa and it looks promising; at least you get an answer in a designated time frame.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 pm

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote: Mine will be 4 months this coming Thursday (29th) Myself and my wife are playing it cool and essentially trying to stay busy and pass the time until we can be together. I totally know what you mean about frustrating, when I applied for this my understanding was maybe it would take a couple of months! I hope someone on here gets some news and the rest of us can then see some light at the end of the tunnel. Louise is very close to the 6 months and I am hoping for good news any day from her, in the meantime all we can do is stay positive
Yes, I'm sure everyone is hoping to hear good news from Louise in the coming days. It seems to me like we're almost entering unchartered waters when the 6 months are up. In the meantime, i've been looking into the 6 month visitor visa and it looks promising; at least you get an answer in a designated time frame.

Doesn't the visitor Visa take 12 weeks to process? Also it seems quite expensive, that and it prevents your spouse from working or seeking work.. It's great to consider other options though! I think I'm past the point of no return and I'm just going to wait. I'm hoping by the end of December or early January at the very latest I hear something back, i'm trying to put a brave face on for this but to be honest it is very very difficult.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:23 pm

BCarter wrote: Doesn't the visitor Visa take 12 weeks to process? Also it seems quite expensive, that and it prevents your spouse from working or seeking work.. It's great to consider other options though! I think I'm past the point of no return and I'm just going to wait. I'm hoping by the end of December or early January at the very latest I hear something back, i'm trying to put a brave face on for this but to be honest it is very very difficult.
Yes, It can take up to 12 weeks; however, you get a yes/no answer in 10 days and actually at £85 I don't think it'sthat expensive if it means we can be together. Even, if/when we get the RN application stamped, there is still the EEA family permit to apply for which will be another month; that's 4 more in total the way things are going and neither of us can wait that long as we've been apart too long already. Yes, my wife won't be able to work but at least we'd be together and I can support us. This whole process is torture for everyone which is why the next 2 weeks in regards to Louise's application is so important. It's the hanging on indefinitely that is the hardest part.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:55 pm

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote: Doesn't the visitor Visa take 12 weeks to process? Also it seems quite expensive, that and it prevents your spouse from working or seeking work.. It's great to consider other options though! I think I'm past the point of no return and I'm just going to wait. I'm hoping by the end of December or early January at the very latest I hear something back, i'm trying to put a brave face on for this but to be honest it is very very difficult.
Yes, It can take up to 12 weeks; however, you get a yes/no answer in 10 days and actually at £85 I don't think it'sthat expensive if it means we can be together. Even, if/when we get the RN application stamped, there is still the EEA family permit to apply for which will be another month; that's 4 more in total the way things are going and neither of us can wait that long as we've been apart too long already. Yes, my wife won't be able to work but at least we'd be together and I can support us. This whole process is torture for everyone which is why the next 2 weeks in regards to Louise's application is so important. It's the hanging on indefinitely that is the hardest part.
Oh really? I must've been looking at the wrong information, whenever I was looking at cost about a grand... Do you have a link to the application process for this? I agree with you it is torture, I hope in a short while we all over this and with our spouses.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:10 am

BCarter wrote: Oh really? I must've been looking at the wrong information, whenever I was looking at cost about a grand... Do you have a link to the application process for this? I agree with you it is torture, I hope in a short while we all over this and with our spouses.
It seems to me that's the settlement visa; the 6 month visitor visa is £85: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any news good or bad ?

Also does anyone know who the last member of this forum to receive their RC was? Would be interesting to see how long theirs took