ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling after getting citizenship certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ali_Raza_2244

Travelling after getting citizenship certificate

Post by Ali_Raza_2244 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi,

I received my citizenship certificate last week and have an urgent travel commitment so planning to apply for the passport after my return. Can I travel using my existing ilr (BRP) ?

vinny

Re: Travelling after getting citizenship certificate

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:00 am

If they don't know that you are British, then they would treat you as a returning resident. Else, your BRP is invalid. But they cannot refuse a British citizen entry.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 am

Ali_Raza_2244 wrote:Hi,

I received my citizenship certificate last week and have an urgent travel commitment so planning to apply for the passport after my return. Can I travel using my existing ilr (BRP) ?
If you leave too many days (stay out of the UK for too long) before you return you may find your biometrics have been removed from the system (due to the law) and you may have some explaining to do at the port of entry, however, you will be able to enter the UK no question about that.

I have many friends who have travelled in a similar situation and never had any issues. You will be surprised how many people don't bother getting passports for a considerable time after citizenship

Ali_Raza_2244

Post by Ali_Raza_2244 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks Vinny and fielddrive.

I got my certificate on 16th Oct and flew to US on 28th Oct and will be coming back to the UK on Monday 9th November, ill use my ilr biometric and existing passport hoping it will be ok at the port

Regards
Ali

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:34 am

And carry your naturalisation certificate with you as well.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sswb2
Newly Registered

Post by Sswb2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:57 am

Hi all,

This is the most recent discussion I could find on this topic, and just want to confirm that there are no changes to any immigration laws which would prevent me entering the UK with my foreign passport, ILR card (old) and Naturalisation Certificate.

I have tried contacting UKVI, but can't get through their automated system to speak to an actual person, and have no response to my email query.

I have my Citizenship Ceremony scheduled for 19/01/2016 and will be travelling on 12/02/2016. I don't believe I will get my British Passport in time.

Regards,
sswb2

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:03 am

Yes there has been a recent and significant change. You are now required to return your BRP within 5 days of the citizenship ceremony, or face a £1,000 fine. The airline is likely to deny you boarding.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Sswb2
Newly Registered

Post by Sswb2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks for the quick response. That is not good news at all.

It would seem I'm best off postponing my ceremony until I return from the trip. I travel for work very often, and this is going to cause a big headache.

Are you aware of any other options that I may have? Applying for ROA takes 6 months, so that is not an option for me.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:31 am

Passport applications are currently taking around 2 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sswb2
Newly Registered

Post by Sswb2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks CR001. Are these for First Time applications? It might be worth trying to get my application in on 19/01 then!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:39 am

Sswb2 wrote:Thanks CR001. Are these for First Time applications? It might be worth trying to get my application in on 19/01 then!
Yes, it is the only type I would be referring to. This is based on the timelines posted by forum members.
Char (CR001 not Casa)