ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK post naturalisation but before passport received

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wiltshire

Entering UK post naturalisation but before passport received

Post by wiltshire » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi,

Have received my citizenship granted letter, so now time to apply for the ceremony. I have a trip coming up in early Dec, so don't think I'll have my UK passport by then. Currently have NZ. Should I hold off applying for citizenship until after I get back in early Jan? Letter was dated 23 Oct, so I believe that gives me until 23 Jan to apply for citizenship?

Can I sit my ceremony now, before my trip, and on return enter the UK using my NZ passport (& naturalisation certificate?)? Will there be any issues?

Thanks!

lijogrg444

Re: Entering UK post naturalisation but before passport rece

Post by lijogrg444 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Yes you can enter UK . Keep the naturalisation certificate in handy

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:56 pm

wiltshire wrote:Hi,

Have received my citizenship granted letter, so now time to apply for the ceremony. I have a trip coming up in early Dec, so don't think I'll have my UK passport by then. Currently have NZ. Should I hold off applying for citizenship until after I get back in early Jan? Letter was dated 23 Oct, so I believe that gives me until 23 Jan to apply for citizenship?

Can I sit my ceremony now, before my trip, and on return enter the UK using my NZ passport (& naturalisation certificate?)? Will there be any issues?

Thanks!
The bit I have highlighted in your text, do you mean 'passport' rather than 'citizenship'?

You can attend the ceremony before you travel. Use your NZ passport and ILR BRP card to re-enter the UK but carry your naturalisation certificate with you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wiltshire

Post by wiltshire » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:00 pm

CR001 wrote:
wiltshire wrote:Hi,

Thanks!
The bit I have highlighted in your text, do you mean 'passport' rather than 'citizenship'?

You can attend the ceremony before you travel. Use your NZ passport and ILR BRP card to re-enter the UK but carry your naturalisation certificate with you.
Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Sorry was poor wording, should have read "citizenship ceremony" rather than outright "citizenship". I've only received the invitation to become a citizen today (dated Oct 23). My local council says I have to attend the citizenship ceremony within 3 months of the date of the letter. So that gives me up to 23 Jan to sit the citizenship ceremony, after which I can think about applying for a passport. But based on the above, I'm going to book before my trip and take your advice with the ILR BRP + naturalisation certificate.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:01 pm

You should be fine then, but definitely do your ceremony before you travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.