ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COA 'perfect timing'?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HappyMarriage
Newly Registered

COA 'perfect timing'?

Post by HappyMarriage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 am

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to read and give all your suggestions and ideas.

My british girlfriend and I (male student) have decided to get married in six months time.

I do qualify for the COA as:

*I have an entry clearance valid for more than six months (valid for 14 months)
*I have more than three months remaining (12 months remaining)
*We were never married before.

Basically, we need to know asap if my COA application will be approved in order to plan the wedding properly.

1.do you think it is okay if we send the COA application very soon?

2.Would they be ‘suspicious’ that I entered the uk as a student in oct 07 and now I apply to marry a uk citizen?

3.is there any 'minimum time' one should 'wait', especially if we love each other so much?

We are a bit in a hurry as we we dont have that 'much' time and we MUST know if I am approved for sorting out everything: arranging the venue, the invites, etc, etc… plus we have decided not to tell anyone about 'our engagement' until i receive the approval. It would be amazing to receive the approval just before christmas so we can give the good news to our families :)

Thank you for all your help with this

Best regards

Happy

:D

HappyMarriage
Newly Registered

Post by HappyMarriage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:18 am

another thing, lets say that i get the coa approved, and then we get married in six months time...

i still need to get the FLR M for which i need a minimum of three months remaining on my visa, right?

does it make sense to send my coa soon and start all this paperwork as soon as possible? is it okay?

Thank you for all your ideas

Regards

Happy

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: COA 'perfect timing'?

Post by Rozen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:58 pm

HappyMarriage wrote:Hi All,

1.do you think it is okay if we send the COA application very soon?

2.Would they be ‘suspicious’ that I entered the uk as a student in oct 07 and now I apply to marry a uk citizen?

3.is there any 'minimum time' one should 'wait', especially if we love each other so much?

1. I don't think there's any harm in sending your application soon. They don't always stick to their timeframes, and just incase they have any queries they want you to clarify, even though your case does look straightforward.

2. I don't think they would be 'suspicious' about you wanting to marry a Brit so soon. As long as your own documentation is in order, I don't see the problem.

3. I doubt that there is such a thing as 'minimum time' to wait.

Having said this, bear in mind that you must give notice of your intention to marry to a Registrar within the validity of the COA, but you do not have to actually marry within that period. The COA is usually valid for three months.

HappyMarriage
Newly Registered

Post by HappyMarriage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:45 pm

Thank you Rozen!

your reply is very useful.

im glad that my case sounds pretty straightforward!

i reckon it is always better to start all the process sooner than later, isnt it? im just wary about being 'too early', but maybe im just exaggerating...

just read that the 'notice to marry' lasts one year, so that means taht if i get my coa approved in one month, i will have three months to give notice and one year to marry, is that right?

i have never been married before, do i still need to present some document to them that proves that?

I am about to send this coa this week and all suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thank you very much for your replies, suggestions, ideas

Best

Happy

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:10 pm

You no longer need three months remaining on the student visa to apply for leave to remain as a spouse.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:13 pm

You're welcome! :)

Yes, you have one year in which to marry, when you give in your notice to the Registrar with the COA. If you do not marry within a year, you will have to re-apply for a COA (complete with fees).

When applying for a COA, you do not have to prove that you are single, if you've never been married.

But you do have to prove that you are single, if you have been married eg. divorce/death certificate relating to previous partner.

Good Luck!

HappyMarriage
Newly Registered

Post by HappyMarriage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:41 pm

Thank you Victoria,
im sorry but i dont quite understand your post, sorry!
what do you mean with "i no longer need three months remaining on my student visa to apply for a FLR M"?

how long do i need remaining then?

THank you Rozen,
i did not quite get that 'being single document' thang, but now it is pretty clear, i do nooooooot need anything since i was never married before!

does any one else would like to recommend, or suggest anything before closing this application process and submit it this week?

THank you VERY much, lovely forum members!

Best

Happy

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:43 pm

I mean that you can apply the day before your current visa runs out, if you wish. You don't need to have three months clear.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

HappyMarriage
Newly Registered

Post by HappyMarriage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks again Victoria,

Okay, I understand what you mean with this 'no three months needed' thing.

I just wonder if there is any classification as 'too early' when someone is applying for a coa? especially, considering that i entered the uk a month ago...does that sound reasonable and acceptable to you as a solicitor? Thank you

lets imagine taht once i get the coa, i get married, im happy, then i would like to change my status with the flr m form.

could i do that short after marrying?

see, that is my general doubt about 'being 'too' early' to apply, but i guess that once i have the marriage certificate and all other documents i could just apply either by post or person at croydon and get the flr m on my passport with no problem, right?

THank you VERY VERY much for your help Victoria

Best

Happy

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't see why. The only concern would be if they thought that you lied in some way on the student visa application, but I shouldn't worry. If the rest of the application is fine, you will have no problems.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

HappyMarriage
Newly Registered

Post by HappyMarriage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks Victoria,

I believe that my coa application is complete and straightforward considering the following:

1. My student visa is valid for more than 6 months and has more than three months remaining

2. Neither has been married before

3. It is an authentic and special relationship and we will marry for love.

If they happen to 'think' anything funny, ive got loads of evidence to sustain the truthfulness of it...just worried about being too early, but if that is okay, then i reckon i will post the application this week.

Anyone else has something to add? Thanks!

Thank you V and R for your helpful replies.

Regards

Happy