ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about Naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Passport
Newly Registered

Question about Naturalization

Post by Passport » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Hello,

What exactly does it mean when the residence period for naturalization can be waived with respect to people of "Irish descent or Irish associations"?

Does an Irish great-Grandparent count, or great-great Grandparent?

What are Irish associations?

Does it make any difference if you speak the Irish language?

Thank you.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Question about Naturalization

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Passport wrote:Hello,

What exactly does it mean when the residence period for naturalization can be waived with respect to people of "Irish descent or Irish associations"?

Does an Irish great-Grandparent count, or great-great Grandparent?

What are Irish associations?

Does it make any difference if you speak the Irish language?

Thank you.
Until the Irish authorities publish their policy instructions on exercising this discretion, no-one knows.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:40 pm

I don't know about the other points you mentioned, but unless they've changed it, applying for citizenship by descent only goes back as far as grandparents.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 pm

yankeegirl wrote:I don't know about the other points you mentioned, but unless they've changed it, applying for citizenship by descent only goes back as far as grandparents.
This isn't about citizenship by descent. It's about naturalisation and the ability of the Minister to waive the normal residence requirements.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:05 pm

My application was accepted on the basis that my great grandfather was irish. I applied after being in the country one year and ive been waiting for a decision for a year now. Im here presently on a stamp4eufam for 5 years.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:21 pm

For the purposes of this section a person is of Irish associations
if—
(a) he or she is related by blood, affinity or adoption to
a person who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an
Irish citizen, or
(b) he or she was related by blood, affinity or adoption
to a person who is deceased and who, at the time of
his or her death, was an Irish citizen or entitled to
be an Irish citizen.â€

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:25 am

jhbmike wrote:My application was accepted on the basis that my great grandfather was irish. I applied after being in the country one year and ive been waiting for a decision for a year now. Im here presently on a stamp4eufam for 5 years.
Your application may have been accepted as valid, but does it mean that it will be granted?

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:02 pm

No it doesnt mean that it will be granted. Nothing with Irish immigration is simple. I was worried sick for six months while I waited for a decision on my eu1 apllication. My mother is also Irish so im thinking I have a good shot, but if I dont get it, ill go somewhere else. It seems they dont really want foreigners here anymore. An example of this is my son was born in Dublin a year ago and when I went into the passport office to get his Irish passport the lady behind the counter was so rude to me. She said that my wife was short 1 month of the mandatory 3 years living in Ireland in order for my son to get his passport.
Ridiculous..

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:48 pm

You should qualify on the basis of Irish decent but that wont reduce the waiting times which stands at 30 months the last time I heard.

Unfortunately many people are penalised and mis out on citizenship because their grandfathers failed to register- I suppose it wasnt important back then.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:13 am

jhbmike wrote:No it doesnt mean that it will be granted. Nothing with Irish immigration is simple. I was worried sick for six months while I waited for a decision on my eu1 apllication. My mother is also Irish so im thinking I have a good shot, but if I dont get it, ill go somewhere else. It seems they dont really want foreigners here anymore. An example of this is my son was born in Dublin a year ago and when I went into the passport office to get his Irish passport the lady behind the counter was so rude to me. She said that my wife was short 1 month of the mandatory 3 years living in Ireland in order for my son to get his passport.
Ridiculous..
Does your son now have Irish citizenship? How does it work if the parent/s are short of the mandatory 3 years...if after the child is born they clock up three years (as in your case), can the child be an Irish national then? Or is it only 'prior to' birth? (Sorry...not related to my situation in the slightest - I don't have a situation! - but I'm curious to know the rules!)

Passport
Newly Registered

Post by Passport » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Hello!

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

I have one more question. Provided your naturalization application is accepted, is the request usually granted (after 30 months), or are most applications turned down?

Thank you,

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:01 pm

Sakura, I havent bothered pursuing it any further. I just went and got him a latvian and RSA passport. You must have been here 3 years before the birth to qaulify. All this seems ludicrous, I mean, I own a house here, my mother is Irish, my great grandfather was Irish and my application is in for naturalisation, but still the xenophobic passport officer was implying that I was trying to pull a fast one.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:35 pm

JAJ wrote:
jhbmike wrote:My application was accepted on the basis that my great grandfather was irish. I applied after being in the country one year and ive been waiting for a decision for a year now. Im here presently on a stamp4eufam for 5 years.
Your application may have been accepted as valid, but does it mean that it will be granted?
well, JAJ, you are right. the irish government could grant or refuse it. at the end of the day. they operating behind close door. they dont tell people what they do inside DOJ. in jhbmike case, it usually will be granted unless he committed some major crime. becuase of the new rule

i dont know when they changed the law here but the new rule is, if your grandparent was born in ireland, even tho your parent was born abroad, you will still classify as irish as long as you parent report to the irish embassy abroad and get you register. BUT if you have kids before your parents register in the irish embassy, by the new rule, your kids wont be classified as irish by the new rule unless your parent registered you in the irish embassy before your kid born!!!

in jhbmike case, his citizenship should be granted within a reasonable time because his parent is irish citizen, but again, he has been waiting for a year, it just showed 2 things. either the people in DOJ are some stupid lazy mule OR they just make jhbmike wait like everyone else.

i mean whatever DOJ doing now. it is very bad because they cant even honour what they have written in their own law. jhbmike is either irish or not, they cant even tell him in a reasonable time. this is sad.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:40 pm

mktsoi wrote: i dont know when they changed the law here but the new rule is, if your grandparent was born in ireland, even tho your parent was born abroad, you will still classify as irish as long as you parent report to the irish embassy abroad and get you register. BUT if you have kids before your parents register in the irish embassy, by the new rule, your kids wont be classified as irish by the new rule unless your parent registered you in the irish embassy before your kid born!!!
This "new rule" was put into force on 1 July 1986.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:50 pm

jhbmike wrote:Sakura, I havent bothered pursuing it any further. I just went and got him a latvian and RSA passport. You must have been here 3 years before the birth to qaulify. All this seems ludicrous, I mean, I own a house here, my mother is Irish, my great grandfather was Irish and my application is in for naturalisation, but still the xenophobic passport officer was implying that I was trying to pull a fast one.
hi jhbmike

since you just waiting for your passport. i dont know if you mother is irish born abroad or not. if your mom was born in ireland and you wont be binding into the new rule and you will be automatic become irish when you born. you are not like some of the people here, still under work permit. get your irish passport and prove those idiot wrong in the DOJ and passport office.

good luck

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:17 pm

mktsoi wrote:
jhbmike wrote:Sakura, I havent bothered pursuing it any further. I just went and got him a latvian and RSA passport. You must have been here 3 years before the birth to qaulify. All this seems ludicrous, I mean, I own a house here, my mother is Irish, my great grandfather was Irish and my application is in for naturalisation, but still the xenophobic passport officer was implying that I was trying to pull a fast one.
hi jhbmike

since you just waiting for your passport. i dont know if you mother is irish born abroad or not. if your mom was born in ireland and you wont be binding into the new rule and you will be automatic become irish when you born. you are not like some of the people here, still under work permit. get your irish passport and prove those idiot wrong in the DOJ and passport office.

good luck
It is more likely that his mother is Irish through her grandfather (his great grandfather) than by birth in Ireland, otherwise there would be no need to discuss this.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:25 pm

Youre correct joesoap

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:31 pm

sakura wrote: Does your son now have Irish citizenship? How does it work if the parent/s are short of the mandatory 3 years...if after the child is born they clock up three years (as in your case), can the child be an Irish national then? Or is it only 'prior to' birth?
The 3 years has to be prior to birth. Otherwise the child needs to be naturalised.

However, if one parent is a British citizen or permanent resident, or an Irish permanent resident, then the 3 year requirement does not apply.