ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When my wife is eligible for ILR

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ref786

When my wife is eligible for ILR

Post by ref786 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:55 am

Hi There,

I will really appreciate if someone can answer my query. I explain about my immigration status first so that you have better understanding. I became UK citizen 4 months ago through Tier 1(general) channel. I brought by wife to the UK in August 2013 and at the time I had Tier 1 general. I know under this situation she will be eligible for ILR after 5yrs but some of my friends are saying she can even apply for ILR after 3 yrs as I am now British citizen. I am not sure that 3 years period of time starts from the point I gained British citizenship or from the point when my wife came to the UK (August 2013). Can anybody clear up my doubts please?

Many Thanks,
Ref

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When my wife is eligible for ILR

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 am

To qualify for British Citizenship, your wife has to have ILR. She can only apply for ILR after 5 years residence. Immediately after she is granted ILR, she can apply for citizenship and will NOT have to wait 12 months with ILR first.

As she came to the UK after July 2012, there is only the 5 year route to ILR. There is no quicker route or shortcut.

Before July 2012, dependents could apply for ILR after 2 years residence and then after 1 year ILR, for citizenship so this is where the 3 years as spouse of BC comes in.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 am

Your friends are confusing this with British citizenship, where the spouse of a BC will qualify after 3 years of legal residence. However, the catch is that ILR must be granted first...and it is still a 5 year path to ILR.

Edit: Pipped at the post again by CR001 :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ref786

Post by ref786 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks for replies :)