ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stupidity of the highest order!! Please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Firefade

Stupidity of the highest order!! Please help

Post by Firefade » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:32 am

My neighbour applied for naturalisation at the end of August 2015. Her story:
Travelled to Ghana August 31st and returned on the 12th SEP 2010 (got a new passport which was issued on the 12th September 2010 in Ghana) The one she travelled with was an old Ghanaian passport and she wanted the new one.
Applied for naturalisation on the 23rd of August 2015 (which i believe is the right time) However,she only included the new passport which was issued on the 12th of SEPTEMBER 2010!!

I asked her to quickly send the old passport which shows she was physically present on the date UKBA received her application which she did by using her acknowledgement ref no and royal mail delivery number.

The question is,is that a big mess up? she is worried I applied 2 days before her but I have since received my approval and she hasn't? Do you think the passport got to the case worker or are they going to refuse her?

skilachi

Re: Stupidity of the highest order!! Please help

Post by skilachi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:10 pm

She probably should have waited for HO to contact her and then she can send the passport in.

Did she send the old passport with her application reference number though? If she did, then there shudnt be any problem as HO will be able to link the old passport wit her application ref no. but if she only sent the old passport with HO without Ref no. then there might be some delays for HO to match the old passport to her application.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Firefade wrote:My neighbour applied for naturalisation at the end of August 2015. Her story:
Travelled to Ghana August 31st and returned on the 12th SEP 2010 (got a new passport which was issued on the 12th September 2010 in Ghana) The one she travelled with was an old Ghanaian passport and she wanted the new one.
Applied for naturalisation on the 23rd of August 2015 (which i believe is the right time) However,she only included the new passport which was issued on the 12th of SEPTEMBER 2010!!

I asked her to quickly send the old passport which shows she was physically present on the date UKBA received her application which she did by using her acknowledgement ref no and royal mail delivery number.

The question is,is that a big mess up? she is worried I applied 2 days before her but I have since received my approval and she hasn't? Do you think the passport got to the case worker or are they going to refuse her?
Did she apply through an NCS? Just wondered whether they never questioned this? Or whether they never picked up on the fact that her passport didn't cover the required residence period. But if she did include a cover letter quoting application acknowledgement reference number, then it should have reached the HO. Hopefully she sent the passport via a recorded/special delivery and has confirmation that it reached the HO itself & not lost in the post?

On a separate note, I myself am debating whether to submit my old passport when applying tomorrow, but at the moment am convinced that only the new one would be required in my case because the current passport was issued in September 2010. Will probably ask the NCS when I go tomorrow. I'll be using the service to submit both naturalisation and passport applications at the same time.

skilachi

Post by skilachi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:49 pm

@ cs95tdg....is your ILR in your old or new passport?

Believe NCS will want to see the ILR stamp with the passport......no harm in taking all your old passport to be honest. Atleast if NCS wants to check your 1st visa issued. They will only make copies and give you back all your passports.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:11 pm

skilachi wrote:@ cs95tdg....is your ILR in your old or new passport?

Believe NCS will want to see the ILR stamp with the passport......no harm in taking all your old passport to be honest. Atleast if NCS wants to check your 1st visa issued. They will only make copies and give you back all your passports.
I have a BRP, so no ILR stamp in old passport. Have two old expired passports, which have also been cancelled with a stamp when issuing the new ones. So from what I've gathered the old ones wouldn't really be needed for either the naturalisation application or passport application, which I'll be submitting at the same time tomorrow.

Not sure if I've missed anything in what I've gathered below, but let me know if you think I have. They would use the passport to:
1) check that I was physically present in the UK exactly 5 years ago - as I'll be applying under the 5 year route.
2) check that I meet the absence threshold over the 5 year residence period.
3) and for the passport application I'm guessing they'd use it to verify my name & personal details.

I'll take them with me anyway, in case the NCS raise a question.

Firefade

Post by Firefade » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:46 am

skilachi wrote:She probably should have waited for HO to contact her and then she can send the passport in.

Did she send the old passport with her application reference number though? If she did, then there shudnt be any problem as HO will be able to link the old passport wit her application ref no. but if she only sent the old passport with HO without Ref no. then there might be some delays for HO to match the old passport to her application.
She sent the passport with her acknowledgement letter ref no which was received by HO.
I hope they are able to merge the application together.

skilachi

Post by skilachi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Firefade wrote:
skilachi wrote:She probably should have waited for HO to contact her and then she can send the passport in.

She sent the passport with her acknowledgement letter ref no which was received by HO.

@ Firefade....then she's fine. Nothing to worry about. And as long as HO hasn't sent a letter requesting for the passport again. Ho might even have match the old passport to her application or in the process to.

Firefade

Post by Firefade » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:31 pm

skilachi wrote:
Firefade wrote:

@ Firefade....then she's fine. Nothing to worry about. And as long as HO hasn't sent a letter requesting for the passport again. Ho might even have match the old passport to her application or in the process to.

I asked her yesterday to request her passport back just to see what they have on her file.She received a call this morning asking if she really wanted the 2 or just 1!! She sounded excited.she was told to pay a special delivery as she didn't attach one to her application!

Thank you for your kind reply mate.