ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing Passport and Changing Name

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gschandel
Newly Registered

Renewing Passport and Changing Name

Post by gschandel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi,

My Indian Passport is due to expire in next few months. My wife's passport is due to expire in next one year.

We don't have each other's names on our passports as spouse and she still has her maiden name on passport.

I have read all the requirements on VFS and this forum with some really helpful experiences.

I still have some queries if anyone can help please:

1. If my wife apply for her name change in the passport, will she be given a new passport for further 10 years or just a new passport with new name but with same timeline (expiring in next year)?

2. My wife's parents moved into a new house since we got married so her old passport (she had it prior to our marriage) has her old Indian address.

2.1 Does she need to get her Indian address changed on the new passport?

2.2 After marriage, she lives with me in UK (from day one after the marriage). But I guess being an Indian, we need to use Indian address but doesn't she need to provide my Indian address as her new address? But we have no documents to support that as never lived in India after marriage?

2.3 She has got Indian Bank Passbook with her parents new house address on it as she still holds one Indian Bank Account in her parents city. Can she use that if needed?

3. On VFS website, the Jurisdiction list suggest us to apply at specific locations only. Can we still apply in London?

Thank you so much for your help so far and I will look forward for any kind of support you can provide.

gschandel
Newly Registered

Re: Renewing Passport and Changing Name

Post by gschandel » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:31 am

Anyone could suggest please?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:00 pm

1. If passport is expiring in the next 12 months, best that you apply for a new passport under the new (married) name.

2.1 If the address currently mentioned in the passport is not where she/her family lives, I don't see why you would not want to change that to a different (Indian / UK) one!
2.2 Any change in address will require evidence of address in the applicant's name. It is the applicant's choice whether he/she wishes to have a UK address on the Indian passport or an Indian address.

See also Documents Required -> Change of address in the passport.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

gschandel
Newly Registered

Post by gschandel » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:08 pm

sushdmehta wrote:1. If passport is expiring in the next 12 months, best that you apply for a new passport under the new (married) name.

2.1 If the address currently mentioned in the passport is not where she/her family lives, I don't see why you would not want to change that to a different (Indian / UK) one!
2.2 Any change in address will require evidence of address in the applicant's name. It is the applicant's choice whether he/she wishes to have a UK address on the Indian passport or an Indian address.

See also Documents Required -> Change of address in the passport.
Thank you Sushdmehta.

To apply for new passport, I guess they will need all of the documents and proofs as they did in India?

Secondly, can we get Indian passport based on UK address when we are not UK Nationals (only resident)?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 pm

gschandel wrote:To apply for new passport, I guess they will need all of the documents and proofs as they did in India?
Check the guidance.
gschandel wrote:Secondly, can we get Indian passport based on UK address when we are not UK Nationals (only resident)?
sushdmehta wrote:It is the applicant's choice whether he/she wishes to have a UK address on the Indian passport or an Indian address.
Used to be, but looks like things have changed in the recent past.

From VFS website:
Indian passport -> FAQs wrote:Can UK address be reflected in Indian passport?

Usually an UK address is not permitted on the Indian passport. However, in exceptional circumstances only when the applicant proves that he/she does not have any permanent address in India and additionally, he/she has Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK, an applicant is permitted to reflect his/her UK address in his/her Indian passport. If necessary, the High Commission & its respective Consulates might ask for an affidavit from the applicant about he/she not having a permanent address in India. For others who would like to reflect their UK address in addition to their permanent address in India, the service is available by way of an endorsement on the Indian passport as an observation.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

gschandel
Newly Registered

Post by gschandel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:27 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
gschandel wrote:To apply for new passport, I guess they will need all of the documents and proofs as they did in India?
Check the guidance.
gschandel wrote:Secondly, can we get Indian passport based on UK address when we are not UK Nationals (only resident)?
sushdmehta wrote:It is the applicant's choice whether he/she wishes to have a UK address on the Indian passport or an Indian address.
Used to be, but looks like things have changed in the recent past.

From VFS website:
Indian passport -> FAQs wrote:Can UK address be reflected in Indian passport?

Usually an UK address is not permitted on the Indian passport. However, in exceptional circumstances only when the applicant proves that he/she does not have any permanent address in India and additionally, he/she has Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK, an applicant is permitted to reflect his/her UK address in his/her Indian passport. If necessary, the High Commission & its respective Consulates might ask for an affidavit from the applicant about he/she not having a permanent address in India. For others who would like to reflect their UK address in addition to their permanent address in India, the service is available by way of an endorsement on the Indian passport as an observation.
Thank you sushdmehta. I will start working on the application now and will be in touch if needed more help. Thank you again for helping me out here.