ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

contacting local MP

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ohojska

contacting local MP

Post by ohojska » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:24 am

Dear All,
I have a question to all of you who cantacted their local MP in order to contact HO on your behalf. How did you get in touch with your MP? Did you talk to them in person or via email? Did the MP contact with the HO immediately? Did you wait exactly 6 months from the application date or did you contact for example a week before the 6 months?

Regards
Kate

ArtfulBadger
Newly Registered

Re: contacting local MP

Post by ArtfulBadger » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 am

Hi Kate,

I sent my application on the 27th of March, got a letter asking for more information on the 19th of May (which I sent off immediately), and haven't heard anything since. Seven months...

I contacted my MP by email last week on Wednesday, my MP's office asked for a bit of info (my case number) and made an inquiry the next day. I also sent a registered letter on the 19th of October to the person on the letter sent in May and have also called the number they give. On the return call I was told that my application was still under consideration, a note that I called could not be attached, and that there was no additional information that I could provide. I called again on Thursday the 22nd to see if my letter had actually been received by the person who wrote in May, and was told I would receive a return call within three working days. It's now the sixth day.

My advice would be to keep trying, and maybe something will happen. But be aware that the Visa and Immigration people will misinform (either deliberate lies, policy of obfuscation, or simply lack of information), are deliberately difficult to contact, and there appears to be no rhyme or reason to their methods (people with fewer credentials than me were getting approved within three weeks in March). They seem to be tougher on Europeans than on people outside the EU.

Good luck!

Diana

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:24 am

Remember that each MP's office works in a different way, to different schedules and communicates in different ways. So, the experience of other members may not match with your own.

Also remember that MPs are not obliged to help. Most of them do, either for your votes or to create the impression of being a good constituency MP or out of a sense of duty. But there is no legal obligation for them to intervene in the matters raised by you or by anybody else.

Most (not all) MPs offices list the way that they want to be contacted on the Parliament website. Use the methods listed on the website as they are the ones preferred by their staff. Some MPs insist on receiving communication by post (snail mail) and many more (including my own constituency MP) will respond only by snail mail, even to emails. The reason for that is that parliamentary convention requires that they only deal with matters relating to constituents from their own constituencies and post is the one way of making sure that the constituents are physically located in their constituencies.

As an aside, I studied political science and one of the modules was MPs' communication with their constituents and the impact of social media. It also helped that some people in the course themselves worked in MPs' offices on a part-time or voluntary basis. Many, not all, MPs' staff are volunteers and not paid staff. Most also tend to be students, with typically the office manager or secretary being the only full-time person in the office. Hence the details in this post.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Here's one way to find & contact your MP:
https://www.writetothem.com/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.