ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Validity of Naturalized Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ra_one_2011

Validity of Naturalized Certificate

Post by ra_one_2011 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Hello,
I hope some would be able to answer my question here,
I have recently acquire British Naturalized Certificate, but I don't enough time to apply for British Passport as I am travelling to USA next Month and I can't risk to send out my Indian passport for my application.
My question is
1. Is Naturalized Certificate valid for at least couple of months so that I can apply for british passport on my return to UK?
2. I am aware that indian Government gives three months of Grace Period to travel on Indian Passport after you take an oath, my question is can I travel to USA on my indian passport as I got valid B1/B2 visa on it.
Many thanks in Advance.
Ra_one_2011

t123456789

Re: Validity of Naturalized Certificate

Post by t123456789 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm

1. It is valid forever, don't lose it. Or unless the government revokes your citizenship (unless you're a terrorist, this is never going to happen).

2. Yes, as long as your visa and passport are still valid.

Make a copy, or take a photo of your certificate. Take it with, when you come back to the UK, tell the ECO you're a UK citizen, give him your Indian passport and certificate. You will still need your BRP in order to board the plane in the US to come back to the UK, they won't accept your naturalisation certificate for boarding in the US.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:00 pm

And whatever you do or travel, DO NOT laminate your certificate. It will render it useless as won't be accepted for passport application and you will have to get another certificate at a cost.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Yash001

Post by Yash001 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:47 am

In line of this query,I have a query to ask as I am on a very similar situation. While travelling on Indian passport post naturalisation, what should I mention my citizenship which we need to fill in immigration forms while landing? I believe it should be British as I will be naturalised by then even though I am travelling on Indian passport. Appreciate if you could please help me with this query.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:25 am

Edit: In the UK you don't need to fill in the landing form any more if you're British.

In the UK? British.

Yash001

Post by Yash001 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 pm

t123456789 wrote:Edit: In the UK you don't need to fill in the landing form any more if you're British.

In the UK? British.
Sorry u didn't understood my question ..if I travel on Indian passport after naturalisation what should I quote my nationality in the landing form which I need to fill while landing in India?

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Indian. Otherwise they're going to look for a visa. Remember there are a bunch of rules for travelling on an Indian passport after taking up a different citizenship. If you are in within 90 days you're OK. After that, you're still OK for a bit, but will have to pay a fine or something.