ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

english language requirement, already satisfied for ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sega_sai
Newly Registered

english language requirement, already satisfied for ILR

Post by sega_sai » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:24 am

Hi,

Despite re-reading the Guide/Booklet on Naturalization (as well as this forum), I still can't convince myself that I'm understanding things correctly.
Last year, I've applied for and received the ILR (after 5yrs of T2), while having the IELTS certificate from August last year (9.0/9.0 score). The test was passed in one of official IELTS test locations in Peterborough, however this particular center is not in the current Home office certified list.

Now I plan to apply for the citizenship in the end of November (i.e. after the end of transitional period w.r.t. to the language). So the question is, can I indeed safely tick the "already satisfied KOLL requirement on or after Oct 2013" in the AN form ? Or do I have to pass this *^&%$%$ test again ?

The guidance is not really making things clear, as it says
that "From 12 November 2015, we will only accept English language qualifications from
the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications."
and that they accept
EITHER "Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from
the Secure English Language Test list. You should ensure that you state the
test number at section 1.23 of the form);"
OR
"confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement"
But the list of accepted tests https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf says that all those tests are valid ONLY from april 2015. So I don't see how you technically could satisfy the KOLL requirements starting from Oct 2013, if you apply the current rules on allowed language tests and test centers ( that only cover the period after april 2015).

I would really appreciate any help here.

sega_sai

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Re: english language requirement, already satisfied for ILR

Post by chocolateorange88 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:01 am

Your IELTS qualification can only be used until 12th November.
At present there is a ' transitional list' which covers people who took their exam before April 2015 and can only be used up until 12th November.....and there's a list of approved providers which can only be provided by Trinity College or SELT which is for those who took their exam AFTER 6th April 2015.

Since you're applying after 12th November you will need to do a new language test.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 am

You don't need to do this test again as u have already demonstrated English ability in your ILR. The other person is giving u wrong advise. That transitional period applies only on immigration application not on naturalisation.
My IELTS is even expired and I m using it for naturalisation next month.
Plz read this para

Anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5 April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5 November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the transitional approved tests list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

Thnx :mrgreen:
*The gravity*

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:38 am

fbutt50 wrote:You don't need to do this test again as u have already demonstrated English ability in your ILR. The other person is giving u wrong advise. That transitional period applies only on immigration application not on naturalisation.
My IELTS is even expired and I m using it for naturalisation next month.
Plz read this para

Anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5 April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5 November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the transitional approved tests list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

Thnx :mrgreen:

This transitional end date changed to 12th November
and the OP stated they were going for naturalisation at the END of November so won't be able to use their certificate after the 12th Nov.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:48 am

Plz pay attention to my point
It only applies to UK immigration applications not to naturalisation applications.
Thnx
*The gravity*

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 am

Please refer to page 14 of the AN guidance notes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf

The AN form should change around about the same time which mostly likely won't give you any option but Trinity College or SELT

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by david1955 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:02 am

chocolateorange88 wrote:Please refer to page 14 of the AN guidance notes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf

The AN form should change around about the same time which mostly likely won't give you any option but Trinity College or SELT
Page 14 of above guidance clearly indicates you can satisfy the english language requirement by ticking

confirmation that you met
the English language
requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013
, in order to obtain settlement

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12 am

Yap. It clearly says so u don't need to repeat test.
Thnx
*The gravity*

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:32 am

I send an email to HO regarding this matter and received the written below answer . Hope that helps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
Knowledge of Language Requirement – Naturalisation
Me to Settlement Ops Policy MailboxSent

Dear Sir / Madam,

Most respectfully, I shall be much oblige if you be kind enough to answer my query regarding Knowledge of Language requirement for Naturalisation as British Citizen.

IELTS – 6.5 Bands
I had attained English language qualification IELTS (6.5 Bands – in all four modules) in June last year 2014 to meet the requirement of KOL for my ILR application.

I gained ILR successfully in December 2014; means my IELTS qualification was acceptable and fulfilled the requirements of Knowledge Of Language.

Now after spending a year on ILR I am planning to apply British Citizenship (Naturalisation) in this year December 2015

My question is can I use my same qualification IELTS (6.5 Bands – in all four modules) for the purpose of Naturalisation as British citizenship application?

Details:

Test: International English Language Testing System]
Test Date: 21 June 2014
Test Result: 6.5 Bands (in all four modules)
Test Centre: Glasgow Caledonian University

Many thanks
Your sincerely,
Xyz

Knowledge Of Life Policy Queries to You + 1 more
Dear Sir,

As you have evidenced that you have met the requirements for your English language after October 2013, then you do not need to send this evidence again when applying for naturalisation.

You should tick this box on the application form
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

Kind regards

Gemma Parle
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office

This email was scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems, please call your organisations IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.
This email and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error please return it to the address
it came from telling them it is not for you and then delete it from your system.
This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.
N/A

sega_sai
Newly Registered

Post by sega_sai » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:53 am

Thanks everyone, in particular Tier 4. The answer by the Home office really does put my mind to rest.