ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lagos1980
Newly Registered

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by lagos1980 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:43 pm

jon365 wrote:An update.

After my post on Thursday I received an email, in response to an email I sent 6 weeks before, saying a decision had been made and a letter was in the post. Today I received our documents back and a letter saying our application had been successful. It said the certificate will follow within 2 weeks. I think contacting our MP has had an effect so I would encourage people to do that if they can. I sympathise with those oversees who cannot.

Anyway, my thoughts are with everyone still waiting and I sincerely hope you all receive some good news soon.

Good luck and all the best.

Congratulation Jon! Let's hope Padhme hears good news soon too. It'll give me even more hope. Don't feel I can contact my MP yet till I get to my 6 month mark.

uk_applicant
Newly Registered

Post by uk_applicant » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi there Guys

I have been watching the forum ever since it started and just decided to sign up.

I've submitted my form 2 weeks ago and they have taken out £80 from my account.

Just wanted to know - where has all the 6month minimum wait period has come from? - cant seem to find it on the UKF Guide form.

Please advise

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm

uk_applicant wrote:Hi there Guys

I have been watching the forum ever since it started and just decided to sign up.

I've submitted my form 2 weeks ago and they have taken out £80 from my account.

Just wanted to know - where has all the 6month minimum wait period has come from? - cant seem to find it on the UKF Guide form.

Please advise
On all citizenship paperwork the UK government says "Applications are considered quickly – usually within six months of receipt." They generally won't answer the phone or emails with any information regarding your application until the 6 months have passed. I believe on this forum only one person has received their approval about a week over their 6 month period. The rest of us are still waiting, and a few have received letters apologizing for not being able to conclude their application process in the 6 month period. Hopefully the number of you applying recently won't have to wait as long as all of us early birds.
Antsmall wrote: I'd be interested to know if other citizenship routes are experiencing similar delays.
. On the April and March naturalization pages it seems almost all of the people are going over 6 months. Many received their approval letters dated about 2 days before the 6 month period. Though it does seem people in the UK who can contact their MPs are seeing much more progress than we can hope for abroad.

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:10 pm

anahamilton wrote:To all who have already received the biometrics letter: I have a friend in UK who is not in this forum who received her biometrics letter this week - it stated that they had already sent a previous biometrics letter, which she never received, and that they are giving her another 30 days to do the biometrics which she will do, of course. Nevertheless, she is worried that her documents might have been lost if they were sent back with the first biometrics letter - never received.

So, the question is: do they send the documents with the biometrics letter?

Meanwhile, nothing new for me.
AnaHamilton, I read you were the only in Brazil in this situation.. well, now you have a mate, hehe. I am also from Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), but haven't applied yet, because I will need my passport to a trip in Dec.

I sent an e-mail to the British Consulate in Rio and nationalityenquiries, but probably I will never get an answer.

Do you mind answering some questions about the former? For example, "address of tax office" - did you filled this field with Receita Federal address? I am afraid they can't communicate with Receita Federal to obtain our taxes information.

I wish Consulate could guide us in the subject, but it is impossible to reach them. =(

Cheers!

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:27 pm

guys,

about referees, as I live in Brazil I don't know a British Citizen to be my referee. In this situation, the UKF Guide says: a citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has professional standing in that country, has known you for three years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.

Well, have 3 questions: do i need documents to prove the professional standing of my referee? which Consul has to consider the signature - do I need to check in UK Consulate in my area?
And do they call the referees (I am not sure about my referee English skills)?

does anyone have the same problem?

Cheers!

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:45 am

And as usual, the drama continues. I just got a letter from the HO dated on my 6 month mark (last week) saying they had hoped biometric facilities would be open in the US by October, but they were wrong. They say they will send me an update in January (9 months from my application date), unless my case is urgent, in which case they will try and work with me to do biometrics in another country (at my expense of course). So it looks like tomorrow I'm looking to see if I can get to Canada for little money on short notice.
This is the email they told me to contact to arrange for international registering, so if anyone else in the US is fed up too I recommend you contact them because otherwise we're looking at next year: nationalitybiometricsoverseas@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 am

Thanks for the info. Although - how can we go abroad when THEY have our passports? Was there any mention of how we might get our passports back without wasting yet more months of our lives?

I'm getting exceedingly cheesed off with these creatures.

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:24 am

Antsmall wrote:Thanks for the info. Although - how can we go abroad when THEY have our passports? Was there any mention of how we might get our passports back without wasting yet more months of our lives?

I'm getting exceedingly cheesed off with these creatures.
I know, right?! Last week I finally got my passport back after I filed 3 times to have it returned as I need to travel for work next month (https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach) Im expecting them to try and ask for it back after biometrics because God forbid they actually made copies during the 6 months they had it. Only time I will tell I suppose

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 pm

guys, just something else: do people who aren't native in English have to prove knowledge of the language during the UKF procedure?

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Not as far as I know. The crucial parameter is parentage - blood relation, descent - rather than linguistic proficiency. The tests are for people who have to naturalise (e.g. request nationality on the basis of residence in Britain, marriage etc) as far as I'm aware, but not for the children of British people, such as ourselves.

anahamilton
Newly Registered

Post by anahamilton » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:23 am

bright_star wrote:
AnaHamilton, I read you were the only in Brazil in this situation.. well, now you have a mate, hehe. I am also from Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), but haven't applied yet, because I will need my passport to a trip in Dec.

I sent an e-mail to the British Consulate in Rio and nationalityenquiries, but probably I will never get an answer.

Do you mind answering some questions about the former? For example, "address of tax office" - did you filled this field with Receita Federal address? I am afraid they can't communicate with Receita Federal to obtain our taxes information.

I wish Consulate could guide us in the subject, but it is impossible to reach them. =(

Cheers!
Happy to hear I have a mate, bright_star! =D So, the address of tax office I just filled in with my CPF number, if they want they can contact Receita Federal. I don't think that will be a big problem and also believe that the Consulate knows even less than we do hehehe ^^ As for the referee, I asked a brazilian citizen I knew who is a professor and made sure he spoke English.

So sad to hear about bfrenchfry news, that is certainly disappointing.

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 am

Antsmall wrote:Not as far as I know. The crucial parameter is parentage - blood relation, descent - rather than linguistic proficiency. The tests are for people who have to naturalise (e.g. request nationality on the basis of residence in Britain, marriage etc) as far as I'm aware, but not for the children of British people, such as ourselves.
Great, Antsmall! It wasnt specified on UK government site.. They were just saying everyone who was trying to apply to citizenship should take the exam. But I think you are right, principally because nothing is said about it on ukf guide.
Thanks!

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:32 am

anahamilton wrote:
bright_star wrote:

Cheers!
Happy to hear I have a mate, bright_star! =D So, the address of tax office I just filled in with my CPF number, if they want they can contact Receita Federal. I don't think that will be a big problem and also believe that the Consulate knows even less than we do hehehe ^^ As for the referee, I asked a brazilian citizen I knew who is a professor and made sure he spoke English.

So sad to hear about bfrenchfry news, that is certainly disappointing.
Ohh great, so will do the same in tax field. Can't wait to apply haha will do as soon I am back in Jan.

Hope everything goes well for all of us.

Do you a have a British citizen as the second referee or not really? The guide says that in this situation the second referee signature should be accepted by the consul, but I'm not sure about which consul is this.

Yes, consulate answered me I should call UK haha..

Really glad there is someone else in same situation here in Rio. I am l looking forward to hearing about your updates.

Have u used a specific service from Correios? I mean, a safer service? I am afraid because of my passport.

Cheers!

JJL
Newly Registered

Post by JJL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 am

An update from South Africa.

My application arrived at the Home Office on 20 September.
£80 deducted on 25 September.
Documents and biometrics letter sent back to South Africa via registered post on 07 October and received on 26 October.
Biometrics appointment set up for 06 November 2015.

Hopefully this gives some comfort to overseas applicants that the process can actually be quite speedy.

Good luck to all!!

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 am

JJL,

Wow really good news! Glad about it!

JJL
Newly Registered

Post by JJL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you Bright_Star. All the best for your application. It does seem that the Home Office is familiar with these applications now so everything seems to be running far smoother. I will let you know on any further progress. Also it is not a requirement to have a British citizen as a referee. I was lucky enough to have an attorney who is a british citizen sign as referee but I know the form does say that the main requirement is that the person is a professional who has known you for more than 3 years.

Good luck all and my sincerest apologies to all the American chaps struggling to enrol their biometrics.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:50 pm

Well, I've now also received what I presume is the same letter as bfrenchfry's. It states that they wrote to me in August explaining the delay in 'implementing' the biometric infrastructures in the USA (which is funny because they didn't contact me in August at all, unless the communication didn't reach me somehow) and continues that though they had hoped that these issues would have been resolved by October, this is not the case and I shall be contacted again by January. There is no indication of whether this contact by January will refer to any progress in my case or will merely be a restatement of the reasons why I have to keep waiting. I imagine that I'll receive another letter asking me to wait.

I've also been told, quite comically really, that I am free to go to Canada or Mexico at my own expense to have the biometrics done. What they are apparently forgetting here is that THEY. HAVE. MY PASSPORT. And judging by bfrenchfry's ordeal trying to retrieve their passport (three official applications ignored etc), it's not as if they make this quick and easy. Good job that we're immortal, so we don't mind wasting a few months or years of our lives because of someone else's inability to do their job! (If I had manifested a similar level of competency in my job, I'd have been fired long ago).

I applied in May, by the way. And they took two months even to take my ceremony fee.

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:32 pm

guys, i am facing problems here in Brazil to send my original passport to UK using the mail service. They say it is forbidden to send it, otherwise Federal Police and Federal Revenue (!!!) will intercept this.

has someone experienced something similar?

which service have you used to safely send your original documents to the uk?

do we need to send the original passport, right?

called Federal Police and they said i should send a copy!!! =( =( =(

it is so frustrating.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:39 pm

I used FedEx because I happen to live in America at the moment. Some people use DHL or UPS. Yes, they are more expensive but also safer because even registered (or whatever) post is often ineffective internationally because once the parcel goes into a foreign country it is passed on to the local postal service of that country, which means that the tracking systems which are set up in the original country won't necessarily work and the parcel will be no safer than it would have been when sent by normal post. Or so I'm told. Whereas with these couriers (FedEx etc) the parcel remains in the same system throughout the journey. I do not know if Brazilian authorities will check its contents and confiscate any passports, but you may wish to make enquiries into the matter.

Also I sent a Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed envelope (which I'd got a friend in Britain to send me) with my application so that my documents can be returned safely (if they ever do return them - it's been six months and still nothing).

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:23 pm

Antsmall wrote:I used FedEx because I happen to live in America at the moment. Some people use DHL or UPS. Yes, they are more expensive but also safer because even registered (or whatever) post is often ineffective internationally because once the parcel goes into a foreign country it is passed on to the local postal service of that country, which means that the tracking systems which are set up in the original country won't necessarily work and the parcel will be no safer than it would have been when sent by normal post. Or so I'm told. Whereas with these couriers (FedEx etc) the parcel remains in the same system throughout the journey. I do not know if Brazilian authorities will check its contents and confiscate any passports, but you may wish to make enquiries into the matter.

Also I sent a Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed envelope (which I'd got a friend in Britain to send me) with my application so that my documents can be returned safely (if they ever do return them - it's been six months and still nothing).
Thanks for your answer, Antsmall. Sent enquiries to Brazilian authorities, but they are totally lost. The mail service says the Federal Revenue confiscates passports, Federal Revenue says they don't confiscate anything haha. So I decided I will just use DHL service, as they said it is possible to send passports and their service seemed safer, principally after your reply. Thanks a lot"

ohhh and about your documents and passport, I really hope you have good news about them soon. Good luck!!

Ceelocsta
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ceelocsta » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:08 am

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this and i was wondering had anyone got their citizenship yet since April 6 ?

I sent mine off days ago which was received Nov 6th which is
Still quite away from acknowledged date.

I'm from the UK, so what waiting times I'm I expecting ?

paul29
Newly Registered

Post by paul29 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Today I received my daughter's certificate of British Citizenship courtesy of UKF and it is a great feeling!

Took just over a couple of weeks to get to me here in Thailand, but the certificate is dated around end of October, which was give or take a couple of days, more or less exactly 6 months after the form was received at the Home Office.

No MP involved.

I hope that everybody with a pending application receives similarly great news in the near future and wish each of you you all the best when you finally become Citizens.

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 pm

paul29 wrote:Today I received my daughter's certificate of British Citizenship courtesy of UKF and it is a great feeling!

Took just over a couple of weeks to get to me here in Thailand, but the certificate is dated around end of October, which was give or take a couple of days, more or less exactly 6 months after the form was received at the Home Office.

No MP involved.

I hope that everybody with a pending application receives similarly great news in the near future and wish each of you you all the best when you finally become Citizens.
Congrats!!! I think you're officially the first UKF approval! I know you were only a few days before me, but since I'm stuck in the US with no biometric centers I'm sure I'm looking at a much longer wait. Can't wait until I can celebrate like you. Congrats again to you and your daughter!

Ceelocsta
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ceelocsta » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:11 pm

paul29 wrote:Today I received my daughter's certificate of British Citizenship courtesy of UKF and it is a great feeling!

No MP involved.

Congratz to you fella, looks like I'm in for a long wait

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 am

No MP involved.

waoooo, congrats paul29, your victory is our hope