ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quick Schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

scoobydoolondon

Quick Schengen visa

Post by scoobydoolondon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm a British passport holder since birth and wife is a Pakistani passport holder on her first Spouse visa (14 months into the 30 month visa)

We're looking to go to Europe for around 7 or 8 days max, starting this weekend. Preference is Switzerland, Spain, Italy and France (in that order)

I don't mind paying an agency to apply for my wife's Schengen visa as time is short but which country would be able to give the Schengen visa in quick time and typically how long would it take?

Its short notice as I may be able to take a week off work but won't know until later on today.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Quick Schengen visa

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Very unlikely that any agents/consulates will be able to turnaround an application within a few days.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Processing time usually takes 10 to 15 days. The only time that they can be processed urgently is on compassionate grounds, i.e. death of family etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Ok, so there's no quick way to get a Schengen visa - gotcha.

Think I'll book something for over xmas instead.

Btw, of the countries mentioned - which country is easiest to process and more likely to give a longer visa? Prefer at least a 6 month visa which means we can go for the odd weekend whenever we felt like it.

thanks

PS this will be my wife's first Schengen visa application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Unlikely she will get a longer term visa that a single visit duration. You need to apply for the country where you are either arriving first or staying the longest, that is how it works generally.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks CR001.

I realise that, and as we have several countries we wish to visit in Europe, we're happy to go to the country which is more likely to provide a longer stay Shengen visa.

Sometimes we have free weekends and want to travel to Europe at the lastminute - applying for Schengen visa is really off putting, hence having a longer one will be so much better.

thanks again

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:55 am

scoobydoolondon wrote:travel to Europe at the lastminute
Irrespective of the visa situation, a bad idea. I have always found that if I did a last minute trip, the stuff that I wanted to see if either closed or needed booking two weeks in advance. On a trip to Paris, a whole group of people from the US in the bus agreed. They had popped over without any planning and paid a fortune for seeing what they could have seen if they had planned in advance.

<Travel talk over>

As a family member of an EU citizen, your wife should get a Schengen visa free and with an expeditied process (Article 5, Section 2 of Directive 2004/38/EC).

In theory, Directive 2004/38/EC allows your wife to travel anywhere in the EU with you with just your passport and proof of your marriage (Article 5, Section 4 of the Directive). But border guards may not be conversant with detailed aspects of EU law and there may be severe delays at the airports and border crossings. But people on these forums have done it, typically armed with copies of the Directive in multiple European languages.

So, if you are in the mood to, you can do a lastminute.com trip through Europe without a Schengen visa, but be prepared to possibly miss your flights due to the delays at the border crossings.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:37 am

I would be extremely wary of travelling without a Schengen visa. This thread where the forum member was refused boarding by Easyjet in Germany, even though they should have been permitted to travel.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 97077.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks but I certainly do not wish to travel without a Schengen visa!

I really don't fancy a holiday soiled by border disputes. I just want an easy life!!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:45 am

scoobydoolondon wrote:Thanks but I certainly do not wish to travel without a Schengen visa!

I really don't fancy a holiday soiled by border disputes. I just want an easy life!!
Very wise!
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:17 pm

Casa wrote:
scoobydoolondon wrote:Thanks but I certainly do not wish to travel without a Schengen visa!

Very wise!
+1, would be nice if more people took this stance and did not complicate their lives and travel plans :D
Char (CR001 not Casa)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 pm

scoobydoolondon wrote:as we have several countries we wish to visit in Europe, we're happy to go to the country which is more likely to provide a longer stay Shengen visa.
As others have stated its unlikely that a visa with a long validity period would be issued for a first time schengen visa application. Having said that i do know of a couple of people who were issued with a multiple entry visa valid for 3 months without any previous travel history to the schengen area. This was by the French consulate in London.