ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time spent outside UK AFTER naturalization.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

KenAlgar

Time spent outside UK AFTER naturalization.

Post by KenAlgar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 am

My ex wife was granted a Certificate of naturalization in August 2013.
She does not yet hold a British passport
She has since spent over two years outside the UK in her native Ghana.
Can she expect any issues with immigration should she return to UK ?
I am aware ILR can be revoked following an absence of over two years but now she has naturalization.
I believe there should not be a problem but I really need some confirmation or otherwise.
Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Time spent outside UK AFTER naturalization.

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:55 am

Her ILR effectively ceased when she became a citizen. While there is no absence limit for British citizens, how will she convince the airline that she is entitled to entry to the UK? A naturalisation certificate is not a travel document. Hopefully she won't have an issue, and on arrival, she should have all her paperwork to hand but she should expect some questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KenAlgar

Post by KenAlgar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:18 am

She holds a current Ghana passport containing her UK Residence Permit (ILR) so presenting this together with the certificate at the UK border there should not be a problem ?
Surely UKBA would check the certificate number and validate its authenticity ?

tripping

Post by tripping » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:52 pm

There is no other way of proving her citizenship, other than producing the naturalisation certificate and her Ghana passport. but do prepare to be questioned by UKBA on arrival and be treated with suspicion. No one can predict how UKBA will react so wish her luck. The mood on immigration/citizenship is getting tighter so make sure she has all paperwork at hand. Not a reflection on you per se, but people in general need to be well aware of all rules concerning travelling post gaining British citizenship without British passport, they are all documented. Its just not worth the hassle - ignorance and oblivion are no excuses.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:58 pm

KenAlgar wrote:My ex wife was granted a Certificate of naturalization in August 2013.
She does not yet hold a British passport
She has since spent over two years outside the UK in her native Ghana.
Can she expect any issues with immigration should she return to UK ?
I am aware ILR can be revoked following an absence of over two years but now she has naturalization.
I believe there should not be a problem but I really need some confirmation or otherwise.
Thank you.
Your wife could eliminate potential issues by simply applying for the privilege of a British passport (or even an emergency travel document).
See https://www.gov.uk/government/world/org ... sion-accra
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:35 pm

She can not be issued an Emergency Travel Document if she has never had a British passport in the past.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
You usually can’t get an emergency travel document if you’ve never had a British passport
Applications for British passports could take about six to twelve months.

She could look into getting a CoE-RoA stamped into her Ghanaian passport. From information on these forums, that seems to take between six and sixteen weeks.

As a British citizen, she has the right to enter the UK at any time. She does not need a British passport. All she needs is proof of identity (her Ghanaian passport will do) and proof of citizenship (her naturalisation certificate will do). I would not expect the UKBA to give her grief, though her documents will be scrutinised very carefully. I would say thathe big problem will be that the airlines may not allow her to board without a visa or British passport. They may not be au fait with what a naturalisation certificate looks like or what it does.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.