ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Valid Visa on Expired Passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sirlim

Valid Visa on Expired Passport

Post by sirlim » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello again! My passport is due to expire in a a year's time. Given the wait times for a new passport, I decided to renew it early. The new passport will arrive sometime in January. I also applied for a Schengen Visa with the French embassy and they gave me one with a six-month validity period. My question is if I will be able to use this still valid Schengen visa attached to my old passport to travel to France once the new passport is issued?

seekingadvice87

Re: Valid Visa on Expired Passport

Post by seekingadvice87 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 pm

In my experience, when I applied for a new passport, my embassy cancelled the old passport without prejudice because it was still valid and had valid visas in it. I was allowed to travel with both passports old (to show valid visas) and new. I don't think having more than one current passport is allowed but I guess an exception may apply for certain professions.

If you're not sure and I won't be surprised if certain countries required you to have the valid visa in your current passport requiring you to then transfer your visa into your new passport. Might as well check with the country you're travelling to.

sirlim

Post by sirlim » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Just to clarify that once the new passport is ready, the old passport will be cancelled. The schengen visa however remains valid. So my question is if the valid schengen visa on the expired passport by then is still honoured.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:19 pm

You may want to contact the consulate that issued the schengen visa to verify.

But in general my understanding is that you would be allowed to travel with a new passport, carrying the old one which contains the visa vignette along with it. That's certainly allowed when entering the UK on a UK visa, where your visa is affixed in your old passport. I've done this several times in the past. When stamping the new passport on entry, the IO just makes a comment VIPP (visa in previous passport) along side the entry stamp.

seekingadvice87

Post by seekingadvice87 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:54 pm

cs95tdg wrote:You may want to contact the consulate that issued the schengen visa to verify.

But in general my understanding is that you would be allowed to travel with a new passport, carrying the old one which contains the visa vignette along with it. That's certainly allowed when entering the UK on a UK visa, where your visa is affixed in your old passport. I've done this several times in the past. When stamping the new passport on entry, the IO just makes a comment VIPP (visa in previous passport) along side the entry stamp.

Eaxctly! Same in my own experience.