ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lissa6

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by Lissa6 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:44 pm

BCarter wrote:
Lissa6 wrote:Well it seems I should eat my words, one of Camerons key points is to restrict eu citizens from bringing non eu spouses to the uk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... le-3311261

WHAT ARE CAMERON'S KEY DEMANDS FOR EU REFORM?

IMMIGRATION

No in-work benefits or social housing until working migrants have been in Britain for four years.

No child benefit or tax credits paid for children living outside the UK.

No benefits for unemployed migrants, who could be deported if they do not get a job for six months.

Restrictions on EU migrants bringing in family members from outside the EU

Sorry Emerald, I just wanted to stay positive, now we have to wait until mid December to see what happens. I think he will get rebuffed but maybe this is why there is a hold up. I'm guessing noone has any news..

Hi all.,

Sorry to hear no one has received any good news yet! Although its great that you have been able to contact and speak with someone louise2... We are at our 6 month mark in December, so have saved the number and email address..

What is annoying, is that we all wouldn't have to go this route if they didn't make it so difficult to bring your family back to your country of birth!
I can understand, there are so many immigrants in the UK, but this ruling should have been done first and not the crazy restrictions for the British people and their non British families.

If they had sorted that out and done a change to the roles before hand (restrictions and needed so much money etc to get in for EU instead of British) there wouldn't be so many issues...

Lets pray that nothing changes in the next year!
Hi Lissa, have you renounced and gotten your RC back yet? What is your situation?[/quote]

Hi BCarter,

I've written on here and been keeping track of everyone :)

I'm in South Africa, British born, my family are British. We are all returning - living with my parents who's house is up for sale etc...
I'm married to a South African, and we have a daughter. She has a British passport.. I renounced as it's the only way we are able to go about this whole move!
My daughter is only 15months, so I couldn't get over there to try meet the financial requirements.

I renounced on the 9th July 2015.. so actually my 6 months is only up in January... I renounced, they took the payment and we have had nothing at all in way of correspondence from them which is quite frustrating, I have phoned and emailed to no avail..Scary as well, considering when the house is sold we won't really have anywhere to go.. We've been dealing with this move since the beginning of the year trying to figure out how to go about it etc.

Thankfully my mom is Irish so I was able to get my Irish passport and I am a EU citizen now. Sad that I have to go this route and give up nationality, but we can't wait to get out of here and get back to the UK.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 pm

BCarter wrote: I agree with Emerald, you must nag them everyday Louise.

Lets hope and pray this doesnt pass, I wonder even if there was a change how long it would take to implement? It pretty much goes against the free movement.. So i'm hoping the EU tell Cameron no. Then the referendom isnt until the end of 2017...

Emerald, how is everything going for you? What is your long term strategy in all this?

For myself I am still hoping to get the renounciation and get the EEA route in asap, I will keep working at the new job regardless and keep saving up payslips to meet the stupid requirement if I have to.. (6 months of working + 1 month to process visa = 7 months apart from wife) or else I could SS it (though i'm very confused where I would go)

At the end of it all this whole thing is criminal, the foreign spouse cannot claim benefits under the UK way, 47% of people do NOT meet the criteria for earnings (which reminds me there is an appeal in jan about this I believe) and we are being denied our rights to having a family life :(
BC, the whole thing is an absolute mess and I really regret now not going down the SS route. However, every thread I read on this board has pointed towards the average waiting time for a stamped RN form to be 2-2.5 months. I've been married for over a year now and my wife and I have started to argue a lot due to the stress of this situation; some of this I'm responsible for, as I didn't realise the dual nationality rule until the last moment.

The documents for a Visitor Visa were sent today; although, this is also no guarantee either. I meet the minimum financial requirements also, but it is whether they believe your spouse will return to her home country and that all depends on the whim of the person who reads the application, even though, my wife has travelled extensively throughout Europe. I'm trying to stay positive about this because at the moment we just need to be together. Are the 6 months' pay slips in relation to the EEA FP?

The only alternative plan is to try and find work abroad in the EU, but that isn't very easy at the moment with recession in most countries; I'm definitely looking into it though. Right now, I'm not feeling very confident about the EEA route in this country: even if the EU veto's the restrictions, the whole process is going to be messy and delayed; there is also the possibility of exiting the EU; although, I still believe this is unlikely. There has to be a link between this and the delay, it can't be a coincidence?

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:19 pm

White Emerald wrote:

Lets hope and pray this doesnt pass, I wonder even if there was a change how long it would take to implement? It pretty much goes against the free movement.. So i'm hoping the EU tell Cameron no. Then the referendom isnt until the end of 2017...

Emerald, how is everything going for you? What is your long term strategy in all this?

For myself I am still hoping to get the renounciation and get the EEA route in asap, I will keep working at the new job regardless and keep saving up payslips to meet the stupid requirement if I have to.. (6 months of working + 1 month to process visa = 7 months apart from wife) or else I could SS it (though i'm very confused where I would go)

At the end of it all this whole thing is criminal, the foreign spouse cannot claim benefits under the UK way, 47% of people do NOT meet the criteria for earnings (which reminds me there is an appeal in jan about this I believe) and we are being denied our rights to having a family life :(
BC, the whole thing is an absolute mess and I really regret now not going down the SS route. However, every thread I read on this board has pointed towards the average waiting time for a stamped RN form to be 2-2.5 months. I've been married for over a year now and my wife and I have started to argue a lot due to the stress of this situation; some of this I'm responsible for, as I didn't realise the dual nationality rule until the last moment.

The documents for a Visitor Visa were sent today; although, this is also no guarantee either. I meet the minimum financial requirements also, but it is whether they believe your spouse will return to her home country and that all depends on the whim of the person who reads the application, even though, my wife has travelled extensively throughout Europe. I'm trying to stay positive about this because at the moment we just need to be together. Are the 6 months' pay slips in relation to the EEA FP?

The only alternative plan is to try and find work abroad in the EU, but that isn't very easy at the moment with recession in most countries; I'm definitely looking into it though. Right now, I'm not feeling very confident about the EEA route in this country: even if the EU veto's the restrictions, the whole process is going to be messy and delayed; there is also the possibility of exiting the EU; although, I still believe this is unlikely. There has to be a link between this and the delay, it can't be a coincidence?

I agree with you, such a horrible mess! The 6 month pay slips are to meet the UK minimum of 18,600 per anum, if I have to go down that route I will (stopping the renunciation), or if Cameron manages a miracle (not for us) and changes the rules so that EU sponsors need to also meet the criteria I will be ready

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 pm

BCarter wrote:
White Emerald wrote:

I agree with you, such a horrible mess! The 6 month pay slips are to meet the UK minimum of 18,600 per anum, if I have to go down that route I will (stopping the renunciation), or if Cameron manages a miracle (not for us) and changes the rules so that EU sponsors need to also meet the criteria I will be ready

Are you able to stop the renunciation? How would you go about doing this if you can never get hold of anyone? It's a big mess.. I was told that if your partner applies for the 6 month visa, they aren't able to renter the country again for another 6 months? After returning to their country.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 pm

BCarter wrote: I agree with you, such a horrible mess! The 6 month pay slips are to meet the UK minimum of 18,600 per anum, if I have to go down that route I will (stopping the renunciation), or if Cameron manages a miracle (not for us) and changes the rules so that EU sponsors need to also meet the criteria I will be ready
I don't believe he'll be able to apply that restriction to EU citizens as it definitely hinders Freedom of Movement, which is so central to the EU. I do believe, however, that Europe may accept a few tweaks. Nobody, seems to know yet just what exactly are the restrictions?

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Lissa6 wrote: Are you able to stop the renunciation? How would you go about doing this if you can never get hold of anyone? It's a big mess.. I was told that if your partner applies for the 6 month visa, they aren't able to renter the country again for another 6 months? After returning to their country.
Yes, you can stop your renunciation at any time as long as it hasn't already been processed. I dare say you'd get your passport back much quicker as well. However, you would lose the money you paid for it. Right now, it's more important to be together and waiting this out together would be much easier. I hadn't read that, but if it's true then so be it.

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:42 pm

I agree we all need to stick with it, we all in this together, and we know how it feels to be in this . We got family/friends around us but noone can understand how it truly feels unless your in this crazy mess with the exception of our partners of course.. edited to say, they also go through the high emotions we do.

i feel keep talking here, keeping our hopes up will help. My mood dips up and down, one minute you feel positive and you feel ok, the next you have trouble getting out of bed. We need to remain hopeful. Thankfully none of us have just recently submitted the RN. That would be rocky ground? Or do you feel time has no meaning now to old and new applications?

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 pm

louise2 wrote: Thankfully none of us have just recently submitted the RN. That would be rocky ground? Or do you feel time has no meaning now to old and new applications?
This is new ground Louise! I've never read or heard of anyone waiting the full 6 months before you.. What happens next can only be guessed at, but I do hope you manage to get your RN soon.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:04 pm

louise2 wrote:I agree we all need to stick with it, we all in this together, and we know how it feels to be in this . We got family/friends around us but noone can understand how it truly feels unless your in this crazy mess with the exception of our partners of course.. edited to say, they also go through the high emotions we do.

i feel keep talking here, keeping our hopes up will help. My mood dips up and down, one minute you feel positive and you feel ok, the next you have trouble getting out of bed. We need to remain hopeful. Thankfully none of us have just recently submitted the RN. That would be rocky ground? Or do you feel time has no meaning now to old and new applications?

I know exactly what you mean, I vary from angry to impatient to proper panicking. Yeah only we and our partners can understand this, I am the nervous one, my wife is calm and understanding, but I feel that I'm letting her down. I have become obsessive over every detail and investigated various routes we can take and aside from the EEA route I am extremely in over my head.

I pray you get yours soon Louise because then mine should follow, Badger them until you get answers, I hope Cameron fails on the attempt to restrict movement, I hope all of the people here get back with their loved ones as they deserve. If anyone has been lurking this thread who is in this situation then please make yourselves known - we could set up a support group lol

louise2
Newly Registered

Post by louise2 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Ok everyone the moment you been waiting for. My RN has arrived today, it was stamped 12th november.

It seems this was too late for my marriage the pressure was too much and my husband has appeared to given up, however for you all this is your hope that you wil be reunited. Mine took 6 months 1 week.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:54 pm

louise2 wrote:Ok everyone the moment you been waiting for. My RN has arrived today, it was stamped 12th november.

It seems this was too late for my marriage the pressure was too much and my husband has appeared to given up, however for you all this is your hope that you wil be reunited. Mine took 6 months 1 week.
Hi Louise, great news about the RN and Hank you for letting us know, gives others hope.

I am sorry to hear about your other news though, you say it appears as if he has given up, looks can be deceiving, this has been a tough time for you two and now you can finally be together, I think after a big heart to heart you could still do this. I hope everything he fixed in terms of your marriage and you get you family life. Wishing good things for you.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45 pm

louise2 wrote:Ok everyone the moment you been waiting for. My RN has arrived today, it was stamped 12th november.

Hi Louise,

Thanks for letting us all know, that is fantastic news! I agree with BC, this has to be one of the most stressful things any of us have gone through and at some point we've all felt like giving up [at lest I have]. I'm sure with a heart to heart and the fact you can now go ahead with the application will make all the difference. I wish you all the best of luck and I'm sure it will work out for you. Take care x

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Louise, sorry to hear about your personal circumstances, but I'm sure others will be grateful for the update that these renunciations are finally being processed.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Louise,

Thanks so much for the update! I think it has lifted everyone's spirits. I got excited for you! So I can only imagine how I will feel when I get mine.
It's such a stressful time, I hope your husband realizes that this is just a step in the road to your life together. Praying all goes well for you, don't give up, and like the others said, after a heart to heart I am sure things will look up! All things are possible :)

Murpyja
Newly Registered

Post by Murpyja » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help. My plan is to apply for an Irish passport and renounce my British citizenship. However I am am due to marry my non eu partner later this month so will be marrying with my British passport. When getting my Irish passport do I need to get it in my married name? Also will it cause problems when applying for the eea family permit that I only got my Irish passport after marriage?

oddlyenough
Newly Registered

Post by oddlyenough » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi, everyone. I wanted to share that my husband got his RN form today, stamped November 11th. He submitted it around the 8th of July. I'm not sure why it took less time than the others who turned theirs in around the same date, but I hope this means they are speeding up/clearing through the backlog, and that this is as heartening to those of you still waiting as it is for us.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

oddlyenough wrote:Hi, everyone. I wanted to share that my husband got his RN form today, stamped November 11th. He submitted it around the 8th of July. I'm not sure why it took less time than the others who turned theirs in around the same date, but I hope this means they are speeding up/clearing through the backlog, and that this is as heartening to those of you still waiting as it is for us.

I got mine today too.. Lol

oddlyenough
Newly Registered

Post by oddlyenough » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:05 pm

BCarter wrote:I got mine today too.. Lol
Wonderful news, BCarter! :D

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:24 pm

BCarter wrote: I got mine today too.. Lol
BC congratulations !!! That's fantastic news, was everything stamped and ok? What was your exact time frame of waiting?

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:27 pm

White Emerald wrote:
BC congratulations !!! That's fantastic news, was everything stamped and ok? What was your exact time frame of waiting?
Stamped and all good, even my slight name issue, they didnt care lol. Mine was 4 and a half months.. you still going for the vistor visa?

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 pm

oddlyenough wrote:Hi, everyone. I wanted to share that my husband got his RN form today, stamped November 11th. He submitted it around the 8th of July. I'm not sure why it took less time than the others who turned theirs in around the same date, but I hope this means they are speeding up/clearing through the backlog, and that this is as heartening to those of you still waiting as it is for us.

Congratulations to you too :D That's just slightly before mine. I do hope you're right about them speeding up the process. Good luck with with the future.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 pm

White Emerald wrote:

Congratulations to you too :D That's just slightly before mine. I do hope you're right about them speeding up the process. Good luck with with the future.
Thank you, i'm sure yours will appear soon, its been a long and crappy road. I feel like I am near the summit though. We can keep each other up to date on whats next and we will likely frequent the same parts of the forum lol. I hope the fact that three of these that we know of have been sent back in a few days gives you clarity of mind that you will get to see your partner soon. If I were you I would start laying the ground work and getting things ready for the next part before Mr postman brings you your letter :D
Last edited by BCarter on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:38 pm

BCarter wrote:
White Emerald wrote:
Stamped and all good, even my slight name issue, they didnt care lol. Mine was 4 and a half months.. you still going for the vistor visa?
Yes, that's already been applied for and awaiting an answer. It's been in a week so we'll get an answer within the week i'd say. Such good news people are starting to get their RN's back. It was getting pretty gloomy there for a while. You ready for the EEA BC?

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 pm

BCarter wrote: Thank you, i'm sure yours will appear soon, its been a long and crappy road. I feel like I am near the summit though. We can keep each other up to date on whats next and we will likely frequent the same parts of the forum lol. I hope the fact that three of these that we know of have been sent back in a few days gives you clarity of mind that you will get to see your partner soon. If I were you I would start laying the ground work and getting things ready for the next part before Mr postman brings you your letter :D
Before, I found out about the dual nationality rule, we had completed the whole EEA form which I printed out, so it'll just need a few tweaks here and there. Yes, when Louise finally told us that she received hers last weekend, the sense of relief was enormous; although, why there is such a time difference is very strange. It's taken, and is taking a lot of endurance to get this far so I hope everyone still waiting receives good news. You might have your wife over before Christmas? :D

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:11 pm

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote: Thank you, i'm sure yours will appear soon, its been a long and crappy road. I feel like I am near the summit though. We can keep each other up to date on whats next and we will likely frequent the same parts of the forum lol. I hope the fact that three of these that we know of have been sent back in a few days gives you clarity of mind that you will get to see your partner soon. If I were you I would start laying the ground work and getting things ready for the next part before Mr postman brings you your letter :D
Before, I found out about the dual nationality rule, we had completed the whole EEA form which I printed out, so it'll just need a few tweaks here and there. Yes, when Louise finally told us that she received hers last weekend, the sense of relief was enormous; although, why there is such a time difference is very strange. It's taken, and is taking a lot of endurance to get this far so I hope everyone still waiting receives good news. You might have your wife over before Christmas? :D
Lol yes, Id hope so.. i'm a born pessimist (as much as I try to fight it) so I will pretend January and if it works out as Dec then its a nice surprise. You given up on the visitor visa then? I think it bans your spouse from entering for 6 months after.. might complicate things.. I am not an expert though, just personal opinion. Really hoping your RN turns up asap. I think its going to!!