ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Various questions regarding BC application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

margotvella
Newly Registered

Various questions regarding BC application

Post by margotvella » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm

I am from Malta and have been here almost 15 years. Came here on a Working HOliday Visa and by the time that expired Malta joined the EU. I have built a whole life in the UK, this is my home. I have a mortgage and a child however I am not married to the father, we are not longer together.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the Knowledge of Life test as I recently renewed my qualifications and I have an English Level 2 certificate from City and Guilds but sadly the HOme Office no longer accept City & Guilds. Is that correct?

My mum is British born in London then moved to Malta. At the time of my birth though she was NOT a British Citizen. She had renounced her BC when they moved to Malta in the 1960's. She is however now British again.

Also what really confuses me is that I honestly cannot remember the exact date I first arrived in the UK let alone all the holidays I have had that have taken me out of the UK in the past 10 years.

I am so worried about that. Can you shed some light on all the queries above...I have more but that's for another time,

Thank you

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Various questions regarding BC application

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Have you applied for and been issued with a PR card? This is now a requirement for EEA nationals applying for BC.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:38 pm

First time I've ever heard of this card? Goodness me it's such a maze to get around all of it. Not sure where to start. Didn't really want to employ an immigration lawyer to help.
What would you say would be the first thing I should do?
Thank you

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Formally apply for permanent residence.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-resid ... dence-card
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LilyLalilu

Re: BC for EU and Commonwealth citizen

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi,

To naturalise via the EEA route you need to apply for confirmation of Permanent Residence (acquired automatically after 5 continuous years of exercising treaty rights in the UK, but after 12/11/15, you need the confirmation of PR card to apply for citizenship):

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 14867.html (Permanent Residence Section)

Once you have held PR for a year (or straight away after obtaining PR if married to a British Citizen), you can apply for British Citizenship as long as you satisfy the language, LIUK, absence and good character requirements as per this guide:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf

To get your entry and exit details, you can make a Subject Access Request with the Home Office/UKVI to see if they hold any relevant data.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Life in the UK Test is separate to the English requirement, you must do it prior to applying for naturalisation. You can take at any time and it is valid indefinitely. The English requirement changes every few months, best to look here for the latest information.

The PR card was recently made mandatory, or will be from the 12th November at least.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:12 am

THank you for all your replies. So best place to start is to apply for PR card. THen wait a year? I can submit biometric info at a main post office? I can take tHen take tHe knowledge of life and language test wHicH remains valid.

Reason I am doing tHis is because I am worried about tHe 2017 EU referendum. My life is Here, I Have a 2 year old daugHter. Sorry about the capital H's my laptop Has gone all funny - more expense :-(

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:21 am

Don't be too worried, it would be difficult to send everyone back home all of a sudden...
And especially if you have PR, you would certainly have a right to stay here (although of course no one knows for sure as there is no precedent for this and hence going for citizenship is never a bad idea).

Also, as a Maltese citizen you are one of the lucky EU citizens who will actually be able to vote in the EU referendum! :D
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks Lily that's reassuring - have started work on the PR applic.

Am I right in understanding I dont need to submit biometric info as I'm an EEA national? Also how long would they keep my passport? Would they accept colour copies + birth certificate?

My 2 year old daughter is British is it worth sending in a copy of her Birth Certificate as there is nowhere in the form that asks for any British Dependents other than those belonging to a sponsor. I dont need a sponsor as Im an EEA national right? Besides I am not longer with her father albeit we are still on very good terms.

Also the criteria for applying is 5 years - I have been here 15 years is that going to make a difference or aid my case?

So far these are all the questions - no doubt I'm going to have more!

Thank you.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Apologies for starting another thread - thought it's the right thing to do as now I am discussing PR application. Am re posting the wording from the locked thread -

I have started work on the PR applic, I am Maltese and have been in the UK for 15 years.

Am I right in understanding I dont need to submit biometric info as I'm an EEA national? Also how long would they keep my passport? Would they accept colour copies + birth certificate?

My 2 year old daughter is British is it worth sending in a copy of her Birth Certificate as there is nowhere in the form that asks for any British Dependents other than those belonging to a sponsor. I dont need a sponsor as Im an EEA national right? Besides I am not longer with her father albeit we are still on very good terms.

So far these are all the questions - no doubt I'm going to have more!

Thank you.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:30 pm

All documents need to be original, however, you can request them back once you have applied.

No need to send any documents regarding dependents or sponsors as this does not apply to you because you are applying in your own right.

Only non-EEA nationals need to submit Biometrics.

You can use any continuous 5 year period in the UK during which you were exercising treaty rights.

Have a read of the guide that comes with the EEA PR form - all information is also in this guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nts_v1.pdf

Good luck.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Only non-EEA nationals need to submit Biometrics.
Just to clarify this point because you have posted your initial question in the British Citizenship forum . You don't need to do biometric enrollment for the PR application.

You will have to do your biometrics when you apply for British Citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:14 pm

That is so helpful everybody thanks - one worry (out of many) submitting my Maltese passport ''I need to request for orginals back' I tought it would be obvious that I would want something like that back :-( Holiday plans for June - will I have it back in time if I submit in January latest? How do I request for them back? Thanks

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Of course you always get your docs back once your application has been dealt with...but if you want them back earlier, you need to request it. You should then have them back within 10-20 working days or earlier I think.

Either write a cover letter that you'd like them back once they have received you application (this has apparently worked for some members of this forum) or use the online form :)

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:09 am

Few months from my last post and I've taken the plunge and submitted my application for PR, this was sent on the 20th November to be precise. I have since received all my original documentation back but not the actual PR itself.

Guidance notes advise that this could take up to 6 months and if there's a problem with your application they would contact you withing 8 weeks. Haven't heard anything yet so am I right in thinking that no news is good news?

Many thanks and have a wonderful day

london2tim

Post by london2tim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:50 pm

No news is good news
There is a surge of PR cards applications since they become mandatory in the AN process - so i would not worry for the delay
I am sure you will get it back by March the latest

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi, a couple of other members have stated they have got their PR document (as EEA citizens) around 7 weeks after application. These were applications in late November / early December, so you should have yours very soon :)

I applied on 9th December and I've had nothing yet. They took the payment on the 10th and I got a confirmation email on the 31st. I've heard nothing other than this, and I sent a request on the 15th January to have my documents returned as I need my passport urgently. I'm hoping the whole lot just comes through the letterbox in the next couple of days.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you - I can't see that there would be any problems with the application. I've been here over 15 years and provided accurate data give or take a few dates where I was out of the UK in the past 5 years. For most of the times I was out of UK I have precise dates for others I have dates +/- a few days of actual travel. Perhaps that would cause a delay but they wouldn't reject the application for that would they?

Once I get my PR - assuming all is well and I will get it - I will look into passing the Life and Language test. Then am I right in thinking I need to have had my PR for a year before applying for naturalisation? So for example if I get PR in March I can't actually proceed with anything till March 2017? :-( :-(

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 pm

I think you are confusing acquiring PR with getting the document confirming PR. They are not the same thing, and it's the date of the former that counts. What are the dates of the qualifying period you used on the application? When I did my EEA(PR) application, I submitted evidence of 6 years exercising treaty rights, so I know I'll be put in the system as having held PR for at least 1 year. Then when the doc comes through, I can send naturalisation application immediately.

london2tim

Post by london2tim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:24 am

margotvella wrote:Thank you - I can't see that there would be any problems with the application. I've been here over 15 years and provided accurate data give or take a few dates where I was out of the UK in the past 5 years. For most of the times I was out of UK I have precise dates for others I have dates +/- a few days of actual travel. Perhaps that would cause a delay but they wouldn't reject the application for that would they?

Once I get my PR - assuming all is well and I will get it - I will look into passing the Life and Language test. Then am I right in thinking I need to have had my PR for a year before applying for naturalisation? So for example if I get PR in March I can't actually proceed with anything till March 2017? :-( :-(

You can apply immediately - provided that your PR status was gained for at least 12 months (in your case should me more than 12 months anyways)

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Ohhh I see thank you all for clarifying - I obviously stated my date of entry as October 2000 and stated all my employment since then - however when it came to detail about when I was out of the country I only stated dates covering the last 5 years...is that bad???

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:05 pm

I know people on this forum have answered this for others but I am also a bit confused on the whole citizenship requirements. I have received my confirmation of PR a couple of weeks ago. Do I need to wait one year on the date of this card or one year from which I believe I gained pr before going ahead with naturalisation? The reason I ask is quite a few people state that you can go ahead straight away if you provided evidence of treaty rights for six years. I provided evidence from
Working from February 2010 right up to October 2015. That's five and a half years. Will the home office back date my PR to Feb 2010 so I can go ahead with applying for citizenship after Feb next month or does this benefit only
Apply to those who managed to evidence the full 6 years?
Appreciate any response to my query. I'm 50/50 at the moment on whether to apply next month of wait till December 2016 (one year from the date on my PR card thing)

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 am

Hey alvarez :D check this out mate: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1289482

I am following your progress with interest as our cases are similar, it would be nice to know how you get on so could you perhaps PM me when something happens, in case I miss it on the forum?

Good luck 8)

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:50 am

What is evidence of treaty? I feel so ignorant to all of this? So again when submitting my PR paperwork I showed that I entered the UK in 2001, provided evidence of all employment I had, NI Number which was issued way back then, however when it came to dates that I was out of the country I only provided 5 years....I mean...I go to Malta and USA to visit family twice a year give or take, it's really impossible for me to remember 15 years worth of travelling.
Would they look at it from when I entered seeing as there is a lot of evidence or would they just go with the last 5 years ?
In which case would I need to wait a year from the date of the document I receive? I am so confused. It's a lot of money to apply for BC - I would hate for my application to be rejected and I certainly don't wish to employ a lawyer to help.
I am going to go ahead with the test soon as I understand the Knowledge of L& L result lasts indefinitely - but what about biometric information - will I need to provide that or not?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 am

Dear ''OHARA'' thank you for the link
I think best thing to do is wait till I receive my PR document and then take it from there.
I've been in the country so long just not sure which are the years they're going to be looking at.
Would you adivse that i go for BC application straight away if it's not going to fail on those grounds?
Sorry I feel so ignorant about it all.... I keep getting so much conflicting information