ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization(MN1) and travel w/o British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wire
Newly Registered

Naturalization(MN1) and travel w/o British Passport

Post by wire » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Appreciate this has been asked a zillion times, so please bear with me.

My daughter received her Certificate of Registration as Bristish Citizen, couple of days ago, after about 5 1/2 months. My family is due to travel to India today, and so its a little late to do anything. Ideally the normal sequence of events would be to apply for the British passport, Cancel Indian Passport, apply for OCI or a Visiting visa to India. I have to admit that we are in this situation, mostly due to bad planning.

So the problem now is getting back into the country.

My daughter holds a valid dependant visa, until mid next year (2016), and myself and my wife are ILR holders. Now i have read in other threads, that it is possible to re-enter the country(lets say in 6 weeks) by showing the Registration Certificate + India Passport + Valid BRP/Visa

Is this true? And if so i have another trivial question - does she need to fill in the Landing Card? as Landing Cards do not apply for British Citizens.

Also is it necessary to show the Registration Certificate to the border officials - can she re-enter by showing the valid visa. Which in my head is not a smart right thing to do, because the officials would know that my daughter is a British citizen.

The other option is to apply for COE from India. Appreciate there is another forum for out of country questions, but does any one know the processing timelines in India?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalization(MN1) and travel w/o British Passport

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:28 pm

re-enter the country(lets say in 6 weeks) by showing the Registration Certificate + India Passport + Valid BRP/Visa
She can re-enter if she has a valid visa. Carry registration certificate with you and if asked you can produce it.
And if so i have another trivial question - does she need to fill in the Landing Card? as Landing Cards do not apply for British Citizens.
She is travelling on a foreign passport so likely that it will have to be completed to avoid delays.
The other option is to apply for COE from India.
It can take 6-12 months for CoE. It is not a same day process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks very much Cr001

Just one quick follow up question - What would be my Daughter's nationality in the Landing Card. I suppose this is quite trivial, but want to be prepared when it comes to the details.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 pm

If she is entering on an Indian passport, then put Indian. You can add a note re British etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 am

Thanks cr001, most helpful as ever