ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian passport?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

darko

Romanian passport?

Post by darko » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:50 pm

My wife is Moldovan (which used to be part of Romania and now independent country). Her parents' brothers and sisters still live in Romania and are Romanians. I was wondering whether someone knows of a site where I can read more on getting a passport (via bloodline) and whether it is possible to get it even.

Thanks,
Darko

xindie
Newly Registered

Post by xindie » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:06 am

I am also Moldovan, holding a Romanian passport. It is really hard to get one, but not impossible. If she lives abroad (not in Moldova or Romania) she can try to contact local Romanian embassy to see if it is possible to apply there. If not, she can do it in Chisinau at Romanian Embassy or in Bucharest at Passport Bureau.

The procedure has simplified over the past years and it is more strict now and it can take a couple of years untill she gets a Romanian citizenship. I have applied in 2001 and got my passport in 2003.

darko

Post by darko » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:08 am

Thanks for reply! At least someone replied:)

We live in the US. I guess I will have her contact an embassy here.
But do you know what is required?

Do you think she will qualify?

Her grandmother's sisters all live in Romania and are Romanians and her grandfather's cousins also live in Romania and are Romanians.

xindie
Newly Registered

Post by xindie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:43 pm

Basic rule to qualify is to prove that her ancestors had been born during the time that Moldova was part of Romania - this is basically before 1940. These can be grandparents, older parents or even great-grandparets. To prove this, she would need to show their marriage/birth/death certificates, plus the certificates of the descendants until her.

This set of documents is required and is the most important. Note that the ancestors on the basis of whom she is claiming her Romanian citizenship must be born in Romania, Moldova (but not Transnistrian region), Ukraine (only regions that were part of Romania). Also, before getting the citizenship she will have an interview - in Romanian language.

darko

Post by darko » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:00 pm

Yes:) She won't have problems with Romanian language:) It's her native.
Her mother decided to apply herself anyways. Her mother's parents were both born in United Romania. And she will apply on behalf of her daughters (including my wife). So if everything is okay we can move to EU in 2007 :). I am tired of living in the US...too far from home:(.

Thanks for the help!