ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting divorce please advise

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jango
Newly Registered

Getting divorce please advise

Post by jango » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:22 pm

after 4 years of marriage we come to the point that its not gonna work out. We don't have any property but i have some savings. Do i have to divide it in 2 when getting divorce?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:02 am

What does this have to do with UK immigration?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Getting divorce please advise

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:09 pm

jango wrote:after 4 years of marriage we come to the point that its not gonna work out. We don't have any property but i have some savings. Do i have to divide it in 2 when getting divorce?
Three ways, don't forget the Solicitor!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jango
Newly Registered

Post by jango » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:07 pm

how much does a Solicitor cost? what is i prove i had my saving before marriage?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Re: Getting divorce please advise

Post by Docterror » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Wanderer wrote:
jango wrote:after 4 years of marriage we come to the point that its not gonna work out. We don't have any property but i have some savings. Do i have to divide it in 2 when getting divorce?
Three ways, don't forget the Solicitor!
:lol:
Jabi

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:36 pm

jango wrote:how much does a Solicitor cost? what is i prove i had my saving before marriage?
Mine cost over 2k and in the end I gave up and did it myself.

When u enter marriage mate it's share and share alike more often than not so I'd forget trying to hang onto what you think is rightfully yours. She could argue she saved you that amount of money and on and on the song rolls on and you are caught up.

Meanwhile the Solicitors on both sides are rubbing their collective hands at 175 quid an hour sending pointless letters to each other 'on your behalf' questioning points of law on your dollar.

I never saw a poor Solicitor, only a poor Solicitor's client.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:01 am

If it is a simple matter which you can resolve amicably then you may not need a solicitor, or you could do for about £100 with a solicitor filing papers for you. But this depends on the amount of your savings. Many solicitors will give free consultations initially, it is worth having one.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:04 am

Wanderer wrote:
I never saw a poor Solicitor, only a poor Solicitor's client.....
You've not looked hard, then - some areas of law are pretty poorly paid, such as family, crime, immigration, etc.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:38 am

Does that mean professionals practicing in those 'poorly' paid areas really got to try hard to get some wealthy clients to increase their margins ? :D
avjones wrote:
You've not looked hard, then - some areas of law are pretty poorly paid, such as family, crime, immigration, etc.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:16 pm

No - most solicitors are salaried, not partners, AIUI.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.