ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa exempt - Help !

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Magsi23,
Oh dear did I rattle your cage?

Shan12

Post by Shan12 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:38 am

Hi Siggi,

I don't think it is abuse, after all, Iceman can hardly help the fact that his parents brought him along to this country on a diplomatic passport. It is no different to dependents of other categories.

Regards,

Shan

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:02 pm

hey

I was just inquiring about the rules. My 10 years is actually next year in July. Just wanted to know if it was possible to apply for ILR.

So SIGGI will find out next summer. Anyway if the government changes the rules in April, I am just gonna have to forget about it.

The Long residence rule might be removed in April 2008. Rumours.

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:35 pm

It's not abuse. If someone is here on diplomatic service then they cannot benefit from the LRC because, all the while someone is exempt from control, the Home Office annot vary their leave. I suppose technically a diplomatic could be here for 10.1 years without ever returning to their home country (unlikely as postings are rarely longer than 3 or 4 years) then return to their country, quit the job and maybe come back to the UK on a student visa for a year with a gap of less than a month between the two, and then benefit from it... but that's an unlikely scenario and probably a loophole in the spirit of the LRC...

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:25 am

Siggi wrote:This is clearly abuse of diplomatic privilege
Abuse of Diplomatic privilege occurs more clearly when diplomats commit crimes and then claim diplomatic immunity. Such is not the case here.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:34 pm

Hello

I got my File from BIA and they dont have information on my entry date and entry clearence. They just have details on applications made from 2002. I entered the UK in 1998.

Will my application be refused because there isnt any info on the system ? I have the stamps on my passport though.

Is there anyone else I can contact ? Please advice. Thanks.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:52 pm

iceman010899 wrote:Hello

I got my File from BIA and they dont have information on my entry date and entry clearence. They just have details on applications made from 2002. I entered the UK in 1998.

Will my application be refused because there isnt any info on the system ? I have the stamps on my passport though.

Iceman, hold on to that passport. Don't lose it!!!! That first entry stamp is proof of the start of your long residence stay.

meredith2
Newly Registered

Post by meredith2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36 pm

While I disagree with Siggi that the op's application represents an abuse of 'diplomatic privilege' it's certainly the case that a number of technical loopholes around exemption do allow a far easier pathway to nationality than is widely understood. I thought it might be worthwhile to post my experience here (of course these circumstances will apply to only a few hundred families in any one instance but it may nonetheless be of interest more generally).

In 2000, when still under 18, I entered the UK along with my parents and younger siblings after my father accepted a position at an international organisation based in London. We were automatically granted partial exemption from control under section 8(4) of the Act (see IDI on the subject). This differs from the total exemption enjoyed for example, by diplomats attached to national missions in London etc.

This is critical, because while time spent totally, rather than partially exempt does not count towards the nationality clock (though oddly it neverthless does towards the Long Residency Concession), this is not true of those enjoying partial exemption. The quick witted among you will have spotted the obvious loophole.

Since barring marriage provisions the Nationality act requires 5 years residence of which one must be free of immigration control, those who have been partially exempt for five years are technically eligible to apply for nationality as obviously, in a sense as someone exempt, one does not have a time limit imposed on one's stay (though it is of course implied that that privilege ends when a person leaves the job that affords them that right).

This was a bit of a shock to us. We had gone to an Immigration solicitor simply to seek advice on whether we'd be eligible for the LRC in 2010. By a happy coincidence, his firm was one of the only in London fully versed in this aspect of the law. Obviously we went for it, and were naturalised in 2006. Though it's not necessary to have legal advice, it is rather technical and our application was accompanied by about nine pages of legal advice citing the relevant precedents. I'm not at liberty to share it online as it is the work of a barrister, for which we spent a considerable amount of money, but if anyone thinks this situation applies to them, I'm happy to provide the firm's details privately.

To be perfectly honest, while I'm glad that we benefited from this provision (I've always been in love with this country, and plan to spend my life here) it does strike me as unfair that we were able to go from entrance to naturalisation without any of the FLR/ILR hurdles that most migrants have to negotiate. Indeed, the barrister who drafted the legal position has on numerous occasions raised this anomaly with the Home Office, but apparently, because it benefits only a few hundred individuals in any decade (most partial exemptees are either unaware or disinclined to apply) they are not minded to do anything about it. Anway, just another anecdote from the labrynths of British Nationality Law!

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Hello

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:21 pm

You can see if the port of entry has any info, but i think it is unlikely.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:24 pm

hi

So are you saying that if the BIA dont have any info on my entry that it is not possible to get ILR? Even if I have the passport with stamps from 1998 and proof that I was here. Proof being school registrations, certificates, etc.

Are the BIA supposed to hold info on entry clearences from 1998 ?

Thanks.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm not saying anything. I am saying that if there is nothing in the SAR then contact the port of entry.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:23 pm

Hello

The port of entry do not hold my landing card. So I guess its just the passport stamps and college certificates I have as proof. Will this be enough ?

Thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 am

I would have thought that it should be enough, if they do not have any other evidence to indicate otherwise.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi

BIA does not hold any details on issue of an entry clearance by the Foreign office, and they dont have my landing cards from 1998.

Please confirm that the passport stamps and proof (GP,college, bank letters) and sufficient for the 10 year application.

Thanks.

katherinewilliam
Newly Registered

Thanks!

Post by katherinewilliam » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Thank you for your conversations!...........!