ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

malhoto
Newly Registered

spouse visa

Post by malhoto » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:02 am

Hi there,

I came in UK in nov 2003 on Work permit. I switched to spouse visa in sep 2005. My wife is having mental health problems and we are going through divorce.My spouse visa is going to end in sep 2008 but my work permit is valid till march 2009. I had to switch to spouse visa due to conflicts with employer but later on those conflicts got fixed.

Pls Guide how do i get towards extending my stay.

regards,
Opinder.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Hm, strange scenario, difficult to say what are your chances without a more detailed chronology, but the Rules say this:
"Requirements for an extension of stay for work permit employment
131. The requirements for an extension of stay to seek or take employment (unless the applicant is otherwise eligible for an extension of stay for employment under these Rules) are that the applicant:

(i) entered the United Kingdom with a valid work permit under paragraph 129; and

(ii) has written approval from the Home Office for the continuation of his employment;"
= plus the conditions which apply to getting a work permit visa in the first place
At face value, unless you applied for your spouse visa abroad, your original entry to the UK as a work permit holder should avail you, but if you travelled abroad and entered the UK with continuing leave as a spouse, they might say you don't qualify.
Would it be a huge problem for you to return to your own country and get the right Entry Clearance? That's the safest way.

What you have done is delayed your qualification for ILR, as the 5-year clock will start again from the grant of LTR or EC. Although you currently have LTR until September 2008, in this case you're probably better to get your status sorted sooner rather than later.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:35 pm

I think you are going to have to get a new work permit. The old one is no longer valid.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!