ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for my first british passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CampbellE
Newly Registered

Applying for my first british passport

Post by CampbellE » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I have just applied for my British passport and have been sent a letter saying that i cant apply for it because my expired Romanian passport is still in my maiden name. The passport office recomended canceling my passport or anulling my Romanian citizenship. But when i try to get information on how to cancel it i get no where. Is there any one on here who knows how i can do this in the UK as its stressing me out.

Thanks in Advance

Eniko Campbell

noajthan

Re: Applying for my first british passport

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:48 pm

CampbellE wrote:I have just applied for my British passport and have been sent a letter saying that i cant apply for it because my expired Romanian passport is still in my maiden name. The passport office recomended canceling my passport or anulling my Romanian citizenship. But when i try to get information on how to cancel it i get no where. Is there any one on here who knows how i can do this in the UK as its stressing me out.

Thanks in Advance

Eniko Campbell
You are not alone with such a problem.
You will have to ask your embassy if they can (& will) cancel that passport for you.

Giving up your Romanian citizenship is obviously a big step & you may not wish to do that;
(after all, why should you).

Suggest you may get some ideas from here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... n#p1196883

You will see some people have had success by explaining to HMPO that their original passport cannot be changed (due to their country's laws);
in some cases they have successfully requested that an 'observation' (about maiden name) be added to the British passport (issued in married name).

Your mileage may vary.
Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.