ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Ireland Such a Great Place (RANT)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:10 pm

runie80 wrote:I dont wana name and shame them as their pockets run more deep than mine.

But they are widely known

I am not taking this all debate futher

all i wanted to highlight is that we as migrants are forced into some of the things we never want to do just for the fact that there isnt any Alternative
i understand man, i dont expect you to mention them here, i might have been able help if you pm some of the names. these scams common with so called irish institutes and also in britain. some of them might not be actually registered instittions in ireland, and sadly some might have some how conned people in those countries. but you say some of these places are well known, as in universities and institute of technologies, that is a genuine shock if they do actually what you have said. it might be best nothing is said unless there is proof. but i am in no doubt you can prove this. any way your point is taken.

thestrangepilgrim
Newly Registered

Post by thestrangepilgrim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Static wrote:I got asked again today if I'm from Canada..?!? weird :D
Wow. That's a compliment to us Canucks. :P I don't know how they would have mistaken you. . . did you say 'oot and aboot'?

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Sometimes I feel as though Ireland is the Alabama of the EU - and trust me, I'd know, I actually lived in Alabama.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:49 pm

Ark wrote:Sometimes I feel as though Ireland is the Alabama of the EU - and trust me, I'd know, I actually lived in Alabama.
It's got the inbreeding and corruption but at least your entire salary doesn't go to buying a house and the drink is cheap in Alabama.

All due respect to any Alabamites here. :P

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:44 pm

sovtek wrote: It's got the inbreeding and corruption but at least your entire salary doesn't go to buying a house and the drink is cheap in Alabama.
Drink wasn't all that cheap actually, their tax was pretty step. Probably cheapER than here if nothing else due to the dollar-euro rate though :D

Property prices are not that low either, knew several people having issues on that regard as well. I have to say that I have no experience with house prices here though.

I was more referring to the complete feeling of mule-backwardsness (excuse the custom-made term) that sometimes I feel here. As though this was a rather rough and uncivilized spot in a larger and highly civilized body - just like Alabama.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Ark wrote:
sovtek wrote:
I was more referring to the complete feeling of mule-backwardsness (excuse the custom-made term) that sometimes I feel here. As though this was a rather rough and uncivilized spot in a larger and highly civilized body - just like Alabama.
Thats pretty much what it is. I think its funny when you run across those irish types that seem to think that Ireland is the "richest" country in the world. Where did they get that?

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:43 pm

sovtek wrote: Thats pretty much what it is. I think its funny when you run across those irish types that seem to think that Ireland is the "richest" country in the world. Where did they get that?
Tis a good country, don't get me wrong - but the processes and procedures are in the dark ages.

Example:

Do you know how long it took me to schedule a driving test in Venezuela? It was a two weeks wait.

How long it takes in America? Walk in, same day.

Ireland? I just took the test, I sent the form applying for it back in April.

It just seems everything is like that here, and its perfectly acceptable. It takes MONTHS to get married (NOTE: Wait time in Tucson, Arizona was 2 hours), MONTHS to take a driving test, MONTHS to get any kind of immigration related paperwork through (IF it gets through at all) - It seems no one really knows what the proper channels are, if there are any. You call public offices and they're scrambling for answers, and then they give you incorrect information to get you out of their hair.

Another example:

I called ENTEMP to ask how to get a work permit for my wife, they told me that because it was in murky waters because of the Regulation 3 (2) stuff - that her application would be automatically denied.

Instead, I write them an email asking the same - explaining the whole situation - and they just tell me to apply for a work permit normally as a spouse of a permit holder (Although I am not a permit holder, I am just an EU citizen).

Its just nuts.