ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA just started working, how to prove self employment

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

minttie
China

EEA just started working, how to prove self employment

Post by minttie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:04 pm

My husband started working as self-employed in August 2015. He already registered with HRMC and received UTR number. On HRMC self assessment page, we can only find tax return for tax year April 2014-April 2015, in which he didn't work or receive any salary in UK. There is no place for us to fill in the tax return for tax year 2015-2016. How can we pay the income tax and national insurance for the months he has worked from this August and get the proofs Home Office askes for? My current visa expires in January 2016.

Working status:
- muti-drop delivery
- having a contract with company A who distributes Amazon goods
- getting paid from the company bi-weekly
- renting a van for working, affording the cost of the van himself, thus self-employed
- paying the diesel fee himself

The proofs we can provide:
- letter from HRMC of self-employment registration
- letter from HRMC of unique taxpayer reference number
- business bank statement with regular money in monthly
- invoices bi-weekly
- contract with the company
- van renting fee payment receipts
- diesel fee payment receipts

I'm trying to contact both Home Office and HRMC. Anyone has been in the similar situation and can offer help? Thx!

minttie
China

Re: EEA just started working, how to prove self employment

Post by minttie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:39 pm

HMRC...sorry

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Tax and NI for the self employed first payment on account is 31st Jan 2016.

His accountant should be handling this.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

minttie
China

Post by minttie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Yes I read about the 'first payment on account' thing. 31/01/2016 is the deadline right? So i still have time; my current visa expires on 26/01/2016.

Does hiring an accountant help? Currently we don't have one. His accounts are quite straight forward. Just montly salary and expenses.
Wanderer wrote:Tax and NI for the self employed first payment on account is 31st Jan 2016.
thank you so much!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:25 pm

minttie wrote:Yes I read about the 'first payment on account' thing. 31/01/2016 is the deadline right? So i still have time; my current visa expires on 26/01/2016.

Does hiring an accountant help? Currently we don't have one. His accounts are quite straight forward. Just montly salary and expenses.
Wanderer wrote:Tax and NI for the self employed first payment on account is 31st Jan 2016.
thank you so much!
A good accountant will save you more than he costs!

minttie
China

Post by minttie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

thx :)

minttie
China

Post by minttie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Finally got through HMRC hotline after 15 min waiting.

Since my husband has no previous tax payment, he isn't required to do the payments on account thing twice a year. The amount of each of the payment on account would be 50% of last year tax payment.

However, he is able to pay some money into the tax account. After paying, HMRC would't send any document to prove that he has paid - they don't even make a difference of tax and NI for the money paid. It's just a credit amount in the account. The operator said my husband can print the payment record out himself, which makes me worried because HO usually don't accept self printed document.

I think it's safer to pay some money right now and print the record and write a cover letter to explain the situation.

I guess besides the accountant letter, accountants can hardly provide any extra help before January 2016 because there's no need to do a tax return until April 2016. But anyway I'm going to contact one of them, see if i can get like an hour free consulting.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 pm

minttie wrote:Finally got through HMRC hotline after 15 min waiting.

Since my husband has no previous tax payment, he isn't required to do the payments on account thing twice a year. The amount of each of the payment on account would be 50% of last year tax payment.

However, he is able to pay some money into the tax account. After paying, HMRC would't send any document to prove that he has paid - they don't even make a difference of tax and NI for the money paid. It's just a credit amount in the account. The operator said my husband can print the payment record out himself, which makes me worried because HO usually don't accept self printed document.

I think it's safer to pay some money right now and print the record and write a cover letter to explain the situation.

I guess besides the accountant letter, accountants can hardly provide any extra help before January 2016 because there's no need to do a tax return until April 2016. But anyway I'm going to contact one of them, see if i can get like an hour free consulting.
I wouldn't rely on the helpline, they are clueless.

minttie
China

Post by minttie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Using the HMRC helpdesk, got answer as below

The tax return for 2015/16 won't be available online until 06/04/2016. You can set up a budget payment plan for a future tax liability by following the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/pay-self-assessment- ... yment-plan

Hope can help people with similar situations like mine

minttie
China

Post by minttie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41 pm

I just called the HMRC payment centre 0300 200 3401 to make sure that I can get the receipt of budget payment plan.

The lady said they wouldn't issue any letter automatically but I can phone them to request one and it takes 7-10 working days to issue a letter that proves the money I paid through budget payment plan has been received by HMRC.

This is good:)