ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

allowed to work with EEA Family Permit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

robsters
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

allowed to work with EEA Family Permit?

Post by robsters » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:45 pm

can anyone tell me if the EEA Family permit gives my wife the allowance to work in the uk? she got her NI number and we sent off her EEA2 Residence application least 3 weeks ago but not got any COA as of yet she been offered a job for christmas in a card shop but they want to see her passport even though we given a photo copy of the visa and passport, can anyone tell me if she allowed to work or is it best to wait for the COA from the UK Home office

secret.simon

Re: allowed to work with EEA Family Permit?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:19 pm

I am not entirely certain, but I believe that the Family Permit is the equivalent of a visit visa that does not permit work, while the Residence Card does permit work.

However, EEA law is complex in that certain rights exist in spite of a lack of paperwork. I would wait for others to comment before taking it further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

robsters
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by robsters » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:51 am

thank you, and yeah i wait for more comments, we sent eea2 application off 2 weeks ago does anyone know how long until we get COA back?

capetonian101
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by capetonian101 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:26 pm

You can request you passports back from them.
She is able to work with the family permit.She have the same rights as you here.

adedayoh

Post by adedayoh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:44 pm

She has the same right as you but proving those rights will be difficult. No one will employ her without a valid work visa. My husband has the family permit too but he can't work.

Family permit doesn't confer a right to work. You have to wait for the COA then she can work. You should recieve that shortly.

capetonian101
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by capetonian101 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:00 pm

My employer did the check on the HO website to see if im entitle work and it showed that I can.Im in the middle of my EEA2 permit app.MY EEA1 has expired the 18th of last month and didn't had any issues.
Iv only received my COA saterday(31/10/1015) and have been working the whole time.
It depends on you employer i would say.
On the family permit(or the one in my passport) there is nothing written about not being able to start employment.

robsters
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by robsters » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:12 pm

yeah job want the COA said they let her do the 2 week trail but after that they need COA, how quickly do they come through it was 2 weeks since we sent the application off

kunfayakun
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by kunfayakun » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Yeah she has the same right as you have and she can work with the family permit if she already have the NI number
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

adedayoh

Post by adedayoh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Am not being funny but good luck with getting NI on family permit. No employer is going to risk getting 10k fine for employing a person without validating their documents. The conservatives have made things so hard. A lot of big employers don't even accept COA, they are too lazy to check with HO so they will rather give the job to someone who has complete documents.

Coa usually takes about 4 weeks but I won't hold my breath either. Hopefully they will send it out before the end of her 2 week trial.

Nina Roche
China

Post by Nina Roche » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:08 pm

adedayoh wrote:She has the same right as you but proving those rights will be difficult.
Overall, I'd agree the statement.

Here is the guidance issued by Home Office: <An employer’s guide to right to work checks> and check Page 24 of Lists of acceptable documents for right to work checks https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf

In Page 24, before an non-EEA of EEA family member receives RC or PR or other sort of .., we basically fall into Group 2.
EEA Family Permit is not listed here. So according to Home Office, it does not directly confirm one's right to work. So in practice, as I see many cases in this forum, it indeed depends on your prospective employer.
In the meantime, check Group2,point 3. If prospective employer uses Home Office Employer Checking Service and get a Positive Verification Notice issued by HO, it confirms one's right to work. Often if one holds or held an EEA FP, and is in the process of RC application, before being issued a COA, employer's check is likely to get positive result. And thus , it helps to fill in the time gap.
As shown in capetonian case, he/she applied RC 1/10/2015, then his/her EEA FP expired 18/10/2015 but he/she is already in the process of RC application. His/her employer did the check and gets the positive result.

adedayoh

Post by adedayoh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for the clarification Nina

robsters
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by robsters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:51 am

thank you so the employer can just check with HO then? thing is this lady is quite keen to employ my wife as i went to speak to her today as job only temp she giving birth soon anyway, she said if i did not get COA soon then she said can i bring a copy of application form, i did make a scan copy of this , do u think that is ok? we got our biometric letter yesterday and sorted that out as well at the post office, how soon after biometric do they send the COA? i hope to god my wife gets it, she gives birth in december and EEA FP expires in February next year