ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - unmarried partner

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anniecc

Naturalisation - unmarried partner

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:09 pm

I want to apply for naturalization on form AN. I have held ILR for two years and was previously on an unmarried partner visa.

Section 1.15 asks about my current marital status, and includes a tick box for unmarried partner (which I will select). Section 1.32 asks for 'details of your partner' but defines this as 'husband, wife or civil partner'. If I have a partner I'm not married to, should I leave this section blank?

I also have a question about photos for the referees section. Am I right in thinking the strict requirements of a passport photo do not apply (e.g. no smiling?) provided the photo is the correct size and my face is unobscured?

anniecc

Re: Naturalisation - unmarried partner

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Oops, I meant to ask one more question. My BRP was stolen earlier in the year so I had to apply for a replacement card. The card doesn't give an indication that it's a replacement, so someone looking at it would think I'd only had ILR since May 2015. Is this going to be a problem for the naturalization application? Obviously on the form I'll indicate the date I actually obtained ILR, but the BRP card won't match this date.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Have you resided in UK for the last five years?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Wanderer wrote:Have you resided in UK for the last five years?
Yes, apparently the OP has

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... ml#p996312
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Yes, I have resided in UK since 2008.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:10 pm

You don't need to include your partners details if you are not married as you qualify for naturalisation in your own right. You could the additional information on the relevant 'additional information' page if you wish to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Thank you very much. I just didn't want the application to be rejected as incomplete if I had mentioned a partner in the earlier section and not provided their details.

Any advice on my other questions re photo requirements and BRP?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:34 pm

The photos have to conform with the same standard as passport photos. The guidance is very clear.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:44 pm

CR001 wrote:The photos have to conform with the same standard as passport photos. The guidance is very clear.
Can you send me a link to the guidance you are referring to which says this? I am reading from Guide AN. Under Referees and Identity it says:
You must include a recent passport size photograph of yourself with your application. You must write your name and date of birth on the back of the photograph and this should then be glued or pasted into the space provided on the application form. The photograph must show the whole of the front of your face in reasonable light. It should not show your face wholly or partly concealed by your hair (beards, sideburns and moustaches excepted) or by a scarf or traditional dress. It should not show you wearing dark glasses or a hat, hood, cap or scarf.
That's not the same standard as a passport photo, which also has requirements around expression, colour of background etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:54 pm

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

This is the standard requirement for all UKVI/HO applications
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm

anniecc wrote:
CR001 wrote:The photos have to conform with the same standard as passport photos. The guidance is very clear.
Can you send me a link to the guidance you are referring to which says this? I am reading from Guide AN. Under Referees and Identity it says:
You must include a recent passport size photograph of yourself with your application. You must write your name and date of birth on the back of the photograph and this should then be glued or pasted into the space provided on the application form. The photograph must show the whole of the front of your face in reasonable light. It should not show your face wholly or partly concealed by your hair (beards, sideburns and moustaches excepted) or by a scarf or traditional dress. It should not show you wearing dark glasses or a hat, hood, cap or scarf.
That's not the same standard as a passport photo, which also has requirements around expression, colour of background etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Surely the specific guidance linked to application form AN overrides the general guidance you have posted? Your link doesn't say it applies to all Home Office applications, it specifically mentions passports, driving licenses and visas - that is, applications for official identity documents which have a photo on them.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:14 pm

From the link
Passport photo requirements
You must make sure photos for your passport, driving licence or visa meet all the rules - your application might be delayed if you don’t
Broadly applicable to HO applications. If your photo is not acceptable, they will write to you and ask you to provide another, which causes delays. £5 for photos from a photo booth!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:40 pm

It's not about the money, I absolutely dread taking passport photos according to the official rules as the natural resting position of my mouth is with my lips slightly open. So their definition of a 'neutral expression with the mouth closed' is not a neutral expression for me, I end up looking strained. It's probably irrational but I am really self conscious about this, particularly when I have to get people I know to referee the application. If I'm allowed to smile slightly the problem goes away.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm

anniecc wrote:It's not about the money, I absolutely dread taking passport photos according to the official rules as the natural resting position of my mouth is with my lips slightly open. So their definition of a 'neutral expression with the mouth closed' is not a neutral expression for me, I end up looking strained. It's probably irrational but I am really self conscious about this, particularly when I have to get people I know to referee the application. If I'm allowed to smile slightly the problem goes away.
There's plenty of places that will take them for you in a more relaxed situation, I got mine done at Max Spielman where you can look at it and say 'yuk, take it again!'

My partner's comment was 'At least you don't look like Josef Fritzl on that one' - nice......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....